Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2018, 06:41 AM   #1

Ride suspension

We have a 2005 Fleetwood Expedition 37U on a Freightliner chasis. We are looking for suggestions on improving our ride. Any suggestions on the bumps and swaying. Thanks.
Cdsmith96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2018, 07:49 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
1. Correct tire pressures with high quality tires. I run Toyo's and played with the pressures finding 5 psi over the sticker value gave us the best ride. Don't scrimp on cheaper tires. Tires are most important for ride and safety. One blowout on cheap tires will cause enough damage repair costs that will offset the higher quality tire cost.

2. Correct loading and I'm not referring to total weight but how it's placed in the coach. Keep the load low as in the basements and as centered between the front and rear wheels as possible. I go with full fresh water as the tank location is usually between the main frame of the chassis. I put all of our stuff in the basements and lower cabinets inside the coach. Lighter stuff can be stored overhead but the lower your load is the better the coach will handle.

3. Adding chassis mods to improve ride. There are many mods that can be done with after market kits. Additional or larger sway bars, Sumo springs and steering stabilizers are just a few of the kits available. But before you spend the cash for any of these kits try step one and two first. My coach is on the Ford F53 chassis and all I did to it other than step one and two is what's called the Cheap Handling Fix. I don't think your chassis has this setup though. I also raised the driver seat 3" which gave me better control of the steering wheel.

Hopefully these suggestions will help improve your ride.
Old 08-29-2018, 06:14 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Weigh your coach and check that the tire pressure is set for your weight. That made a world of difference in my ride. The dealer where I bought my coach had the too much air in the tires by 20 pounds.
Old 09-01-2018, 05:50 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As the others have said, get your coach four corner weighed when it is loaded for travel. Then using the tire manufacturer's pressure guide adjust the air pressure in the tires. My second suggestion would be to check your shocks. RV shocks have been known to go bad with only 20k miles on them. Hope you can improve your ride.
paddler1954 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension