RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2019, 08:28 AM   #1

Replacing fuel pump unit in my 2000 Pace Arrow

Okay my friends I have an update I dropped my fuel tank yesterday and it is sitting here waiting for me to diagnose the existing fuel sending unit I also purchased a new one on Amazon because of an earlier thread it gave me the unit part number I will post that later after I make sure they match up it was $85 on Amazon I have a question to all the ones that have done this before my fuel sending unit is in the tank on the ground I noticed there's a electrical plug coming out of the sending unit and then there is a pigtail which has been taped off from the previous owner my question is does that pigtail that comes out the harness go to any other accessory is there a reason why the previous owner duct-taped it everything seems to work so I could should I buy my RV but I was curious if it plugged in anywhere and if anybody knew anything I'm going to attempt to try to take out the fuel sending unit today my 2000 Pace Arrow only has 20000 miles so I'm wondering why the fuel sending unit is not working possibly because it's set up for 10 years with bad gas thanks and Happy Trails
Dash48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2019, 01:42 PM   #2

In a closed system, which I believe your fuel system in a 2000 would be, the gas shouldn't go 'bad' in the traditional sense. What's it smell like? Is the gas cap in good condition and nice and tight? Did it hiss at you when you pulled it off the first time?

Your sender might be wired into the emergency fuel shut off switch which could account for extra wires. The sender is only 3 wires and is often separate from the fuel pump which also has it's own wires.

Could you post a picture of the odd duct taped setup?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:05 AM   #3

Thanks Jim in my earlier post about 3 months ago I posted a message that the gas set for 10 years in the gas tank when I purchased the RV I had tried troubleshooting in every way prior to dropping the tank replacing relay fuses fuel filter running compression test on the fuel rail it had been determined the fuel pump unit went bad so now I drop the tank to the ground and I see the wiring harness with 3 wires connected to the pump which has 12 volts to it however I see coming off of the wiring harness is another pigtail I'll try to post a photo curious to know what this pigtail connect to it could be an accessory may be external pump just curious to know what it would go to. I also checked the emergency shut off everything was fine I ordered my part from Amazon go to troubleshoot a little bit more once I pull the fuel sending unit out and see if I can't fix the one I have with only 20,000 miles thanks for all your help
Old 12-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #4

I'm not sure what that branch is about. Yes, I suppose it could be an external fuel pump connector but where is the pump? They are handy, work well, and have a long lifetime. Even if the tank pump is good, and external doesn't interfere so if it was for an external, why isn't it still there? Unless the PO wanted to keep it for himself.

Are you sure that the connector was put in by the PO? Not the factory?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 07:48 PM   #5

Hey Jim I think I'm confusing you no I dropped the tank 2 days ago and I disconnected the three lines generator main fuel line and inbound fuel line I unplug the wire harness from the fuel tank sending unit which is in the center I noticed there was an extra plug that was taped I'll send you a photo curious in what that was pertaining to I was just thinking maybe it was an extra plug for some other external accessory but the fuel sending unit was in really bad shape rusted the float handle was broke the hose lines were rotted and there was chunks and chunks of debris inside the tank I'm in the process of flushing the tank out any further suggestions I did order the new part
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191205_094627-2.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	268728   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191205_112550.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	268729  

Tags