Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kartvines View Post
No the problem developed when I couldn't keep fuel in the bowl,to keep it running I guess either it bled down to the heads or due to living in almost desert it evaporated, also the last time I got it smog they told me I needed to have it rebuilt. It wouldn't stay running even after I filled the bowl manually, it would start but would not stay running. So I guess I will yank it and hopefully I can get it back on successfully, and it wont need too much adjustments after the fact.
Sounds more like a plugged filter or a fuel pump, could be a hung (stuck) float valve in the carb. I would get someone to look at it before you start throwing $$$ at it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2014, 07:06 AM   #16

Kartvines search here 2 years ah on a post by jim elliot I believe he went by jimitaska83 he found a place to custom build them about $250
whem2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 07:51 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by The General View Post
Are you or have you been a "pothead?" Colorado wants you!
Pot METAL? Yes

Pot HEAD? No, never even tried it. Not ever. And won't.
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #18

Very easy carb to rebuild, Make sure you replace float, plug gasket between base plate and bowl , back out idle screws 1 3/4 turns and you'll be near final adjustments! Most kits come with good inst. Try to get Borg Warner!! Done 100's and it's best kit!!
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
First off Sorry too hear of your loss, Got to be tough. I think it might help you to move forword getting back on the road, there are lots of single persons out there that are in the same boat as you.
I have a 82 PA, I used a spray can of Carb Cleaner and that did wonders, Ours had sat pretty much the last 6 years, the PO drove back and forth to and from storage.He had had a stroke and stopped going on trips. I agree with other posters about fuel filters we have replaced them 3 times now and also replaced the filter on the carb. It runs great but want to get all the crap out of the tank. I also used several bottles of Lucas fuel treatment. The third time they were clean so we re-installed them. Again runs top's. To bad there isn't a Pace Arrow Club. May be we will run into each other some day. Would love to get back too Ca. I used to drive OTR in a Peterbuilt to the West Coast weekly. Alot of places I wanted to stop but couldn't but now I can.
Best of luck to you.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We used to call them Quadrjunks and replaced them ASAP.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:49 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We used to call them Quadrjunks and replaced them ASAP.
Edelbrock manufactures the Q-Jet and the AFB with many refinements. Worth looking into if you decide to buy a carb, going to be a few more dollars.
Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
So I guess I will yank it and hopefully I can get it back on successfully, and it wont need too much adjustments after the fact.
If you do pull it, take pictures and mark everything you take off, so you can reconnect everything correctly.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It has been more than a year since I have been on this forum since the death of my wife, but I need to think about getting my 83 Pace Arrow rolling again, I am sure it needs a new carburetor it has the stock ROCHESTER QUADRAJET CARBURETOR, so my questions is being I have to spend the money anyway should I replace it with the same or will another one be better and if so which one
I know nothing about carburetors, but I'd like to extend my sincerest condolences to you on the loss of your wife. I hope you can get your rig up and running soon, and enjoy the travels.
Old 01-13-2014, 05:36 AM   #24

The base plate has plugs over idle adj. screws, need to carefully hack saw groove in bottom if base plate, tap out plugs, adj carb then replace plugs. Kit will have new plugs, Where you, if close to Memphis I'd be happy to do it for you, (retired lots of time to help others in between travels). Happy Travels. LT.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:33 AM   #25

As for Quadrant junt!!! Once rebuilt with good kit, better, last longer then any replacement, kits have gaskets to stop flooding, floats were the curse, new gasket in kit for welsh plugs, stops bowl leakage, These were great carbs once rebuilt correctly, Started overhauling carbs 1969,, still work on race carbs, not some weekend do it yourselfer!! Most after market rebuilts were sent in because they were to screwed up and will still have problems, FIX what you have, engine, cam, lifters, manifold designed for That carb, Use It!!!!
Old 01-13-2014, 11:48 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltfishin View Post
As for Quadrant junt!!! Once rebuilt with good kit, better, last longer then any replacement, kits have gaskets to stop flooding, floats were the curse, new gasket in kit for welsh plugs, stops bowl leakage, These were great carbs once rebuilt correctly, Started overhauling carbs 1969,, still work on race carbs, not some weekend do it yourselfer!! Most after market rebuilts were sent in because they were to screwed up and will still have problems, FIX what you have, engine, cam, lifters, manifold designed for That carb, Use It!!!!
I'll rebuild for cost of kit, cleaner, no labor, and tell you over phone how to make final adj, if you have good ears, You can do it!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:09 PM   #27

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Itfishin has it right, rebuild the original, the original carb is jetted and dialed in for that particular application.

However the shortcomings of the Q-Jet need to be addressed as have been mentioned already. Secondary AND primary metering wells need to be resealed they ALWAYS leak. Also, something often overlooked is the top plate (horn) is usually warped which causes a big vacuum leak, so it should be carefully straightened before reassembly.

Parts store rebuilds are crap shoot and many are just cleaned up with new gaskets but the underlying problems never fixed.

New is fine if you're willing to rejet and get it dialed in for your big-block application.

Best of luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote