Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
lpb

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Question rhino line or line-x coating

We own a 2006 Tioga 31M Class C and the area behind the driver and passenger doors get quite a few dings from small rocks, gravel, etc. The area is about one foot wide and 3 feet high on each side. Thought of having it sprayed with rhino or line-x instead of touch-up paint. I guess larger rock guards/mudflaps would help, but would not delete all dings. Anyone ever try these coatings on your motorhome/trailer?
lpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2010, 06:25 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
I had not thought of using either of those on my motorhome but have used them on three pick up trucks. I had the coating added below a crome stripe that runs about a foot above the bottom of the door. It made the washing the vehicles much easier and actually looks pretty good. I live down a mile of rock road and it certainly helped prevent chips in the paint. Two of the pickups were white and one was gray.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #3

Have truck beds coated one with Rhino and the other with Line X. Both quality products. Have had odd items and seen non standard parts coated and worked fine. A few years ago a dealer coated part of his shop roof to repair hard to find leakage.
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:15 PM   #4

Paint your wagon

If your siding is metal, possibly vinyl but I do knot know, test try, PTM, paint to metal about 35 a gallon from sherwin williams. I used a 3 in roller and 2 coated after 2 day drying. Not cold or humid temperature.
It looked super on a 78 GMC till the day I parted with it.
Best of luck
Orchardhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:52 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Line EX works well enough that Escape Travel Trailers offers it as an option on the front of their travel trailers...
Old 10-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Call San Diego RV Center as they offer a spray coating like Line X. I guess the newest, latest and greatest is to use this spray on coating to replace the rubber roofs on MH's and trailers. Supposedly the insulation R value rating is higher with this new spray on coating vs the traditional rubber roof. Also repairs are cheaper and easier as they just spray the place that needs to be redone.

Last time I was at SD RV they had a Toyhauler trailer there and they had sprayed the roof and the lower front end where the rocks were chipping the fiberglass. It looked pretty good. They used an off white color and unless you were looking for it you really did not see it.

BTW I have had Line X brand coatings on two pick up truck beds and both have been great. A friend has the older Rhino Lining and his has a chocky faded look to it. I was told the newer Rhino Lining does not do this, but that is only what I heard.
dezertcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Used line X in my last 3 trucks, good stuff.
Old 10-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #8

Spartan Chassis
That's interesting. I had not thought of using it on the roof. Anyone know if it has been applied over a rubber motorhome roof? My guess is the membrain would have to be removed first?

The only drawback I can see is it would probalby be heavier than the rubber currently in use. But it sure would be more durable and forgiving of abuse.
Ford Ranger Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:49 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
One bad thing is, for a roof it is heavy stuff.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
That's interesting. I had not thought of using it on the roof. Anyone know if it has been applied over a rubber motorhome roof? My guess is the membrain would have to be removed first?

The only drawback I can see is it would probalby be heavier than the rubber currently in use. But it sure would be more durable and forgiving of abuse.
Regarding the spray on roof coating. I was told they remove the old rubber roof and all accessories on the roof. This is the same as if you were just replacing the rubber roof with a new one.

I was told the new spray on roof is heavier then the rubber roof, but not a huge difference. It is twice the thickness also. Does anyone know what the rubber roofing material weighs? I would guess under 100lbs total, so maybe the spray on is 180 to 200 lbs? That is not really all that much when spread over 30 plus feet. I think they said it was 1/8 to 3/16th of an inch thick? I would have to think this is much lighter then a fiberglass roof. And the spray on coating does not have to be as thick as you would see in a pick up truck bed, because your not abusing it and dragging stuff on it like you would in a truck.
dezertcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:29 PM   #11

I have wanted to use one of those on the lower portion of my coach for some time now. I don't know how well it will stick to aluminum though. I know they are doing Rhino Shield on houses in a variety of colors.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to PugPug
I saw a new Ram pickup with it sprayed on in Tucson last winter. The guy was from Canada and he sprayed it on the front of his dually fenders to prevent rock chips. Don't know what brand but he said they had colors to match about any. Didn't look bad but not as good as good shiney paint but probably better than shiney paint with a bunch of nicks and dings in it.
PugPug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:34 PM   #13

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most coatings of this type will adhear only to metal they dont do so well on plastic fiberglass or vinyl. We were going to have the whole bottom 18" TO 24" of our coach done but the local guys for line X and rhino advised against it on the fiberglass parts of our coach.
skb0203 is offline   Reply With Quote