Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2022, 08:08 AM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to dennydiver
Angry roof ac's not working

neither of my AC's will kick on I listen but nothing happens no noise nothing.
I am not sure where the relays or breakers or fuses are located and I cannot find them, so I am not sure where to continue or just take it to a repair shop.
Not sure what brand the AC's are but about everything is Factory or at looks that way. The controller is in the bedroom and has both units as zone *1 & #2 and I can set thermostat on both and it is on Auto for both.

I purchased MH in Feb had heart attack in March and have never been out with it yet I am still getting it ready. I just had the rt windsheild replaced and they had it for 3 weeks after saying 2 days and they informed me that they had to jump it 2 times (always inside never plugged in) could that have caused it somehow.

I have an 2002 Fleetwood Discovery 37U with Cat 7.2 and Allison
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2022, 08:54 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
You need 2 things for the AC's to work. 12VDC and 120VAC. Do you have both?
Old 06-16-2022, 09:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryStone View Post
You need 2 things for the AC's to work. 12VDC and 120VAC. Do you have both?

yes it is plugged into 50a shore and all batteries are fully charged and 3 mo old
Old 06-16-2022, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennydiver View Post
yes it is plugged into 50a shore and all batteries are fully charged and 3 mo old
Plugged in doesn't mean properly powered up .

Do you have a multi-meter to check 120 volt power through the coach ?

EDIT: Do I understand correctly from your first post that you haven't located the 120 volt breaker panel ????
Old 06-16-2022, 10:33 AM   #5

yes I do have a vom and do have 120 throughout as well as 12 v
Old 06-16-2022, 10:34 AM   #6

I cannot find the 120 panel and do not know where else to look
Old 06-16-2022, 10:43 AM   #7

Basics

There is an engine start battery often called chassis battery. Boosting to start means the chassis battery is low or dead. Storing disconnected for a month may result is a low chassis battery.

There is a house battery bank. This bank supplies 12 volts DC for house lights, water pump, fans, media center, and some other things. It also supplies 12 volts for control boards on absorption refrigerators, furnaces, air conditioners, and water heater.

There is a 12 volt converter/battery charger. It runs when plugged into shore power or when generator is running. It supplies 12 volts to all house appliances and charges the batteries. It may charge the chassis battery as well. Some do not.

12 volt Side of Life part 1
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

12 volt Side of Life part 2
The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

There will be switches and other controlling devices that connect and disconnect all these systems. Different RV's have different control systems.

For them to work properly, switches and controls need to be set correctly.

12 volt house system is frequently controlled by a switch near the main entry door. Switch it "ON" to supply 12 volts to the air conditioning controls.

Of course you must connect the shore power cord for 120 volts AC to the air conditioning. Shore power will also charge the house batteries and possibly the chassis battery through the converter/charger mentioned above.

See page 166 of the owners manual.
https://www.fleetwoodrv.com/wp-conte...d_MY22-1-1.pdf

There are lots of other possible reasons the air conditioning will not run, but start with these things.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:04 PM   #8

If you most 12v interior lights working, a couple can be 120v in some MHs, as well as read out on thermostat your providing 12v control at least to the thermostat. There a cables going out of thermostats owners have had poor connections there but I would check basics first.
The breaker panel/s should be in a cabinet or closet. Is there a readout panel that shows incoming voltage and amps on each phase of 120v. The two breakers feeding this panel and "EMS" energy management system can be tied into is random breakers but one will be on each phase. If these random breakers are off EMS can shut ACs down or possibly one that does work. This has tripped up seasoned owners after shutting off or tripped breaker not to AC ,microwave washer/dryer ect.
If there is an inverter shut it off and start plugging in a lamp, fan or power tool to every outlet, test microwave tv ect.anything 120v. Auto transfer switches are often an issue with loss of 120v ,80% of the time it's burnt/loose wire connections. ATS connections should be examined and tightened yearly. Try the generator it uses different contactor in ATS .
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 12:11 PM   #9

Finding your breaker panel should be first.
Old 06-16-2022, 01:15 PM   #10

Quote:
I cannot find the 120 panel and do not know where else to look

On a lot of units is on side of bed platform.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:08 PM   #11

Problem solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
On a lot of units is on side of bed platform.

Well I want to thank you very much.

As I said this coach is new to me as I bought it in late Feb. and had 4 stints and 3 by passes about 15th of March so not much time to get acquainted with her.

After looking all over the entire coach for an ac panel and never finding one I finally looked all around the bed and under the foot of the bed I found a door and after opening up the cabinet door surprise a very nice 120 ac panel with two circuit breakers tripped and after closing both AC breakers they just worked as they should.

Thanks again
Old 06-16-2022, 02:51 PM   #12

Quote:
Well I want to thank you very much.

As I said this coach is new to me as I bought it in late Feb. and had 4 stints and 3 by passes about 15th of March so not much time to get acquainted with her.

After looking all over the entire coach for an ac panel and never finding one I finally looked all around the bed and under the foot of the bed I found a door and after opening up the cabinet door surprise a very nice 120 ac panel with two circuit breakers tripped and after closing both AC breakers they just worked as they should.

Thanks again
Denny since you have heart issues I would consider it very important to get some experience before you get far from home.

Make sure your generator can handle two A/C. It is a common practice when driving in hot weather to run the generator to power one or two A/C since the dash air can not keep up.

My old MH has a 4 button comfort control station which is obsolute and requires 12 vdc. Many discusstion on those issues. I modified the bedroom A/C to run without 12 vdc and have a portable geneator that can run it.
Old 06-16-2022, 02:52 PM   #13

Good you got it sorted out. Forgot about the bed base.
But you got some education on what does what and why. I would still check the ATS box, wire connections and tighten to be safe 15 minutes preventive maintenance can save a lot of issues. The wires that get loose are wire screw down terminals . Not necessarily factory crimped loops with screws on certain type ATS large relays with single bar and open contacts, that can be buried behind genny , shore and breaker box feed wires/terminals/din rail . Not a bad idea to try to check them but not if you have to remove other wires or din rail of terminals to get to them. I replaced one if these relays in Esco, Lyght, Elkhart type ATS relays are buried but terminal rail is right in front easy peasy.
Good luck with coach and your health.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof