Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #1

Roof snow + Intake = Bad Performance

We were on our way last week to Florida. We were only ten minutes on the highway when the turbo boost gauge dropped to zero and the EGT went nearly off the scale.
I first thought it was the fuel filter and did a quick change; and it seemed to be okay until I tried a little power. Pulled over again and pulled off the air filter canister. What a surprise! The air filter was nearly full of snow. I dug it out and banged it on the pavement till it was nearly all gone. Did not have any troubles with the DP all the way down. I should qualify that I did run into the nasty lake effect snow on I90 trying to get to I77.
Not sure if anyone ever had this problem with the roof snow going into thier intake. Never would have thought to shovel the snow off the roof.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2018, 06:44 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
With your post in mind.......replace the filter ASAP!
Old 01-02-2018, 08:20 AM   #3

Good job finding the problem but where is your air intake located? On the Roof?
Old 01-03-2018, 07:23 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KF5UMC View Post
Good job finding the problem but where is your air intake located? On the Roof?
The intake is located on the rear top passenger side. It is tucked under the rear spoiler. Works good for rain, but not so good for snow. I will be shovelling off the snow next time.
Old 01-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #5

X2 on an immediate air filter change.

On your Eagle, there is a compartment accessible on the passenger side of the engine bay....square wood door held on my 4 phillips head screws if memory serves.

The purpose is to catch any water coming into the air intake before the air enters the air filter. Yours may be full of debris, thus allowing the snow to get to the filter itself.

While you are at it, clean any debris out that may have gotten trapped there over the years.

Hope this helps and welcome to Florida!
Old 01-06-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

Finally have good wifi connection to post a picture of how much snow is too much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	07C48C5C-9B94-43FE-B081-5A6500618AEC.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	585.9 KB
ID:	187935  
Old 01-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #7

Something does seem wrong here. If that much snow got in, I would think that in the rain, that much water could also get in.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:18 PM   #8

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maik View Post
Finally have good wifi connection to post a picture of how much snow is too much.
Holy S%%t That's a lot of Snow and Ice--- Great catch !
Glad you found it in time to save your Engine !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:49 AM   #9

Yes it was a hefty amount in f the white shuff. We just returned from Florida and had no troubles after the snow incident. I checked the air filter a couple of times on the trip and is all good. Will be replacing when I do my oil change this spring. Next winter trip the roof will be checked and cleaned off prior to departure.
Old 01-17-2018, 07:56 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maik View Post
Yes it was a hefty amount in f the white shuff. We just returned from Florida and had no troubles after the snow incident. I checked the air filter a couple of times on the trip and is all good. Will be replacing when I do my oil change this spring. Next winter trip the roof will be checked and cleaned off prior to departure.

Just as a point of info for you......there is a law on the books now, that if driving down the highway with snow and ice on the roof and it blows off causing damage to another vehicle or causes an accident...YOU are responsible for the damage that is caused...C
chuckster52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof