Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2015, 05:01 PM   #1

Roof liquid rubber - Good or no good?

I read about EPDM liquid and the primer on IRV2. I bought my Pace Arrow last year and never did anything for the roof. But the roof has so many large black spots that I decided to do the EPDM liquid.

So I went at my local RV Store Supply. The guy told me I just needed to wash the roof with his expensive product and that is it.

He said that he does not sell EPDM liquid because nobody does it unless they want to sell the RV. He says that paint over rubber just don't work and that after two years it will peel and then it is going to be a mess to clean and do it over.

This is completly different from what I read in the IRV2 threads. But on IRV2, the people who speaks are the one that just did their roof so I don't have their opinion after 2 years.

So here I go: does it work on the long term? How many years did it last for you? Did it peel?

Is it possible this saleman makes more money with cleaning products than with EPDM coating?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2015, 07:22 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I really don't know why the 'guy' would tell you that. My roof is EDPM and was showing the black rubber in many spots. I scrubbed it, then used the proper prep/cleaner and put two coats of EDPM roof coating on it. It's been two years and no peeling. I used Dicor products.

Amazon.com: DICOR CORPORATION RP-CRC RUBBER ROOF ACRYLIC COATING WHT GALLON RP-CRC-1: Automotive

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:44 PM   #3
Commercial Member

I would only use the Dicor products. With that said, your roof should be good for like 7 years with just a good cleaning. And even doing the coating, it must be clean first.

If it is only 2 years old, I would just clean with the Dicor cleaner and use the UV Protectant.

You also need to inspect all the Lap Seal usages. Remove any cracked or dried areas and apply new Self-Leveling Lap Sealant.

Look at the videos on how to properly care for an EDPM Roffee on the Dicor web site.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
Old 06-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I really don't know why the 'guy' would tell you that. My roof is EDPM and was showing the black rubber in many spots. I scrubbed it, then used the proper prep/cleaner and put two coats of EDPM roof coating on it. It's been two years and no peeling. I used Dicor products.

Amazon.com: DICOR CORPORATION RP-CRC RUBBER ROOF ACRYLIC COATING WHT GALLON RP-CRC-1: Automotive
I will do a good cleaning with the RV cleaning products he sold me. If I still see this black spots and I feel it is the rubber that is showing some wear then I should put two coats of EDPM.

If I can get some more people to tell me if this product resisted for many years it would help me even more in my decisions.

Thank you
Old 06-11-2015, 09:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggs68 View Post
I would only use the Dicor products. With that said, your roof should be good for like 7 years with just a good cleaning. And even doing the coating, it must be clean first.

If it is only 2 years old, I would just clean with the Dicor cleaner and use the UV Protectant.

You also need to inspect all the Lap Seal usages. Remove any cracked or dried areas and apply new Self-Leveling Lap Sealant.

Look at the videos on how to properly care for an EDPM Roffee on the Dicor web site.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
TravellingRVDoctor, LLC
It is a Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 1999. The roof is EDPM. And I think it is type ALPHA but I am not sure.

Yes I bought everything needed for the lap sealant, the plastic tool to remove some of it.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Besides using the plastic tools, a heat gun will really help loosen the caulk. Acetone is a good solvent to clean up the self-leveling caulk. Just be careful not to tear the rubber sheet. EternaBond makes a very good, wide tape for covering seams or tears in the roof.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-12-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Black spots isn't very specific - could be just dirt and black mold, or could be the fabric backing showing through. Dirt can be washed off and must be thoroughly washed off if you want to re-coat. Failure to do so will indeed result in peeling after a short while. I suspect the RV shop guy was just tired of complaints from people who just slopped the liquid on without doing adequate prep work, or failed to use the primer where required.

Your signature shows a 1999 coach, so it's possible the rubber material is worn enough to need a new top coat, but you need to clean it anyway. A strong detergent, bleach and a bristle brush is all that is needed for that - not an expensive "rubber roof cleaner". Once it is clean, inspect the rubber sheet material to see if the woven backing is visible. If not, you are done. If you can see the weave, a coating such as Liquid Roof or Kool-Seal RV is a good move. Fleetwood mostly used EPDM rubber sheeting from Alpha Systems, so you need to use a primer with most brands of liquid coating.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Black spots isn't very specific - could be just dirt and black mold, or could be the fabric backing showing through. Dirt can be washed off and must be thoroughly washed off if you want to re-coat. Failure to do so will indeed result in peeling after a short while. I suspect the RV shop guy was just tired of complaints from people who just slopped the liquid on without doing adequate prep work, or failed to use the primer where required.

