Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2021, 02:49 PM   #1

Rough ride causing damage

My wife just got back from a 10 day trip to Illinois. The trip was seemed fairly uneventful. We were towing our Jeep YJ on the tow bar. The issue I have is the MH riding rougher than a hard tail Harley whether the Jeep is behind it or not. I usually run 55-65MPH depending on the terrain and road conditions.

When got back to Texas I noticed a wet spot under the unit in the area of the gray/black water tanks. I crawled under it to find that I had a leveler leaking hydraulic fluid. That was bad enough but then I noticed that 2 of the three bands supporting the black tank had snapped at the bolt heads. I've got a mobile service coming to do a repair on it. I'm afraid to move the damn thing. I don't want to drop the tank completely.

My core issue is that every time we take an extended trip of a couple thousand miles when we get back something needs repaired. It seems like driving it over a distance just tears it up.

I would welcome suggestions/ideas on where to start looking to smooth out the ride.
BT2 Zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2021, 03:01 PM   #2

Please tell us what CHASSIS you have.

Comments for what worked on a F53 will only be misleading if you have a Class C.

What is the mileage on your coach?

What have you changes/upgraded?
Old 06-17-2021, 03:50 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Apparently, it's a 2008 26' class C on a ford chassis. GVWR of ~14050. I'm thinking its over weight, and he's riding on the bump stops.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:48 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After every RV trip I come back with 1 to 2 pages of fixes and repairs. Feel lucky if it only a couple. 2 of 3 of my motorhomes have had over 350 total. This last winter when it was below freezing even in S. TX. my main furnace and water pump went out.
Old 06-20-2021, 06:07 PM   #5

I think it’s pretty normal. I have completed exactly one (local, weekend) trip where nothing broke or needed fixing. And my coach is only 2 years old. I do expect it to get better one of these days and work pretty well for at least a couple of years. But maybe not. Seems to be the nature of the beast. Just stay vigilant and stay on top of it. Good luck with your repairs.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 09:06 AM   #6

Equipment list

Sorry this took so long other things in life got involved. First off thanks for the replies.

It's a 2008 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree Sport on a 2007 Ford E-450 chassis. Its 25-26 feet long with one slide out. It has a little over 65K miles on the odometer. The previous owner boxed in the frame. installed Hellwig 7/8" sway bars front and back, and put Hercules 12 ply steel belted radials on it for tires (2018). He pulled a rock crawler Jeep on a trailer while hauling a wife and three kids with all the accessories.

When we travel the holding tanks are partially full. Black & gray water at 25% with the fresh water at 50%. The capacities are 36, 37, and 50 gallons respectively. The fuel tank is 55 gallons. We run it from full to empty as we're traveling. We also tow a '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ (about 3K lbs.) when it's going to be needed. The ride and handling seems better with the Jeep in tow.

I'm wondering if all of the mods made by the PO has made the unit "stiff" because we don't load it as much as he did or is it at the age where things are getting weak because of build quality?

TIA
Old 06-22-2021, 10:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My first travel trail was that way. The roads beat it to deaths. I found I was over inflating the tires.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #8

Tire pressure

65psi in front
80 in rear
Old 06-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT2 Zeke View Post
Sorry this took so long other things in life got involved. First off thanks for the replies.

It's a 2008 Class C Fleetwood Jamboree Sport on a 2007 Ford E-450 chassis. Its 25-26 feet long with one slide out. It has a little over 65K miles on the odometer. The previous owner boxed in the frame. installed Hellwig 7/8" sway bars front and back, and put Hercules 12 ply steel belted radials on it for tires (2018). He pulled a rock crawler Jeep on a trailer while hauling a wife and three kids with all the accessories.

When we travel the holding tanks are partially full. Black & gray water at 25% with the fresh water at 50%. The capacities are 36, 37, and 50 gallons respectively. The fuel tank is 55 gallons. We run it from full to empty as we're traveling. We also tow a '95 Jeep Wrangler YJ (about 3K lbs.) when it's going to be needed. The ride and handling seems better with the Jeep in tow.

I'm wondering if all of the mods made by the PO has made the unit "stiff" because we don't load it as much as he did or is it at the age where things are getting weak because of build quality?

TIA
He “boxed in the frame”. That statement scares me tbh.

Also have you run it over the scales to see what your loaded weight is vs what the actual GVWR and GCWR are.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
12 belted tires have no flex. Will ride terrible. When they wear out replace with original type. I've reduced tire pressure 10 psi (within spec) to help ride also.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
12 belted tires have no flex. Will ride terrible. When they wear out replace with original type. I've reduced tire pressure 10 psi (within spec) to help ride also.
I'm thinking the same. 12 ply is an F series while the originals that Ford installed back in 2007 were E series.

Without knowing the actual size it's nearly impossible to determine if the inflation pressure is correct. I think Ford installed LT245/75R16E back in 2007 and if you still had that size and load range inflating them to 65 psi on the front axle would give a combined tire capacity of 5,250 lbs and for a duel tire rears at 80 psi would be 11,112 lbs capacity. The front axle capacity is for an E450 is 4,600 lbs (55 psi) and the rear is 7,800 lbs (50 psi). If my research and math are correct the inflation numbers should match the Ford recommended inflation.

Moving up to a E ply tire AND with higher pressures you're probably over inflated but again without knowing the tire size I'm not sure.
Old 06-24-2021, 01:55 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Also take it to a CAT scale to get it weighed, so you'll know whether or not you're carrying more weight than the chassis was designed for.
Old 06-30-2021, 08:13 AM   #13

not sure how it would affect your e450, but my f53 rode like a steel buggy wagon over cracks in the roads, small bumps, etc. i changed the shocks to koni fsd shocks and there definitely is a world of difference in the ride. now my cabinets don't feel like they are going to come off of the walls.
hardybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 09:36 PM   #14

I also added air bags to the rear axle because of the rough ride. Most people don't realize that air bags suppliment the suspension at the low end because they are more compliant than the steel springs. This softens the ride AND adds load capacity.
nairbg is offline   Reply With Quote