Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Hi All,

I'm trying to find information on the internal construction of the roof on my 1996 Southwind 37Y, P30. Main questions are about the joists (rafters?); what is the spacing, and where do I look for the first one to measure from to find them all?

Fleetwood told me they're aluminum, and they recommended using a stud-finder. The person I talked with tried to be helpful, but didn't have much info. I asked for wiring and plumbing diagrams and any information on the roof that was available. They sent me some really blurry photocopies of wiring diagrams from a different year and model.

I did buy a new stud finder (decided my 20 year old K-mart special was not going to do the job). Bought the best one they had at Home Depot, says it finds aluminum, steel, wood, etc. No luck on this roof. It goes off all over. Tried on deep and std setting both. Just too much variation in density.

As a last resort, I'll just drill a test hole, and run an 18 inch metal skewer front and rear. I imagine I'll hit something within 36 inches .

Any info or advice appreciated.

Mac
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2005, 11:06 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Hi All,

I'm trying to find information on the internal construction of the roof on my 1996 Southwind 37Y, P30. Main questions are about the joists (rafters?); what is the spacing, and where do I look for the first one to measure from to find them all?

Fleetwood told me they're aluminum, and they recommended using a stud-finder. The person I talked with tried to be helpful, but didn't have much info. I asked for wiring and plumbing diagrams and any information on the roof that was available. They sent me some really blurry photocopies of wiring diagrams from a different year and model.

I did buy a new stud finder (decided my 20 year old K-mart special was not going to do the job). Bought the best one they had at Home Depot, says it finds aluminum, steel, wood, etc. No luck on this roof. It goes off all over. Tried on deep and std setting both. Just too much variation in density.

As a last resort, I'll just drill a test hole, and run an 18 inch metal skewer front and rear. I imagine I'll hit something within 36 inches .

Any info or advice appreciated.

Mac
Old 03-05-2005, 02:11 AM   #3

Mac and Chris---Back in the year 1996, I took a tour of the Fleetwood Plant in Paxinos Pa. At that time they were building Bounders, Southwinds and Pace Arrows.

I recall that they were using a formed piece of styrofoam(or like styrofoam) for the entire roof area.

They were simply cutting out the openings for air conditioners and vents in this large block of foam.

I don't recall, but I'm sure there must be plywood(thin) and then the rubber roof. I don't think there were any "rafters"---just a solid block of foam.

Perhaps a tech from Paxinos or Riverside will write in on this.

Don't take this as the definitive word, but it is my recollection.

Good Luck
BobFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:07 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Bob, your explaination would be consistant with my experience so far. Couldn't find anything with the stud finders. Also we've put several dozen screws into it while attaching a Motosat Datastorm, and 3 solar panels and we've never hit metal (other than the piece that extends the whole length of each side and several inches onto the roof.

It is, however, hard to imagine a roof made in this way being sufficiently rigid.

I'm stopping into Lazydays in a couple of weeks for some parts, so I'll ask there. I imagine they'll know for sure. I'll post what I find out. Thanks again.

Mac
Old 03-06-2005, 01:55 PM   #5

Mac---Here is a group that has a lot of good info specifically for Bounders. I'm sure the similarities between Bounder and Southwind will be to your benefit as far as information relative to your coach.
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/bounder/
Take Care
Bob
BobFL is offline   Reply With Quote