Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Replacing tires Size/Brand?

I have an ‘06 Pace Arrow 37C. It has 21652 miles on odometer. Have owned it for 4 yrs.

It has the original MICHELIN tires, Sz 235/80 R22.5 XRV, all around. One is flat and it’s time to replace all 6 tires.

I’ve read good and not so good comments on iRV2 about Michelin RV tires.

In getting tire quotes around town(Grants Pass OR), I was told that this size tire is unique to Michelin RV tires. It has supposedly been replaced in all other RV tire brands with size 245/75 22.5,. This per the mgr at my local Les Schwab Tires. He said I should replace my RV tires with Toyo tires, in this new size.

What are your thoughts and recommendations regarding what I was told by Les Schwab?

Will tires in the replacement size fit correctly on my Pace Arrow ?
I was told by both Tehama Tire and Tire Pros, that putting tires in this new size on my MH would result in uneven tire wear, a stiffer less smooth ride, and harder steering/maneuverability because they are not the exact size as what’s on there now. Your thoughts?

What size tires are on your Fleetwood Pace Arrow? What brand? Are you happy with them?

Les Schwab quoted me $2058.30 for 6 Toyo tires, including Veteran’s discount, mounting, disposal, balancing etc.

I can buy 6 Michelin tires from Costco for $2540 (ordered, but they don’t install them in RVs). Tire Pros will install these Michelin’s for no addl charge.
I can save more money on the Michelin’s at Costco by upgrading my membership to Executive (prorated) and receiving a nice Costco Rewards check that reflects my tire purchase of $2540. It does mean two trips to Costco to pick up all 6 tires in my Ford
F-150 1/2 ton pickup, but that’s not really a big deal.

So should I buy Michelin’s at Costco to get the exact size I know fits my rig, or should I opt for a different brand at the new, “replacement” size?

Since one tire is flat (rear outside) I need to make a decision soon.

Thanks,
Meant2Shop
Merlin OR
meant2shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2019, 05:58 AM   #2

Based on so many stories re Michelin RV tires with cracking sidewalls, I'd opt for the Toyo tires as long as you can get a size that will work. I've had Toyo 154 tires on the Bay Star since last summer and they have performed well during 4k miles of driving.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thank you for your input.
Waiting to hear from some Fleetwood Pace Arrow owners as well, since that’s what I have.
Not sure what size your Toyo 154 tire is.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:03 PM   #4

Most of those cracking Michelins are the XRV model tires.
Michelin XZA & ZXE tires seem to have less cracking problem
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 10:31 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Most of those cracking Michelins are the XRV model tires.
Michelin XZA & ZXE tires seem to have less cracking problem
Do you own a Fleetwood Pace Arrow?

Do the Michelin XZA and/or the ZXE come in size 235/80 R22.5 ?

Thanks
Meant2shop
Old 05-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #6

I own a 2005 Pace Arrow 36D.

I replaced my Michelins with Sumitomos. They are a major tire manufacturer that provides tires to a variety of names you'd be much more familiar with, google them.

They were recommended to me by a family run tire business. Their name IS their reputation. The gentlemen who owns the business has been putting them on big gravel haulers for several years and has had zero issues with them.
Demand on tires on my coach is a lot lighter than tires on a gravel hauler.
They were $1750 out the door with Equal ceramic balancing beads and I've been very happy with them. That was back in 2013 I think, so I'm about due also.

Jim
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Replacing tires - Size/Brand

Jim: That sure is a great price you paid out the door for your Sumitomo tires!
What size are they?

Thanks,
Susan
Old 05-08-2019, 05:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by meant2shop View Post
Not sure what size your Toyo 154 tire is.
225/70R 19.5
The OEM tires were Goodyear.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Jim: That sure is a great price you paid out the door for your Sumitomo tires!
What size are they?

Thanks,
Susan
255/70 r22.5 sumitomo

tireseasy.com has them for $298 I think, and eBay for $284.

jb
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
255/70 r22.5 sumitomo

tireseasy.com has them for $298 I think, and eBay for $284.

jb
My concern about switching from an RV based tire is the ride it will provide. I am pretty particular about ride and do not want it harsher than it already is especially on some of the garbage roads we have in this country. I probably have another 2 years before I decide. Love to hear from someone who is also ride conscience that switch and satisfied with switch fro Michelins.
I have my Bounder dialed in as far as handling but ride still can be improved and certainly do not want to go backwards.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lobstah: Your tire size is quite different than my Michelin tires, which are original equipment.

Perhaps I need to call Fleetwood for tire size on my particular rig?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Lobstah: Your tire size is quite different than my Michelin tires, which are original equipment.

Perhaps I need to call Fleetwood for tire size on my particular rig?

Thanks
No need to call. Modern RVs have a Federal Certification sticker that is yellow. It's the law that each RV ships with his sticker. It has the tire sizes that came with the RV along with weights and other identification information.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:54 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Computerguy: Where would this sticker be located in my rig? Perhaps on the wall in the closet?
I’m elsewhere rt now, so that’s why I’m asking.
Thanks,
meant2shop
Old 05-10-2019, 04:24 PM   #14

Quote:
Computerguy: Where would this sticker be located in my rig? Perhaps on the wall in the closet?
I’m elsewhere rt now, so that’s why I’m asking.
Thanks,
meant2shop
Who knows? Wherever the 'tech' decided to put it on. Or if that 'tech' was lazy maybe it was thrown in the round recycling bin as it took too long to peel the backing off.
Mine is on the drivers side near the driver's seat in plain view. I've seen them in cabinet's too.
If you can't find one maybe give REV CS a call and they will send you one. Like I said it's the law.

Tags
tires