Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2015, 04:53 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Revolution 40 C: Location of Winegard OTA antenna barrel connector?

My OTA antenna stopped working last week. Did troubleshooting and found I have a partial short (reading about 45 ohms with an open circuit) on the line from the antenna location to the video cabinet.

In looking at the cable from the antenna head, I see that the cable is deteriorating and most likely moisture has gotten into it.

I also see that I have RG6 running from the video cabinet toward the antenna. The antenna to the roof bulkhead is RG59 so that leads me to believe there's a splice somewhere inside the motor home.

Before I start opening up anything on the inside to locate the connector, I'm hoping another Revolution 40 C owner has had to replace the cable and could give an an idea of where to start looking.

Thank you in advance!
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2015, 05:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dave View Post
My OTA antenna stopped working last week. Did troubleshooting and found I have a partial short (reading about 45 ohms with an open circuit) on the line from the antenna location to the video cabinet.

In looking at the cable from the antenna head, I see that the cable is deteriorating and most likely moisture has gotten into it.

I also see that I have RG6 running from the video cabinet toward the antenna. The antenna to the roof bulkhead is RG59 so that leads me to believe there's a splice somewhere inside the motor home.

Before I start opening up anything on the inside to locate the connector, I'm hoping another Revolution 40 C owner has had to replace the cable and could give an an idea of where to start looking.

Thank you in advance!
If you have a Winegard it will usually have an power supply for the amplifier installed in the video cabinet. It usually has a pushbutton for power-on. It will be between the coax from the antenna and the distribution unit. It has coax from the amp to the other devices.

It is the rectangular unit next to the "post" (slightly right of center and 1/2 way down) in the picture ... fits in a single electrical box.

here's a better pic

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-RV-70.../dp/B000GGL4CG
Old 01-22-2015, 08:51 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Hi bruceisla,

Thank you for your reply.

I had removed the power supply to test the cable. That's how I discovered the cable from the power supply heading through the ceiling toward the antenna is RG6.

When disconnecting the cable from the actual antenna to check it, that's when I saw it's RG 59.

The RG 59 cable heads from the antenna head, down the mast, and then enters into the coach through a 1" PVC conduit. This conduit is next to the antenna mount. I cut away a bit of the dicor and pull the boot covering the conduct. Conduit is sealed up with a dicor like product.

So, my question is with RG 59 heading into the coach and RG 6 coming from the power supply, where might a connection be located in the ceiling?

Just asking to reduce the amount of time and effort to locate it in the event someone has already done exploratory work.

Thanks!
Mr. Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dave View Post
Hi bruceisla,

Thank you for your reply.

I had removed the power supply to test the cable. That's how I discovered the cable from the power supply heading through the ceiling toward the antenna is RG6.

When disconnecting the cable from the actual antenna to check it, that's when I saw it's RG 59.

The RG 59 cable heads from the antenna head, down the mast, and then enters into the coach through a 1" PVC conduit. This conduit is next to the antenna mount. I cut away a bit of the dicor and pull the boot covering the conduct. Conduit is sealed up with a dicor like product.

So, my question is with RG 59 heading into the coach and RG 6 coming from the power supply, where might a connection be located in the ceiling?

Just asking to reduce the amount of time and effort to locate it in the event someone has already done exploratory work.

Thanks!
I don't have a Fleetwood so I'm speculating.

RG6 is far more modern so I'm guessing it was added later. Assuming it's an extension or repair, I would give it a tug at the cabinet end and see it someone folded it an tucked it into the conduit.

In my case, when I had a coax problem, I discovered the antenna had a 1 ft. (maybe longer) stub that then went to a barrel and then a long run to the cabinet. The barrel was hidden in the roof and Dicor'd near the antenna mount .... totally corroded. Pretty much found it by accident while pulling all the Dicor out to see if I could run a new coax.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:14 PM   #5

I replaced my cable on my southwind with the same problem . The cable ran straight to the passenger side of coach I had to remove the top panel inside of cabinet . If you pull the cable from the roof mine had a barrel connecter there too. My cable appeared to the back but only 6 inches the when forward toward the switch. I had to cut alot of tape. When replacing cable on the roof make sure the loop at the bottom is still there otherwise not enough slack for up and down motion
3wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Not much help here but one of those wires will go to the bedroom & also probably was wired for satellite. A call to American Coach may help resolve it.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:13 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found a connector on my coach just inside a cabinet near the antenna entry wire behind a piece of panel.

Tags
antenna, cat