Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2022, 02:37 PM   #1

Rodent Proofing

I have a 2014 Bounder 33C and cannot find rodent entry points. I have gone out at night and had the wife shine bright light and don't see it from the outside. Anyone ever found a rodent entry. I seen all the repellent posts, I want to find the entry holes. Any thoughts will be appreciated. Fleetwood says the most common is slide corners and washout compartment.
cparent593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2022, 03:50 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Took me several years, but this winter I seemed to have finally figured out where they were getting in to my rig. It was through a very small vertical opening in the firewall. Took very bright lights and positioned them under the dash at various levels and angels. Went out under the hood and looked for any light. Repositioned the light and checked again. Didn’t see anything initially, but finally saw some light coming through. Stuck my finger up the gap and sure enough there was an opening. Stuffed that with copper pot scrubber and haven’t had a mouse inside since. I still set traps inside just in case. Still have traps set under the hood and keep catching them there on a consistent basis. But at least they aren’t getting in and I am catching them before they have done damage. Hope this helps.
jhlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 03:53 PM   #3

I removed everything this year to get a baseline on the mice. Instead they ate my toilet paper and fire starters. I also had 4 snap traps in for the entire winter. In the beginning I was getting 2-3 a week then it slowed over Jan and Feb. come March the invasion was pretty much over. I live in the woods so getting rid of mice and other varmit just won’t happen.

On a side note I think it was a bad year for mice. The ravaged my small barn this winter. To the point that I am tearing it down. The floor was saturated with urine and feces was everywhere. Luckily the big generator and small tractor were spared.

I find the best thing to do is snap traps with peanut butter. Anything else is pissing in the wind. Electric gizmos, peppermint, and voodoo don’t cut it. Remove the food source and use snap traps. Eventually they stop coming.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 05:30 PM   #4
US1

If you leave your sewer hose and city water hose attached, mice can make their way into that compartment thru the access covers. Once in the compartment, mice will have free roam to enter the center of the RV that houses the water/sewer tanks, water lines, etc, which also are open to the furnace heater duct to prevent freezing. Just takes a mouse to crawl inside that duct hose and eat thru the flexible ducting and be inside your RV. Or possibly thru an oversized hole drilled for water lines or electrical wires that didnt get sealed.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:25 PM   #5

Thank you for the responses. I have Found some holes but I think They are coming from the engine area. I found A small gap where the brake peddle is. Gonna block it. Have to also check closer in the washout area. As for the traps with peanut butter I was Told that the peanut butter will invite rats that normally wouldn’t come.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:25 PM   #6

Also, Fleetwood said most common entry is corners of the slides??
Old 05-10-2022, 01:29 PM   #7

Rodents/bugs

In our Bounder found several entry points, took some effort to find them all. The 2 major ones were in both corners of the firewall, Fleetwood sealed them with sponge foam which deteriorated over a couple years 🤨. Used low expansion foam to reseal with no more problems. A bigger issue that seems to be evolving especially on the east coast is the Asian stink. (Brown Marmorated stink bug). They can slither through any little crack and once established they are hard to get rid off. Three times the size of a normal stink bug and three times the stink. Just a heads up to RV'ers on the east coast.
ak-snopro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:39 PM   #8

We have 14 Bounder 33c also. Used flashlight under driver's side and discovered light coming thru left of steering column thru grommet that was stretched out by a cable. Stuffed that and no problem
Letsgo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 03:56 PM   #9

I saw this post when it first came out. Didn't have anything to contribute as I've not had a problem.
OP musta jinxed me. Had this 2016 35K since Sept 2015 never a problem.
Saw a few droppings and knew I had a problem.
Snap trap out last night. One less rodent mouse alive in the world today.
Can we not jinx me anymore? Puhlease!!!!!!
Old 05-10-2022, 04:50 PM   #10

Op, assuming you're stationary, that is parked for a while. If can find where they're getting in..you must eradicate. Tsc carries fly bait, mix with tsp peanut butter put in several places out of pets reach. When you do this, 1-3 days all gone. Leave the bait out until you leave the area. I've been doing this for at least 30 years., if it's not the mice in your rv along with other vermin, chipmunks in the engine compartment, I leave a little dab under the hood of my truck 24/7/365
Ymmv. :
mickeybitsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 08:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cparent593 View Post
Also, Fleetwood said most common entry is corners of the slides??
I have the Southwind 32VS, and I too had a rodent problem. By all means check the firewall, where the electrical bundles pass through and check for any openings. ALSO, check both Pilar’s where you would normally pass radio antenna cables etc. what I found was that Fleetwood totally ignored these two areas and the mice/rats were merely climbing up into the overhead. A spray can of expanding foam will do the trick. Also-also, I got a can of wasp spray and sprayed most of the wiring in and around the engine and the wires leading to the back of the coach. Rodents don’t like the taste of the spray and will leave them alone. Good luck.
Bonron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 10:30 PM   #12

No easy tricks. One bit of advice is, if you see factory foam don't assume it was properly done. I had several areas where wire bundles and pairs of hoses were foamed around - the key word is around, yet there was a pinky sized hole in the center of the bundle. Don't just look for holes, feel for them. If the manufacturer used plastic wire covers, if they are too large for the wire bundle they become mouse runs.

Sometimes you won't get the openings on the first try. It took me several, and each time I thought I'd found them all. Clean up the mouse droppings if you see them - WET, with either a disinfectant, or bleach water - not dry, because some mouse species (deer mice) carry Hantavirus and secrete it in their feces and urine which when dry can be inhaled.

Inspect regularly - new droppings if caught early can be a clue as to the area they are getting in. That's how I found the gap between the wire bundles coming up under the dash. I found fresh droppings in the dash area. Other clues are bits of something chewed up like styrofoam or other insulation.

As for spraying wiring with hornet spray beware, a common carrier is kerosene - aka petroleum distillates.

Searching on a windy day can help because sometimes if you feel around in suspected areas inside, you'll feel a draft.

It really takes a lot of looking, poking and searching close up to find the holes. Think like a mouse looking for a way in. If a hole is being used regularly you'll see a greasy residue from their fur. The opposite is sometime true on the outside of a hole. You'll see a clean spot where they've wiped the road dust off. Be patient and keep looking. NEVER assume you've won the fight even if you find all the entry points. Age and vibration can open new holes. Keep baited traps or sticky boards inside.

Good luck.
astrnmrtom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 07:46 PM   #13

Best trap...

5 gal bucket (plastic)
Yard stick
stiff wire (cut to width of bucket)
small PVC/PEX pipe cut to jut slightly smaller than bucket width

Cut (2) holes at top of bucket near edge for the stiff wire (180 degree opposite each other)

Slide the PVC and/or PEX tube over the stiff wire. Wire goes into one side of bucket first. Then bend each end slightly to keep it on bucket. Smear peanut butter over the center of the PVC and/or PEX. Use the yard stick attached to side of bucket allow mice/rats up to the top.

They will go to center then the PVC/PEX will spin dropping them into bucket. Fill with an appropriate amount of water to drown them.
VIN#1GBJP37N4R3314754
Flight System G-Man 360 generator man (PM me)
1972VWbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2022, 06:16 PM   #14

Thank you to everyone for all the comments. Next trip I will Be on the hunt.