Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV ride height adjustable?

Is it possible to adjust the ride height of an RV with the air bag suspension? Reason I'm asking is our current RV is a Providence 39V and it is noticably lower in the rear than our previous RV Discovery 39A. I don't want to have problems going over normal road surfaces due to less clearance in the rear.
jasonracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #2

Most units with air springs do have valves that control the pressure to the air bag to set height. Look underneath and you should see small rods that connect the front suspension and another for the rear differential. Those rods connect to a valves mounted on the frame. The rods move valve position to change pressure. The rods should have threaded attachment links that you can adjust.

Be careful not do do this without proper jack supports. If you move the arm it could release air and crush you under the coach. I would have it done by a qualified service center. I just had mine done last week. If you have a copy of the suspension manual it list the ride height setting there which you can easily check yourself.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #3

You don't want to just arbitrary adjust the ride height.

Things like the driveshaft angle and shock absorber length have to be considered. The shocks could be over extended and the driveshaft can vibrate, causing early U joint failure.

You should find the correct ride height from the factory and adjust it to that.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

What twinboat said. It's not just conveninece - it's a matter of mechanical necessity to have the ride height correct. A Discovery should be on a Freightliner chassis, so get the ride height specs from Freightliner Customer Service (800-FTL-HELP) or just go to a Freightliner OASIS dealer and have them take care of it.

You may have either a bent ride height control arm or deflated air bags. Both need immediate attention.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As stated above there are sensors that can be adjusted to effect ride height.

However, the height of the coach has a specific measurement set at the manufacturer. In my case the correct height is set by measuring between the frame and the top of the axle. What you need is the procedure to set the height. That should be in the chassis manual.

If you do not have the manual put a post out and see if someone can provide you with a copy of the procedure from their manual.

It may well be that the height in the rear of your coach has been set incorrectly.

Just increasing the height can effect a lot of things including drive shaft angle ride comfort and drive ability.

If you need to post for the manual, include year, make, model, chassis.

Glenn Lever

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:38 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all of your responses. I plan to have the local Freightliner dealer look at the ride height for me. I'd like to find out if it's correct before towing anything and make adjustments to it if necessary. I have noticed that after it is parked for a while that the front suspension does lose a little air especially in colder temperatures which I had been told was normal.
jasonracing is offline   Reply With Quote