Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2011, 05:59 PM   #1

Running both A/C units with genset

I have a 2001 Fleetwood Discover 37v with 30 amp service and a power management system. I do not any manuals. I am in The process of ordering them. Ok here is the question. Camping world told me that I could run both A/C units at the same time. I do not think this is true. Does anyone know from experience.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2011, 06:07 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have a 5.5kw onan genny and run both ACs in my coach no problem.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:08 PM   #3

I would say yes you should be able to but you didn't say what gen set you have. The best way to find out is do it.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine is older, 1994 Pace with a 7k genset and we run both A/C's all the time on the gen. No issues. Yours may have a power management system that only allows 1 compressor at a time but both fans at same time. Fleetwood should have all your specs, just call them with your VIN & FIN handy
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most dual A/C 30 amp motor homes The EMS can sense when the generator is live and you can indeed run both A/Cs at one time.. As I recall you select the FRONT with the selector switch.

On the generator is both a 30 amp and a 20 amp circuit breaker... The Rear A/C hooks to the 20 amp breaker.. Directly. And is not subject to power management when the generator is running.. Which is why you select the front unit on the EMS panel.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:31 PM   #6

I had a 2000 discovery that had a 7.5kw generator and you could everything.
BTBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:57 PM   #7

I have an Onan 7.5 kw. I have run both at one time but it burnt an 8 ga. wire on the transfer switch to the genset. Twice. That is why I did not think this was correct.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:01 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Most dual A/C 30 amp motor homes The EMS can sense when the generator is live and you can indeed run both A/Cs at one time.. As I recall you select the FRONT with the selector switch.

On the generator is both a 30 amp and a 20 amp circuit breaker... The Rear A/C hooks to the 20 amp breaker.. Directly. And is not subject to power management when the generator is running.. Which is why you select the front unit on the EMS panel.
Correct. By my use. And by my manual. Not so with shore power, only one at a time.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr300ce

Correct. By my use. And by my manual. Not so with shore power, only one at a time.
Mr300ce.
Is there anyway you can send me a copy of the page in the manual that you are referring too?
Old 10-26-2011, 07:08 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
As a ser. mgr. for a fleetwood dealer and also a fleetwood owner, I can tell you for sure you can run both A/C's on Gen. You can also run both A/C's on the 30 amp cord when plugged in. You have a shed system on your coach. It shed's a load to keep from pulling over 30 amps. If you have both airs on and turn on the microwave, the Intellitec system will shed (cutout) one of the A/C's.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:25 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you have one of these control units you should be able to run both with high output Gen.
If not the controls will shed the load.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 08:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler
As a ser. mgr. for a fleetwood dealer and also a fleetwood owner, I can tell you for sure you can run both A/C's on Gen. You can also run both A/C's on the 30 amp cord when plugged in. You have a shed system on your coach. It shed's a load to keep from pulling over 30 amps. If you have both airs on and turn on the microwave, the Intellitec system will shed (cutout) one of the A/C's.
Ga traveler, in your professional opinion why would running both units cause the wire that is attached to genset 1 and the transfer switch to burn? It has happened 2 times now. Have you seen this before? Could it be a loose connection at the transfer switch? Everyone's reply is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by "007"
If you have one of these control units you should be able to run both with high output Gen.
If not the controls will shed the load.
007, I do have one of those. Thank you for the manual page link.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
If your burning insulation from wires you may have a loose connection in Transfer Switch or loose at Gen.
Loose connections will cause high resistance more current draw more heat burnt wires.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote