Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2016, 05:12 PM   #1

Rookie RV Owner First Long Trip

I am back again with another rookie question. We are planning our first ever long trip in September and I was wondering how you would handle the trip between stops for such things as using the bathroom. Can you put a little bit of water in your fresh water tank to use during the trip if your passengers want to use the bathroom without having to find a truck stop or convenience store?

Also, which is better to keep your refrig cold, using the propane or the generator while driving?

I have a bunch of other questions but I will start with these two. I appreciate any help you can provide.

Charles
cnlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 05:23 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We keep a tank of water to use and use the potty as needed enroute. We use the genny to keep fridge and house AC on. Just be careful if you run the genny while stopped (say overnight in rest stop) that you don't run yourself out of gasoline, I'm too spooked by the LP to keep it on while driving. YMMV
Textronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #3

I always travel with half a tank of fresh water. Always. You never know if the water is good at the next location or not. We drink out of our system and I know its safe and clean and odor free. We have always used the fridge on Lp when travelling. Never had an issue so far.
buzz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:02 PM   #4

what type of chassis do you have? Can your refrigerator run off the inverter and house batteries? I used to run my propane refrigerator all the time in my class C.

I keep the fresh water about half full during trips. I fill it up if I am going to dry camp. If we are just stopping overnight then we just hook up to electric and use the water in the tank.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:41 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes on the LP for frig....very economical.

Carry a little water....Toilet uses almost none....solid waste is the only need for water....your personal habits will dictate the frequency...it won't be much
Old 08-07-2016, 06:55 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I always have at least half a tank of water, but that's about 50 gallons, that's a lot more than you usually need.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 07:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
We always travel with water in the tank. My wife can take a potty break at any point (currently I do all of the driving, but she's willing to start learning). I much prefer to just pull over some place safe and use our own bathroom rather than hope to find a clean public one. That's one of the main reasons WHY we have an RV, traveling with our own 'stuff'.
In the temps we're having around here these days I always travel with the generator running so that I can run the coach AC, so naturally the frig gets it's power from that. In cooler weather I'll let it run on propane if we're going to be unplugged for several hours.
Old 08-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #8

We have always filled the fresh water tank, the DW, uses it at her convenience. I do all the driving since switching to Class A's. I can usually last for 4-5 hrs. and stop at rest areas, for me and the dog. We have owned 5 Motorhomes, and have always used LP on the road, never have worried, and never have had any problems.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #9
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I run with a full tank of water when traveling. I drain when it is in storage. I use the tank in the RV for showers, the toilet, and washing dishes. We drink from bottled water, any water going in our months is bottled.

I run the refrigerator on LP all the time. I do not even know if the 110 works for the refrigerator. It works (refrigerator) very efficiently on LP. There are wind guards to protect the flame and you should have an LP detector in your RV.

An absorption refrigerator takes a long tome to cycle to cold.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:43 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We also travel with 1/2 tank fresh water just for the purposes of bathroom breaks & for those times we overnight in a rest area or Wal-Mart, for showers in the AM.

We usually travel with our generator on, either summer to have the AC running or spring/fall to have the heat pumps running, so our fridge runs mainly on electric. If it's an absorption fridge, the best way to keep the fridge cold it to keep it full of cold items. Don't put warm or even room temperature items in your fridge. It sucks the cold out & takes a long time to recover. With just 2 of us, we often don't have enough food to fill our fridge so I fill 2 shelves with cool-it bricks to keep the internal temp at optimum levels.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:24 AM   #11

Carry only enough water to get you between stops. 8 pounds per gallon is a lot to haul around. If refer is cold, it will stay cold for your daily trip, if less then about 6 hours, and if you don't open it. So if you are hesitant on using LP while driving, just turn it off.. and, put some ice packs in refer to help maintain the cold.
Tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:00 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I travel full water all the time (100 gallons), never know where you are going to stop and what the water will be like. Doesn't change my mileage one bit. Fridge runs on auto all the time so if the gen is on to run roof airs, then it runs on electricity, if not its on propane. You bought the thing to be comfortable so don't sweat the little things. It should be as convenient as your home.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #13

It is a freight liner chassis. I have two options I believe for the refrig. Propane or electric. Don't know about running it off of the batteries. I think I have to either be hooked up or have the generator running.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:39 PM   #14

Rookie Question

Thanks for all of the help everybody. We are excited but a little apprehensive about this long trip. Ever time we have gone out for just a weekend trip we learn more. Also, I have learned tons from all of your experience on here.

Thanks again, Charles