RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2019, 05:58 PM   #1

Roof Top AC Unit Question 2006 Fleetwood Discovery 39S

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Disovery 39S with 2 roof top AC units with heat pumps. I look in my owner manuals and it say they are manufactured by RVP RV Products Airxcel, Inc which is Coleman-Mach.

My front AC unit started making an intermittent occasional bearing noise or it at least sounds like that. The AC fans work and it cools.

Does anyone have any guess as to what the noise might be?

If it's the motor I'd appreciate any recommendations as to where I can get a replacement. Also would like to know if it's a difficult job to do.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Mike
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Following; recently started experiencing the same issue.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:11 AM   #3

Smile

Go up on the roof and pull the cover off your A/C unit (usually 4 #3 phillips screws) Then hand spin the fan motor (this should have the condenser fan on one end and a squirrel cage blower on the other end of the motor shaft) The motor should spin freely and coast for a long time before coming to a stop.
I had a noisy fan motor bearing and the motor would spin easily, but would only free spin a few seconds. Purchased a new fan motor and it would free spin 10 to 15 seconds or more (surprising how much difference there was)
Unit was quiet after changeout.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:12 AM   #4

I purchased my motor from PPL in Houston. They will ship to you as well.
Old 06-30-2019, 08:18 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike R View Post
I have a 2006 Fleetwood Disovery 39S with 2 roof top AC units with heat pumps. I look in my owner manuals and it say they are manufactured by RVP RV Products Airxcel, Inc which is Coleman-Mach.

My front AC unit started making an intermittent occasional bearing noise or it at least sounds like that. The AC fans work and it cools.

Does anyone have any guess as to what the noise might be?

If it's the motor I'd appreciate any recommendations as to where I can get a replacement. Also would like to know if it's a difficult job to do.

Thanks for your assistance.

Regards,

Mike
It depends on your mechanical ability. I replace the fan motor . I I have a discovery 39l. I would never do that do that again unless I remove the air conditioner and put it on the bench. Your physical abilities are very important if you're going to do it on rooftop. I got my motor from PPL Houston Texas. I had to modify the mounting holes on the motor bracket.
D johnson
d johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #6

Will Stevens:

Thanks so much for the advice. Just came down from the roof. I pulled the AC shroud to access the fan motor. The fan spins but does not spin freely. It will spin with some force but certainly does not continue to spin when I let go.

I guess the motor is shot and I will need to replace it.

Looking at everything it seems to be a relatively easy replacement. Just need to be careful and stay away from the cooling fins as some of them seem to be disintegrating. Overall the cooling cools look ok just a couple areas they disintegrated when I touched them.

As for wiring the motor, what's your thoughts do I really need to follow the wiring back to the start capacitors or can I splice in the new wiring by the motor before it goes into the housing with the start capacitors?

Really appreciate your advice and assistance.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 06-30-2019, 12:15 PM   #7

You can some short term additional life by spraying the bearing with some WD40 -

I paid someone to replace both mine but bought new motors also from PPL -

Replacing was above my skill set and working on roofs was out for me !!
zorro2kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 12:57 PM   #8
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro2kita View Post
You can some short term additional life by spraying the bearing with some WD40 -

I paid someone to replace both mine bubought new motors also from PPL -

Replacing was above my skill set and working on roofs was out for me !!
WD40 is great for loosening the goop out the bearings but is a terrible lubricant.
I always flush the bearings with machine oil, like 3 in one oil. You'll be surprised at how long the motor could last
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:01 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I bought a spare blower motor on sale on Ebay for less than $100. All 3 of mine got noisy after going to the gulf coast.
Then I checked out how hard it would be to replace. Doable on the roof. Taking the entire unit down would be a lot more work. Buy the correct motor.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:28 AM   #10

You should be able to get an OEM motor on Amazon. No modifications necessary. Type in the part number off the motor ID tag.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #11

Folks,

Just want to thank everyone for their advice on troubleshooting and replacing my Coleman Mach roof top AC condenser motor. I ordered the part from PPL Motorhome Parts and it arrived promptly. I paid $123 for the motor plus shipping. I installed the motor last evening and the AC unit is up and running great. Seems like the newer motor is a bit stronger as it's pushing more air and the squeaking from the old motor is gone so it must have been the bearings on the old motor that were shot.

Overall the job wasn't to bad at all and the advice from here (IRV2) and watching some U-Tube videos really helped prep me for the job. I also found the attached write-up on the internet which was very helpful.

I did use a SawZall to cut the shaft between the motor and the condenser coil fan which made things a bit easier as far as getting the old motor removed. I sprayed all the bolts etc. down good with WD-40 then simply disassembled everything then reconnected the new motor and wiring. I did have to ream out the holes on the motor mount slightly so the bolts on the new motor matched the holes on the motor mounting plate which was no big deal. The wiring was straightforward and easy just simply cut the wiring from the old motor and splice in the new motor wiring by matching up the wiring colors. There are also 2 wires that go to the start capacitor that simply plug-in.

The new motor once installed spun freely and coasted unlike the old motor. I think I'm going to order an additional motor to have on hand in case my rear roof top AC motor goes this way I can avoid the cost of having the motor shipped overnight.

For those following this thread my 2006 Fleetwood Discovery has 2 Coleman Mach rooftop AC units Model #8534C8797 and the replacement condenser motor is Part Number 1468-3109. I also attached the parts schematic for my particular Coleman Mach unit.

Thanks again for everyone's advice and assistance.

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: pdf colemanmotorreplacement.pdf (403.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: pdf Coleman Mach Schematic Parts List.pdf (62.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-04-2019, 05:16 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced the fan motor on the front OEM Coleman heat pumps and it ran well after that. It seemed like an intimidating job to me, but it turned out to be relatively easy.

The rear recently died, and the front was marginal. They were only 13,000 BTU and really not up to the task--currently in the desert near LV, so not good.

I had two Coleman Mach 15s installed. They are 15,000 BTU and with 108⁰ outside, even they are struggling to keep us at 82⁰ inside.

If you have another failure, I'd recommend replacing the heat pumps. As old as they are, you are bound to lose a compressor and then what you've invested in the motor will go for naught.

You can buy them from PPL for under $700, and for $35 more you can put in a heat strip. It will fit in your existing opening. I would recommend this combo, not another heat pump. Heat pumps are useless below ~40⁰, a heat strip will always heat up.
Home base now in Kerrville TX
Al n Cindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, cover, roof, discovery