Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2019, 06:42 AM   #1

Replacing fuel tank

When I bought my motor home,it was raining. I didn't want to crawl around underneath of it "inspecting" everything. It looked so good on top.

A few day later, after I got it home, I was crawling around underneath it trying to see what I could do to add an "extend-a-stay" to the propane system. There is some rust on the frame, the propane line was really rusty (I replaced it and added my own version of extend-a-stay). The fuel tank is really rusty and appears to be "weeping" a little at one of the seams. There is never a wet spot on the ground under it, even after sitting for couple of months.

My question is, does anyone know how much trouble or expensive it is to replace the fuel tank? It's a 90 gallon diesel tanks on/in a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N. Freightliner chassis. I'd like to put in a larger tank if possible. There's quite a bit of room ahead, and behind it in the frame.
Flyer 516NG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #2

I am not familiar with your particular model but I have had to replace tanks before.

The trick is to get the fuel out of the tank. Electric pumps are risky due to fumes and the potential for sparks from the pump motor. You can run most of the fuel out than use the on board fuel pump to remove the remainder by removing the line from the fuel filter.

The tank can likely be dropped by placing a floor jack under it and removing the bolts from the hangers. I use a motorcycle lift as it has a wider lifting area. You might need to jack up the RV to have enough space to pull the tank out.

It is not too difficult.
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimg View Post
I am not familiar with your particular model but I have had to replace tanks before.

The trick is to get the fuel out of the tank. Electric pumps are risky due to fumes and the potential for sparks from the pump motor. You can run most of the fuel out than use the on board fuel pump to remove the remainder by removing the line from the fuel filter.

The tank can likely be dropped by placing a floor jack under it and removing the bolts from the hangers. I use a motorcycle lift as it has a wider lifting area. You might need to jack up the RV to have enough space to pull the tank out.

It is not too difficult.
I have replaced my last two truck diesel tanks with larger ones from Titan Tanks. They do not make them for RVs though.

I think the op and myself would like to know who makes custom Rv tanks and an approximate cost.

I went from factory tanks of 36 and 32 to 67 and 55 respectively at a cost of around $1700 each. The additional fuel capacity is awesome and well worth the money for me.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:30 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenny-shawna View Post
I have replaced my last two truck diesel tanks with larger ones from Titan Tanks. They do not make them for RVs though.

I think the op and myself would like to know who makes custom Rv tanks and an approximate cost.

I went from factory tanks of 36 and 32 to 67 and 55 respectively at a cost of around $1700 each. The additional fuel capacity is awesome and well worth the money for me.

I'm okay with the 90 gal. I'd just do larger if it wasn't too much more money. I'm going to check with our local Freightliner shop and see if it's even possible to get an OEM tank.

Tags
fuel, tank