Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbilodeau View Post
Here is a picture of my roof. I went up there and I see no real dirt. I will clean it very good but it is going to be easy. The black spots are realy wears. So this saleman just don't know what he is talking about I guess.

The black areas are not wear. It is black mold that grows on the surface of the membrane caused by dirt and moisture. That's why you should clean and treat the membrane 4 times a year as recommended by Dicor to help prevent the black mold. I have used bleach full strength to get rid of the black mold on my roof. Attached are instructions from Dicor that came with my RV for maintaining the membrane including using bleach full strength on it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dicor RV Roof Care and Maintenance.pdf (833.9 KB, 38 views)
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2015, 01:35 PM   #16

I just bought eternabond tape from amazon. $50 for a 50 ft roll. This stuff sounds amazing.

The whole rubber roof coating idea scares me!

Just a thought!

Prior: 97 Ford Dutchman (31 Ft, Class-C)
BadBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:37 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterd503 View Post
I did my 32 foot with epdm liquid rubber roof 4 years ago. I used 4 gallons. It is still in good shape. It also eliminated the chocking issue. Don't paint yourself into a corner. I used scaffolding to do the edges.
I used Liquid EPDM Rubber on my 36 ft 5th wheel over 5 years ago. It still looks like the day I did it, no more white chalking down the sides and it doesn't grow black mold like the bare membrane did.

http://www.epdmcoatings.com/mobile/liquid-roof.php
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #18

Quote:
I did my 32 foot with epdm liquid rubber roof 4 years ago. I used 4 gallons. It is still in good shape. It also eliminated the chocking issue. Don't paint yourself into a corner. I used scaffolding to do the edges.
Thank you very much. I am glad to read that it has lasted now 5 years. We will use scaffolding for the edges, this is a very good idea.

Do I need to put plastic all around the motorhome with tapes to protects the outside walls from the Primer-cleaner? I saw a video where the professionnal was doing this. Another guy said he did wash the walls and then spray wax in the hope to protect the walls from the primer-cleaner.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:25 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoy View Post
I just bought eternabond tape from amazon. $50 for a 50 ft roll. This stuff sounds amazing.

The whole rubber roof coating idea scares me!

Just a thought!
It scare me too and this is why I created this thread. But I am loosing my roof so I think I have no other cheap choice. It will cost me 900$Can total. 600 for the EDPM and primer. 200$ for a man found on internet for a day of work and 135$ of various cleaning products to clean the whole exterior, rubbers.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:30 AM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I got all my supplies from Alpha this year for under 400 shipped. My roof looked like yours. The primer from Alpha will be tackey when the coating is applied. My RV will stay the same temp inside as out side. It did all day yesterday and it was 90 out. The new coating has to be working better then a half black roof. I posted before and after pics in another post. Tip do the curve to the sides first, then the flatroof.
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 05:43 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLSC View Post
I got all my supplies from Alpha this year for under 400 shipped. My roof looked like yours. The primer from Alpha will be tackey when the coating is applied. My RV will stay the same temp inside as out side. It did all day yesterday and it was 90 out. The new coating has to be working better then a half black roof. I posted before and after pics in another post. Tip do the curve to the sides first, then the flatroof.
1 - In fact 400$US is like 600$Canadian including sales taxes of 15.56% in Quebec.

2 - I bought the products from Dicor. The primer is also a cleaner. Is it good enough for my Alpha roof? We put it and then we get rid of it with water.

BTW, do I need to put plastic all around the motorhome with tapes to protect the outside walls from the Primer-cleaner?
Old 06-14-2015, 12:30 PM   #22

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did cover the sides with a thin plastic drop cloth
JWLSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWLSC View Post
I did cover the sides with a thin plastic drop cloth
Ok, so I will buy some. Hope I will get a good price.

Thank you for the information.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Thank you. This is reassuring to read this. I have someone do my roof tomorrow if there is no rain for 200$ Can. I will put a Camco Cyclone sewer vent by the same occasion.

Thank you for the comments and advice to everybody.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #25

Just did my roof. I have a 36' motorhome but only 30' is EDPM. So base on what Dicor say I needed 4 gallons. We used 2.5 gallons on three layers. Dicor say to put a minimum of 2 layers so it means 2 is a minimum. The roof is now white but we can still see where it was black before. So I could put 2 more layers or 3 and then spend 4 gallons. So 4 gallons is possible but people quit after 2 or 3 layers.

The result is very good. We were able to do it in a single day. We put plastic paper all around the motorhome just in case, it was 2 hours job to put this on and was not very necessary in my opinion.

I have a Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 1999. Fleetwood have EDPM Alpha type roof so it is very important to put the primer-cleaner first.

My roof looks like new now.

Tags
roof