Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2018, 10:22 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Reverse bathroom door so it can be opened completely

In the original floor plan of my 1999 Southwind 35S, the bath door opens toward the front, it can't be opened completely and creates a barricade for traffic between the living area and the bedroom / bath area.

By flipping the door in the frame, it now opens toward the rear and can be opened completely up against the wall so its out of the way.

This is an easy modification that takes about 30 minutes.

See the short article with a lot of photos..
Reverse Bath Door to open up hallway – 1999 Southwind 35S

Photos below - New modified floor plan and Door opened all the way toward the rear...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FloorPlan_2.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	187838   Click image for larger version

Name:	BathDoor_4_800.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	187839  

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2018, 08:44 PM   #2

Cool and useful upgrade. Wonder why they installed it the other way in the first place.

- Jerry
APhotoWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:03 PM   #3

Interesting how floor plans work out.
My 95 Bounder 32H had the door swinging to the rear, from the factory. I turned it over and swung it to the front, as a privacy partition. Then put a mirror on the hall way wall, so we had two mirrors to stare at in the morning. I added some 3/4" oak to the door to relocate the towel bar that ended up on the bottom. My OCD showed up when I used some piano hinge to rehang the door. GRIN

Richard
House Husband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 05:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by APhotoWizard View Post
Cool and useful upgrade. Wonder why they installed it the other way in the first place.

- Jerry
I find this interesting....
When looking to upgrade recently we ruled out several MHs that had the door open to the rear.

We previously had one opening towards the front.
Separate shower & bath across the hall. So opening the door provided privacy between the front of the coach if we had company or just had windshield curtains open. Bath, shower & bedroom become one large, private dressing area.

I guess that's why many layouts sell....lots of personal preferences.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 03:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
On my '00 Bounder 36S, the WC door opens toward the rear, closing off the bedroom from the bathroom. It allows me to shave and take a shower before the DW wakes up. There's also a pocket door that separates the bathroom area from the living area in the front of the coach.
Old_Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:51 PM   #6

Didn't mention pocket door.
Ours was to rear of bathroom / shower and would isolate bath / shower from bedroom and hinged door isolated them from the front of coach.
Current Newmar Ventana actually has pocket door both forward and begind bath / shower to isolate either / both ways
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our Southwind has a bedroom pocket door.

Before flipping the bath door, it would open partially forward, out into the hall. Our issue was the door created a barrier for traffic between the front of the MH and the bath.. (probably what it was designed to do).

After flipping it, the door now opens toward the rear, and can now be fully opened so it doesn't block the hall. I installed a magnetic catch on the door and the so when its all the way open, the catch holds it against the hallway wall.

The point of the post was to show that the door could easily be flipped if you don't like it the way it is..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door