Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #1

Replacing Original Fleetwood TVs

Hello Everyone,
I have just purchased and driven (from Seattle to Pittsburgh) a 1999 40 ft American Eagle. Truly an experience I will leave for another post. We didn't try to use the original TV's because the prior owner had removed the satellite receiver. I would like to replace the CRT tvs with modest flat screen tvs. I am intimidated about where and how to place/replace the tvs. For instance the original wood cabinet will not fit the dimensions of the flatscreen models. I've seen photos of flat screen in RV's that appear to be affixed to a extendable frame above the driver/navigator seats in the middle-front. I would appreciate your advice or guidance in replacing the tvs without having to hire a coach remodeler. I'm somewhat handy but not very bright sometimes (I tend to jump right in and then realize I'm over my head). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for listening to me.

Mal
mgsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

FWIW - The biggest problem will be getting the old one out. If you can figure out how to do that then mounting a panel inside the hole to mount the flat panel on is relatively easy. Adding filler strips around it is a problem in matching existing trim or picking a complementary color for them. All the connections are there and the new unit will weigh much less than the old one.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:49 AM   #3
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsander View Post
Hello Everyone,
I have just purchased and driven (from Seattle to Pittsburgh) a 1999 40 ft American Eagle. Truly an experience I will leave for another post. We didn't try to use the original TV's because the prior owner had removed the satellite receiver. I would like to replace the CRT tvs with modest flat screen tvs. I am intimidated about where and how to place/replace the tvs. For instance the original wood cabinet will not fit the dimensions of the flatscreen models. I've seen photos of flat screen in RV's that appear to be affixed to a extendable frame above the driver/navigator seats in the middle-front. I would appreciate your advice or guidance in replacing the tvs without having to hire a coach remodeler. I'm somewhat handy but not very bright sometimes (I tend to jump right in and then realize I'm over my head). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks for listening to me.

Mal
I have a 97 Dream (post your pictures of your Eagle over here http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/amer...st-211732.html )

I really like the way the TV raises up from the console and would be hesitant to mount it overhead and lose the view going down the road.

I do want to replace the tvs in our unit also. I have been advised that swing out arms are not a good way to good as road vibration takes it toll on them.

I believe I can live with a smaller tv and have it fit solid and flat inside the current cabinet and use filler strips in the bottom, I have also given thought to mounting the DVD and other "stuff" in that space.

Keep us up to date on your project.
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 03:19 PM   #4

Thanks, your thoughts are right on with my own if I put the flat screen in the enclosure. I haven't figured out how much smaller the tv will be. The vibration issue is something I hadn't considered. I should because the Sony rear view camera vibrated like heck sometimes during our recent trip.
Mal
Old 08-14-2014, 03:35 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The PO replaced mine and it does have a swing out arm, and mounted on the outside of the original cabinetry, looks good. But they put in snaps on all 4 corners of the tv so while traveling the tv does not move and is tight with the 4 snaps on it.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:57 PM   #6

Question not clear on replacement

Thanks for your help. I'm having trouble visualizing the setup. Anything that utilizes the existing cabinetry is preferable for me. Does the TV open out so that it covers the "hole" where the original tv was located. If not, what did you do with the opening where the tv used to be. If not in front of the existing cabinetry, does the swing arm attach to the top of the cabinetry. Sorry, I'm not very imaginative.

Mal
Old 08-14-2014, 06:09 PM   #7

39" flatscreen replacement

We replaced the old tv in our 2002 Revolution (actually the dealer did the removal and prep for the new ones) with a 39" flatscreen (24" in bedroom)by adding a strut in the old box, filling the opening with plywood stained to match the trim and then mounting a standard two rail tv wall mount. The tv hangs by the top hooks and locks in with the bottom two. We added a strap that keeps it from shaking when we're on the road. Had it up for a year now and just came back off a 4k mile trip with no issues at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	678
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	70832  
Yakimaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 11:18 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Get a tv that is big enough to completely cover the existing opening and do a solid mount so the tv is on the outside of the existing cabinet. In my opinion it looks the best and doesn't block any more view. All you need is one that is a couple inches larger than the old one. Mount a solid board across the existing opening on the inside and attach the tv to that. Do a search there are many posts with it done this way and most have pictures and detailed explanations.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:03 PM   #9