Your signature shows a 1999 coach, so it's possible the rubber material is worn enough to need a new top coat, but you need to clean it anyway. A strong detergent, bleach and a bristle brush is all that is needed for that - not an expensive "rubber roof cleaner". Once it is clean, inspect the rubber sheet material to see if the woven backing is visible. If not, you are done. If you can see the weave, a coating such as Liquid Roof or Kool-Seal RV is a good move. Fleetwood mostly used EPDM rubber sheeting from Alpha Systems, so you need to use a primer with most brands of liquid coating.
Thank you for this input. I will do a good cleaning today or tomorrow.

I see that for the coating Dicor have two product. This one has ceramic particules so that the heat is not communicated to the coach interior.
The standard one is this.

I would take the ceramic version. A bit more expensive but useful.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:38 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I see you also posted on the General Class A forum for more comments on EDPM roof covering. They have been used for decades on flat roofs around the world, the rubber membrane (EDPM stands for ethylene propylene diene monomer) is also used for pond liners. It serves as a flexible, waterproof liner and durable cover for flat roof construction. On sticks and bricks flat roofs, it is usually covered by gravel stuck to hot asphalt to shield it from ultraviolet rays from the sun. UV will degrade unprotected EDPM over time. On an RV, you can see the disadvantages of using hot tar and rocks to protect the roof. The proper treatment on a mobile roof needs to be a good, stable, relatively light weight coating that protects the rubber membrane, stays flexible, and sheds water. The roof coatings made by Dicor, and other manufacturers, does just that. You can research more sources using Google if you wish.

There alternatives to maintaining your EDPM roof, Plastic replacement roofing can be used. It usually costs at least $4,000 -$8,000 dollars, according to materials, size, complexity of the job. It still requires checking, cleaning and caulking.

Rhino Linings Corporation | Rhino Linings Corporation News - Coatings Company Press

Bob & Donna
Old 06-12-2015, 12:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I see you also posted on the General Class A forum for more comments on EDPM roof covering. They have been used for decades on flat roofs around the world, the rubber membrane (EDPM stands for ethylene propylene diene monomer) is also used for pond liners. It serves as a flexible, waterproof liner and durable cover for flat roof construction. On sticks and bricks flat roofs, it is usually covered by gravel stuck to hot asphalt to shield it from ultraviolet rays from the sun. UV will degrade unprotected EDPM over time. On an RV, you can see the disadvantages of using hot tar and rocks to protect the roof. The proper treatment on a mobile roof needs to be a good, stable, relatively light weight coating that protects the rubber membrane, stays flexible, and sheds water. The roof coatings made by Dicor, and other manufacturers, does just that. You can research more sources using Google if you wish.

There alternatives to maintaining your EDPM roof, Plastic replacement roofing can be used. It usually costs at least $4,000 -$8,000 dollars, according to materials, size, complexity of the job. It still requires checking, cleaning and caulking.

Rhino Linings Corporation | Rhino Linings Corporation News - Coatings Company Press

Ok, I just ordered 3 gallons of Dicor EPDM coating with ceramic particules and 3 quarts of Primer on amazon.ca.

Do I need to reseal with tapes all around the acessories like around the AC? My coaking seems perfect, and I have no leaks.
Old 06-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
No, you don't have to reseal or re-tape everything, just places that show dried or cracking caulk or bad seams. The coating can't replace bad caulking, it just just helps protect the EDPM membrane.

Bob & Donna
Old 06-12-2015, 12:39 PM   #12

Here is a picture of my roof. I went up there and I see no real dirt. I will clean it very good but it is going to be easy. The black spots are realy wears. So this saleman just don't know what he is talking about I guess.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Hard to tell in that rather fuzzy photo, but that does look like worn spots rather than dirt.

Remember, a salesman job is sell what he has to offer, not what you need. And few sales people in RV businesses are actually RVers. They may "know" what they hear in the store and what the various product reps tell them, but they rarely know much about actual RVs.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:03 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I did my 32 foot with epdm liquid rubber roof 4 years ago. I used 4 gallons. It is still in good shape. It also eliminated the chocking issue. Don't paint yourself into a corner. I used scaffolding to do the edges.
Peterd503 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof