Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #1

Unhappy RV won't start

I recently purchased a 2000 fleetwood bounder. It ran perfect until this past weekend. I turned on main and aux, switches turned the key on, gauges came up but would only click when I tried to start it. I checked the battery voltage,it was 12.6 volts. pulled all the cables lose cleaned them and reconnected.still the same thing. Started checking fuses and all had power except for the distribution panel. after some reading I tested the aux disconnect solenoid and had nothing so I replaced it with a new one. Same out come. I then ran a small jumper from the distribution panel post to the chassis battery post went in the coach and hit the ignition switch and fired up and ran. So I pulled the jumper wire off and it continued to run perfect. I turned the key off reset the main and aux,switches and still got only a click when i tried to restart it. HELP!!
rabman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2020, 10:27 PM   #2

We had issues with our 2000 fleetwood power today. Under the hood i found one of these little circuit breakers that needed to be reset. I never realized the black button on the side is a reset for them . You may have the same issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-d-420844-1_lg__37588.1558148254.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	286132  
295Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 05:05 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Is this a gas or DP Bounder? If its gas, yours should be almost identical to mine.

Try using the EMER START button on the dash. This energizes the isolator solenoid inside the BCC and ties the chassis and coach batteries together.

On mine, the isolator solenoid contacts had gone bad and the chassis battery wasn't being charged when I was on shore power. The coil was being energized, but the contacts weren't making:

Replace battery isolator solenoid in the BCC – 1999 Southwind 35S
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:59 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I pulled all the solenoids and the circuit breakers out took them to the RV dealer and all tested good Rv dealer said it sounds like an ignition switch. Ill try it next.
rabman76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabman76 View Post
I then ran a small jumper from the distribution panel post to the chassis battery post went in the coach and hit the ignition switch and fired up and ran. So I pulled the jumper wire off and it continued to run perfect.
I'm new to the RV world, but have been a professional heavy diesel mechanic for 12+ years. Based on this info alone, I don't think it's your ignition switch. The ignition switch worked when you supplied power to the distribution panel post, which returned proper function of your ignition switch. Sounds like a fuse or circuit breaker supplying power to the box has been overloaded, or has a loose connection. Have you checked all fuses inside the distribution box and on the way to the box? I have a 99 Bounder DP and can look at mine when I get home tonight to see where the power coming in is fused.
GreenBaja73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:50 PM   #6

I noticed that on my used 95 when I hit the disconnect rocker switches for Main and Aux. That sometimes when I hit them to turn back on they dont come back on really. I end up having the flip the rocker halfway and then I can hear the rocker switch really connecting the power back once it has been disconnected. Now mine is a DP but maybe same thing with yours is rocker switches are worn so you when you hit them fully they dont engage but if you just hit them halfway they work properly.I noticed this when I went to try RV a few times after being away from it for a few days and disconnecting power with main/Aux rocker switches inside RV. Not sure but you wouldn't have any dash lights or anything when you turn key , this is how I narrowed mine to the rocker switches and found I had to hit them a certain way for them to reconnect after disconnecting power...
TryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:56 PM   #7

rv won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabman76 View Post
I recently purchased a 2000 fleetwood bounder. It ran perfect until this past weekend. I turned on main and aux, switches turned the key on, gauges came up but would only click when I tried to start it. I checked the battery voltage,it was 12.6 volts. pulled all the cables lose cleaned them and reconnected.still the same thing. Started checking fuses and all had power except for the distribution panel. after some reading I tested the aux disconnect solenoid and had nothing so I replaced it with a new one. Same out come. I then ran a small jumper from the distribution panel post to the chassis battery post went in the coach and hit the ignition switch and fired up and ran. So I pulled the jumper wire off and it continued to run perfect. I turned the key off reset the main and aux,switches and still got only a click when i tried to restart it. HELP!!
I had similar incident with my'98 Discovery. Turned out to be the relay switch, drivers side frame behind rear wheels, before starter. Description is two 1/2 inch socket pos/neg post with two smaller 5/16 socket connections. Replaced with new relay, from freightliner, fixed the problem.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:22 AM   #8

Is this a diesel? Confused about the location description.
tom3855wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Profile says 31 foot Bounder. Likely not a diesel ??

He also noted that it "clicked" when he tried to start it. Does that eliminate fuses ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:59 AM   #10

This video may help.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 05:08 PM   #11

Diesel
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #12

Good to know. Had my fleetwood just stop at Disney, no clicks ,tested Batt strong, couldnt.figure it out. Had roving robber barron mechanic look at said was starter...?..could it.have been the relay? Anyway he replaced.the starter and boom, she lit right up, so maybe it was the starter. Never had that happen before w no symptoms ever and just out of the blue. Lifes mysteries huh?
tom3855wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3855wales View Post
Good to know. Had my fleetwood just stop at Disney, no clicks ,tested Batt strong, couldnt.figure it out. Had roving robber barron mechanic look at said was starter...?..could it.have been the relay? Anyway he replaced.the starter and boom, she lit right up, so maybe it was the starter. Never had that happen before w no symptoms ever and just out of the blue. Lifes mysteries huh?
I'll assume that when you say you had your "fleetwood just stop" that you are referring to it just stop turning over, and not to imply the engine just stopped while driving. If that's the case, then sometimes a starter can just fail hard like that. Sometimes you can whack the body of the starter while someone holds the key down to get it started until the starter can be replaced. It's also possible there was a loose connection at the starter that was tightened up when the new starter was installed. Regardless, replacing a starter when you're parked with full hookup would be much better than sitting at a gas station in the middle of nowhere. Sounds like the timing of your problem was pretty convenient!
Old 06-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom3855wales View Post
Hopefully you watched my video above to the end. To prevent this from happening again you should insulate the starter. The video will explain more.
SavnTheWales is offline   Reply With Quote