Just got my tv mount in this evening and plan on putting in a 32 inch flat screen smart tv in the front of my 2000 Fleetwood Discovery 37 V. At this time I plan on using the original trim around the enclosure the old tv was in. I bought a articulating swivel-tilt mount and plan on installing it tomorrow.. Will try to take some pictures and have gotten some great ideas from this forum.
mrkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

A pal has a 2000 Dram and had his front tv lift re-built to handle a modest size LCD tv. He had a cabinet shop do it, but a hobbyist woodworker could manage it too. You can't get a big screen in there, though. If you want 32+ inches, it probably has to go overhead.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 10:29 PM   #11

I put a 32 inch Smart tv and it is mounted just outside of the trim where the old one was in. I was going to leave that wood trim off but it looks better with it on in my opinion. Have no problem with it being out of the trim since the tv is only about 4 inches deep. I am thinking about installing a sound bar underneath but at this time I have a Bluray player in the empty space at this time.
mrkcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:09 PM   #12

I have a 2001 American Eagle. I just replaced the front tv which is in the overhead cabinet. I removed the old tv and bought a 42 inch flat screen. I built a bracket to accept a swing out arm mount rated for a much heavier tv and it is very sturdy. The tv mounts outside of the cabinet which left me lots of room to mount a subwoofer inside behind the tv. I also installed a speaker in each of the cabinets on each side of the tv. When travelling the tv is stowed tight against the cabinet with straps and the side cabinet doors close. When at our site the tv straps are released and the tv can be positioned at angles if needed for viewing. The side cabinet doors go up and the speakers are exposed for nice sound. It works very well and I love the subwoofer up front.
The original surround sound in the coach is now hooked up to a new dash stereo system I installed with built in satellite and bluetooth . I also replaced the rear tv with a flat screen which allowed us to use all the space behind the tv for storage. We keep our computers and a printer stored there.
Cheers

2001 American Eagle 40 US 8.9 ISL, towing 1999 Cherokee or 2008 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 with Polaris RZR in the back.
Jimalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:48 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
To MGSander. I had to same issue in my '04 Bounder. A 27" Visio fit well on an articulated mount that will let you pull the TV out from the cabinet. Take the extra effort to use lock washers on the mount screws and read the mounts instructions FIRST. One last thing. Read thru the posts on this site and others. Do your research.
Phil & Kay Atterbery (Bounders Of America #71)
"Kilroy & Dixie" w/one furry kid,'04 Bounder DP 38N, '11 Escape on a trailer. (occasionally in Wichita)
patterbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #14

Last Christmas my wife bought me a new 32" flat screen to replace the old heavy traditional T.V. in my 1996 Pace Arrow. Since I retired in Sep, a few weeks ago I finally got around to doing the job. The old one had been torn out long ago as I thought it was a hazard, plus I rarely watch TV even at home let alone out on the road. In it's place I had a large check list that I execute prior to departing wherever it is I have been (it has saved me a few times).
After considering what would be my best option this is what I came up with. I cut a card board template as my old mount was irregular in that the hole was less than square, also the roof line was slightly curved. From there I cut a piece of 3/8" ply wood in the shape of my template. I then cut a 5" strip off the bottom and top. The strips I screwed into the frame leaving me with a 20" (estimate) center chunk of plywood. I then hinged the bottom of the plywood to the lowed screwed on strip, and placed vertical slide type bolt locks on the top strip. I then mounted the television to the plywood, cut holes for wires to run through. I now have the television mounted (upper right roof line placement), no wires show, the cords to the antenna, Play Station, DVD, etc. When I want to access the storage area behind the television, I simply release the upper pins on the slide bolts, and the television swings down allowing me to use the storage area behind it, or check cables, etc. I wish I were able to post photos as this may not be the greatest explanation. Later when I start my Remodel to the entire unit I will file, sand and varnish, or place fabric that I am redoing the upholstery with over it (the woodwork).
What do you think?
YZF571 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood