Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2021, 11:46 PM   #1

Residential refrigerator compressor/evaporator fail, why if only less than 6 monthure

I have a 2020 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40 M and the refrigerator was barely cooling in both the Whirlpool residential freezer and fridge compartments. We went on a 30 day trip and experienced this issue with another symptom that was intermittent. There was a loud metallic noise coming from the freezer compartment and could be heard very well when the bottom freezer drawer was open. When closed, could hear it, but was not loud.

The rig was driven to Oregon from SD, for repairs the local service ctr could not or was not allowed to conduct. One of the repairs is the fridge. The service advisor told me the compressor and the evaporator required replacement. In addition, the advisor told me the residential refrigerators were not meant to be placed operating on non-level ground and should be turned off while driving. Once I reached my destination, to turn on the refrigerator.

First I have a problem with this recommendation, because the operating manual does not tell me to not operate it when driving. I am concerned because I bought this rig in July and the refrigerator has only had maybe 35 days of use and no more than 4500 miles on the road.

Only 6 months, and two pieces of equipment fail and it is supposedly from driving rig with fridge powered up. This does not make sense. Then if I do not follow the advisor recommendations, these same parts will fail again.

Note: The refrigerator did cool well during one or two short trips before we took it on the 30 day trip.

Question:
1. Has anyone had the same failures with a residential rv fridge only 6 months old and less than 35 days operation?
2. Does the advisors recommendation make sense? Is this something that was done for old style fridges (non-residential)?
3. Could there be a suspension problem on my rig that is causing too much bumpiness or swaying? This is my first rig so I do not know what is normal.

Thoughts
indigoRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2021, 08:27 AM   #2

Back when I was shopping for a residential refrigerator, I was impressed with Whirlpool's warranty. My understanding is, they explicitly cover RV installs. But I think you have to call the Whirlpool guy directly. I don't think they particularly want RV techs doing their warranty work. That's just my recollection (wound up going with Samsung, Her Majesty's choice).

Seems like the most common point of failure for any of these things is the icemaker. Ironically, when mine acts up, a nice vigorous road trip seems to fix it. But, if you get the fridge replaced, might consider the benefits of an icemaker vs the potential maintenance burden. I'll buy that as a road hazard. The rest has my BS meter pegged.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The service shop is full of something smelly. Tell them to replace the fridge and not repair the compressor. It is not worth trying to replace the compressor.

We have had residential fridges in this and a previous RV. This one has been in full time use for 7 years and operated from the inverter and pulled over many miles of highway.

They do not want to replace it because it usually means removing a large window or the windshield to get the fridge out and a new one in.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:39 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Residential refrigerator compressor/evaporator fail, why if only less than 6 monthure

My residential fridge is still the original one that was installed by the factory in 2006. It is a Whirlpool. Has performed flawlessly fo 90k miles and 15 years and yes I do power it while going down the road.
I also would push for a replacement fridge as it is clear that yours has a significant issue at a very young age

Good luck!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:20 AM   #5
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoRV View Post
I have a 2020 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40 M and the refrigerator was barely cooling in both the Whirlpool residential freezer and fridge compartments. We went on a 30 day trip and experienced this issue with another symptom that was intermittent. There was a loud metallic noise coming from the freezer compartment and could be heard very well when the bottom freezer drawer was open. When closed, could hear it, but was not loud.

The rig was driven to Oregon from SD, for repairs the local service ctr could not or was not allowed to conduct. One of the repairs is the fridge. The service advisor told me the compressor and the evaporator required replacement. In addition, the advisor told me the residential refrigerators were not meant to be placed operating on non-level ground and should be turned off while driving. Once I reached my destination, to turn on the refrigerator...

Thoughts
Was this the REV/Fleetwood (Lack of) Service Center? Not surprised. Next time they will tell you it is because the color of the paint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
The service shop is full of something smelly. Tell them to replace the fridge and not repair the compressor. It is not worth trying to replace the compressor.

We have had residential fridges in this and a previous RV. This one has been in full time use for 7 years and operated from the inverter and pulled over many miles of highway.

They do not want to replace it because it usually means removing a large window or the windshield to get the fridge out and a new one in.

Ken
Here is your answer.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoRV View Post

The rig was driven to Oregon from SD, for repairs the local service ctr could not or was not allowed to conduct. One of the repairs is the fridge. The service advisor told me the compressor and the evaporator required replacement. In addition, the advisor told me the residential refrigerators were not meant to be placed operating on non-level ground and should be turned off while driving. Once I reached my destination, to turn on the refrigerator.

First I have a problem with this recommendation, because the operating manual does not tell me to not operate it when driving. I am concerned because I bought this rig in July and the refrigerator has only had maybe 35 days of use and no more than 4500 miles on the road.

Only 6 months, and two pieces of equipment fail and it is supposedly from driving rig with fridge powered up. This does not make sense. Then if I do not follow the advisor recommendations, these same parts will fail again.

Note: The refrigerator did cool well during one or two short trips before we took it on the 30 day trip.

Question:
1. Has anyone had the same failures with a residential rv fridge only 6 months old and less than 35 days operation?
2. Does the advisors recommendation make sense? Is this something that was done for old style fridges (non-residential)?
3. Could there be a suspension problem on my rig that is causing too much bumpiness or swaying? This is my first rig so I do not know what is normal.

Thoughts

Regarding the noise coming fro the freezer compartment .

This may be your issue.

If you have an ice maker and the fridge is not connected to water , the wire bail , which actuates the ice maker , raises and lowers as ice fills the tray may be in the lower position causing the ice maker to cycle trying to make ice. Driving down the road could cause the bail to drop if there's no ice in the tray.

I wired our bail in the raised position so the ice maker thinks the tray is full , no more noise.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, refrigerator, residential refrigerator