Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 11:05 AM   #1

Rubber roof re-coat

I bought a 98 Tradition and it looks like the roof has never been re-coated. It's mostly black and just a few spots where a little bit of white is still there. I want to re-coat it.

My questions are:
What is the best stuff to use?
What prep do I need to do other than a good wash?
chiefM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 09:31 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you give a little more information about the roof? Is it an Epdm, fiberglass, etc roof material?
I’m in the process of recoating my 1999 Newmar Mountain Aire. I’ve looked at a lot of products but they are all for EPDM
Old 06-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess I should have read more....at least the title....Rubber roof!

I looked all over at different roof coatings. I finally settled on Gaco roof coating. It’s sold here locally by Harvey Building Products and is for EPDM and other types of roofs as a roof re-coat. I liked the price and I have coated the slide out which is the original rubber and it worked fantastic!
I would highly recommend it. They also sell a cleaner which I used. It will take some elbow grease to get an old roof prepped, but it’ll be well worth it.
I went over the sides a little and covered the vinyl strips that act as trim for the roof to fiberglass seam. It’s self leveling, so looks pretty good over the sides.
Another benefit of new coating is it’s white. When I first went up on the dirty roof to clean it, it was baking hot! After first coat I went back for re-coat and nice and cool. Added benefit summer trips!
I’m sure there are a lot of different ideas out there, but this was best in cost and used for commercial applications.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the info!
I have a 40 ft so how many gallons do you think I would need to do the roof at least twice? I am thinking one gallon is not enough but 5 gallons would be too much.

I cleaned it once already and about baked to death. I am sure with it being white again it is going to help keep the interior temps lower.
Old 06-05-2019, 05:51 AM   #5

Had a 34 ft coated With Hengs took 2 1/2 Gallons. Prep is key to get good results. Qty is for 2 coats. Has held up in Texas sun. Hengs can be bought on Amazon use one in orange Container. This was on 1999 Fleetwood 34V
ChasL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:15 AM   #6

Lots of videos on YouTube about the subject, as well as lots of different products. I bought the dicor system. I have ent applied it yet, but it came highly recommended
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Gaco Roof coat comes in 1 gallon and 5 gallon pails. I have a 38' with 1 slide. I found on the original slide out roof 3 coats worked best. So having some Xtra is not a bad thing. Also you will want to change out anything on the roof that's at end of life like skylights, roof vents, etc. Coat all those seams first then the roof. I went over the cap and into the rain gutter as my finished line. Sealed all roof joins and seams by doing it that way. Plus side caps look new. Any of the liquid products will work excellent. I just found Gaco had the highest solids content and if ever damaged easy to recoat the area. Just my opinion though.
Old 06-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input!
I have looked and looked at different videos and products. Just wanted to hear from real users on what worked for them.
Old 06-21-2019, 06:16 AM   #9

UPDATE:
I spent 6 hrs hand scrubbing the roof with Crud Cutter and a green scrubby pad to make sure there was no dirt or grime on the rubber. I let it dry and then went around the entire outside edges and the vents with new Dicor self leveling compound. I then coated the roof with Henry Tropi-Cool 100% Silicone White Roof Coating I got from the Home Depot.

That stuff is great and the inside temps are amazingly lower now that the roof is white and not black anymore. I do not think the PO did any roof maintenance.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:22 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Congratulations
Now you have piece of mind next time it’s pouring cats and dogs in the wilderness. It’s a big project but certainly worth it.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:49 PM   #11

My rubber roof is a tan color, is there a product to keep the same? I prefer not to cover in white....
Old 06-23-2019, 07:00 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I know Gaco liquid roof comes in colors.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:07 PM   #13

Roof recoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamblum View Post
Lots of videos on YouTube about the subject, as well as lots of different products. I bought the dicor system. I have ent applied it yet, but it came highly recommended
I did mine with dicor in 2018, bought thee gallons using two coats.
Still have a gallon and a half. Prep is vey important.
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:23 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood used the Alpha brand EPDM rather than Dicor, so make sure whatever product you choose is compatible. Some recommend using a primer over the Alpha.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof