Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #1

Roof/repair/maintainence

The previous owner applied what appears to be an elastomeric paint on the roof. This is a 2000 Discovery, I have one small leak @ the skylight in the kitchen which can easily repaired with etrnabond tape. The problem with the present coating is, when it rains, it leaves a stain on the paint. I am thinking about recoating the roof with EPMD, this will cost about 700.00 dollars. Has anyone out there done this? Any thoughts or opinons appreciated!
lburson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 11:26 AM   #2

I have an older rubber roof model.... I used the Liquid Roof...($285.00) Came in 4 gallon container with the curing agent. I mixed in one gallon or smaller batches and had plenty to go back after two days and recoat over the places I deemed needed a thicker coat.
I did buy some eterna bond tape and Lap sealant to go with the package. With all tools and all supplies... $330.00 to coat the roof using my labor.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:25 PM   #3

If I ever have a leak, I'll have it coated with bed liner. Mythbusters proved it's bomb proof. Just in case.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:45 AM   #4

WOODY.... bed liner is a fine product....but not on a Fleetwood model. The roof is dynamic....is stretches....and moves with the torsion of the chassis. Bedliner is too rigid and will not have a decent life on a Fleetwood roof.
Another example of a life long interior dilemma in RV manufacturing is tile. we love the look and lustre....but it cracks and fractures as the vehicle breaks in.... hate to say it but a moving house "moves" and twists and wiggles...the materials used inside and out should too.
Gocoffeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocoffeer View Post
WOODY.... bed liner is a fine product....but not on a Fleetwood model. The roof is dynamic....is stretches....and moves with the torsion of the chassis. Bedliner is too rigid and will not have a decent life on a Fleetwood roof.
Another example of a life long interior dilemma in RV manufacturing is tile. we love the look and lustre....but it cracks and fractures as the vehicle breaks in.... hate to say it but a moving house "moves" and twists and wiggles...the materials used inside and out should too.
I think a bedliner would work great IMHO. Tile too. I guess we just disagree. My coach had tile in it before I removed it, with not a single crack and was a total PIA to remove. The subfloor in my rig doesn't twist much as demonstrated by zero cracks in tile or grout after 7 years. A new version of my rig comes exclusively with full floor tile.

As per the roof, I think we have enough folks that have posted the success of using a bed liner product.

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

We re-seal, re-seal & re-seal more units every year, in fact I keep 3 guys employed year round who specialize in doing this work. I'm always looking and asking questions from every angle to stay on top of the products available. A few years back now is when different companies started crossing over from bedliners to roofs. As of date I believe Rhino is still the only one who has a product that was designed for roof application, it's called the eco-coat. I've been to a couple training seminars and visited a couple shops that bought into the system. Now those shops are in the southwest and they offer lifetime warranties. Being I'm located in the northwest we see a lot more moisture then others, especially compared to the southwest. All coaches & tow-behinds have a common issues - they travel down the roads twisting and flexing. Think of it as a ice cube tray while trying to get the ice out, that's what were doing to our rv while bouncing down the road. So the real issue isn't keeping the roof product on the substrate, it's keeping the moldings and fiberglass caps around the perimeter stable and sealed. So you apply this miracle product over the roof and give the customer a warranty on the product from coming off, but wait, now because it's such a good product and the customer paid so much that now they think the're good to go and just plain forget about it. So it flexes and because the moldings are still only as good as the fasteners holding them down they start opening up, not much but enough to allow water to start entering. Now the water gets in and starts deteriorating the screws, still letting moisture in. By the time it's noticed it's gotten way worse.

I still believe that good old fashion common sense and hard work will always prevail over snake oils. Understanding what, where, when & why will save you money in the long run. Putting a team of sealant experts on your coach for 5-7 days, going over every inch of the unit from top to bottom, front to back - every molding, overlap, protrusion, stripping & re-sealing with products designed for the application is the best answer. IMO you don't always get what you pay for, if it's seems like it's too good of a deal then it probably is. And in the case of sealants on RV's it's only going to cost you more in the end - once the water gets in and melts your investment away.

Just an FYI - we charge $1200 labor plus materials for complete strip & re-seal. The products used for the sides will be around $200 & the roof will be around $300. All with a year warranty parts & labor. How long will it last, well it depends, where is it stored, how many miles does it travel yearly, how much sun does it see, how much moisture does it see, does it go to the mountains, does it go to the mountains when the de-icer is being applied, etc. etc. etc.... Bottom line, it will last for many years, but it must be carefully checked & cleaned regularly and any issues must be dealt with asap!
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:24 PM   #7

Bedliner is not rigid. You can coat a canoe with it. Fleetwood coaches do not flex. The power platform is absolute rigid and when combined with the chassis below are not flexing as described. Put the jacks down. Have them all touching the ground. Then extend one rear jack . The opposite side will lift off the ground. We witnessed this in the Decatur service center. In certain situations we could not figure out why one jack would be off the ground after an automatic level.

Just what mouldings are on a roof? I don't have any.

I wasn't joking about being bomb proof. High explosives proof. Bedliner will not fail and will hold the substrate together to boot.
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #8

I would agree with this...depending on the liner.
There are a FEW liners that are rigid epoxies and dry hard as a rock. If you put one of those on a roof...it might...MIGHT be too rigid. But most liners are a much more flexible rubber type compound.

And for those small spots around a skylight, don't forget there's FlexSeal

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
Bedliner is not rigid. You can coat a canoe with it. Fleetwood coaches do not flex. The power platform is absolute rigid and when combined with the chassis below are not flexing as described. Put the jacks down. Have them all touching the ground. Then extend one rear jack . The opposite side will lift off the ground. We witnessed this in the Decatur service center. In certain situations we could not figure out why one jack would be off the ground after an automatic level.

Just what mouldings are on a roof? I don't have any.

I wasn't joking about being bomb proof. High explosives proof. Bedliner will not fail and will hold the substrate together to boot.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, roof