Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2021, 02:33 PM   #1

RVIA certification, e coating

Can anyone tell me if American Coach is a member of RVIA and are their coaches RVIA certified?
Also, is the Liberty Bridge chassis used on the AC Eagle still e coated? If not, what year did AC stop e coating the chassis?
Jeweldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2021, 03:25 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

REV Group (the owner of that brand as well as Fleetwood, Monaco, HR, Beaver and several others) is an RVIA member and so the RVs they build are certified.

You can view the list of RVIA members at https://www.rvia.org/manufacturer-members-list
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:37 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeweldriver View Post
Can anyone tell me if American Coach is a member of RVIA and are their coaches RVIA certified?

Also, is the Liberty Bridge chassis used on the AC Eagle still e coated? If not, what year did AC stop e coating the chassis?

Yes they are RVIA certified and I believe they stopped e-coating in ‘16 or ‘17. I am double checking the year and I will follow up! [emoji6]

Angie
Collision Repair & Paint Restoration
214-392-1100
Angie Morell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:39 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:

Yes, the Liberty Bridge is still used on American Coach Eagle.
214-392-1100
Old 10-28-2021, 07:02 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Liberty Bridge is just their name for a chassis constructed using the Freightliner XCM modular chassis (front and rear 1/3's of the chassis) and a Rev Group designed & built center (bridge) section. That chassis design has been in use for American Coach models since 2004, though for several years it used Spartan front & rear clips instead of Freightliner.
Old 10-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #6

Angie, I realize that the Eagle is still built on the Liberty Bridge chassis. I want to know specifically how that chassis is painted and/or coated. E-coating a chassis that size is more expensive then other alternatives. Just wondering if AC keeps "cheapening" the build while raising the retail price of the coach?
Old 10-29-2021, 02:49 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Just wondering if AC keeps "cheapening" the build while raising the retail price of the coach?

It looks that way to me, but I can't back that up with facts. They have cut way back on customer service for older coaches and merged high-end factory service with other Rev models, reducing the perks for AC owners. Whether they have taken short cuts in the build process is something I cannot say with any authority.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I was just at the factory doing a magazine article for FMCA. I spent some time walking through the American Coach plant on the south side of town. I found that they did a good job as far as quality was concerned. I believe the bridge frame assemblies were powder coated prior to being huckbolted together. The construction techniques of the locking sidewall and roof joints didn't show any shortcuts. I found a big improvement over when they used to be built in the main Fleetwood plant on a separate line. Lots of Dream 39RK units being built and quite a few Eagle 45K units on the line as well.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:28 AM   #9

I have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of AC and/or REV RV. We purchased a 2020 Eagle 45K a little over a year ago and it's been a total nightmare. The build quality is just pathetic and REV's solution to the over 200 defects was to literally slap some caulk and Great Stuff throughout the coach. Take a look at my original post on Facebook from 2 months ago and then write your article for FMCA. Hopefully it will reflect what the real condition of the final product is versus what all the hype and advertising portray it to be. Posted 09/03/2021 on the American Coach RV'ERS group. https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00061483929553
Old 10-30-2021, 11:43 AM   #10

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Angie, I realize that the Eagle is still built on the Liberty Bridge chassis. I want to know specifically how that chassis is painted and/or coated. E-coating a chassis that size is more expensive then other alternatives. Just wondering if AC keeps "cheapening" the build while raising the retail price of the coach?

REV stopped ecoating in MY17. They stopped because the company doing the e-coating went out of business.

The chassis/bridge is now all wet painted by MorRyde.
214-392-1100
Old 10-30-2021, 11:49 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I can only report on what I've seen. Every now and then horror stories appear from every brand of RV, including many I consider quality coaches. If I based my reports on those I wouldn't personally own any RV. I have looked on the AC forum here and on the dedicated AC forum and the only issues I see are the usual issues with coaches made in earlier years. I don't doubt you have had issues with your coach but I can't base my report on that, nor on any advertising hype, only on what I've found.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 12:30 PM   #12

American Coach Nightmare

I didn't ask you to base your article strictly on what I have stated here, but I would assume any writer would strive to at least do some rudimentary research before discounting my statement. I'm not the typical RV owner who just needs the cabinet doors adjusted. If you have been to the dedicated REV forums, maybe I should specifically say those on Facebook, you'd certainly have taken notice of how poorly the more recent coaches are viewed as opposed to the older models. This industry is highly under regulated, with manufacturers left to their own devices. I realize that manufactures advertise that they conform to RVIA standards, but in reality it means very little since the consumer has no way to file a complaint or concern with RVIA inorder to ensure compliance. RVIA is solely the biggest lobbyist organization for the RV industry. Yes some coaches might be better constructed and those that aren't, well I guess that's just the luck of the draw for the customer. If someone would just have the courage to accurately reflect the short comings of this industry in an article, just maybe the industry would be moved to build a much better product.
Old 11-08-2021, 04:57 PM   #13

In my many years of belonging to the FMCA, I have never seen a bad write up on any manufacture's coaches in the FMCA's magazine. Think of the advertisement loss the FMCA magazine would incur for writhing the truth.
I think if you look closely, you will find the RVIA is managed by the owners of the RV manufacturing industry. Kind of like having the Wolf guard the hen house.

Richard
Old 11-09-2021, 07:58 AM   #14

I would assume the sad reality is that most of the people that work in the RV industry are themselves, not campers/RV'ers. The concept that RV'ing is all about relaxing and fun times with friends and family is lost on the industry. The push for profit over quality is evident in the finished product.

Tags
cat, rvia