Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #1

Safe-T-Plus?

I've heard good and bad about this system (mostly good).

What I want to know is very specific...

Is there anyone out there that has driven their MH for at least a few thousand miles experiencing rough roads and winds without the system and decided they needed it. If so, what did you think of the change?

The reason I asked is that I got my Bounder and drove a few 100+ mile trips around the state and was really concerned about the 'loose' steering. i didn't have time to get the system installed before I left on a long trip (3000+ miles). I'm more than half way through the trip and have had several white knuckle sessions (35mph crosswinds with higher gusts.) However, now that I have some miles under my belt, when I get on roads on which I used to be concerned, I know think it handles great.

That's why I want the opinion of an experienced driver.

Thanks,
Dave Seay
DocData757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2017, 04:29 PM   #2

Hi Dave:
I added the Safe-T-Plus to our RV before last years 8400 mile loop around the USA. The Safe-T-Plus was a good addition but, the additional add-on of the Sumo Springs to the front of the RV was exceptional. I had the Sumo Springs shipped from CA to friends in ILL and the Camping World in IND installed them, (one hour labor was the agreement). Mention the MotorHome Sumo article and they give you a good price, CW's price was too expensive. This add-on made the rest of our trip a easier.
Good luck
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:36 PM   #3

Is the steering wheel straight going down the road? Have you checked the tire pressures to make sure they are set to the settings on the placard behind the drivers seat? Have you done the Cheap Handling Fix?
Those are all things I would look into before spending any money on steering improvements.
There is no way you are going to eliminate the effects on the coach of a 35mph crosswind. Having a coach that is properly aligned with the correct tire pressure will minimize the effect. The Cheap Handling Fix will increase the roll stiffness of the coach something that positively effects handling and doesn't cost any money, just time.
I have a Roadmaster RSSA on my coach, added if after driving it about 5000 miles and it helps reduce fatigue after a days driving but doesn't dramatically change the driving experience.
It seems your experiencing the most important driving improvement, time behind the wheel and just getting used to the thing.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
Hi Dave,
I added Safe T Plus in 2005 to our Windsor after a long drive with gusting side winds. I would say if helped.

The main reason I liked the Safe T Plus was blowout handling. Spoke with Safe T Plus today regarding installing on our new Dutch Star. They totally respected the Comfort Drive and a self centering system, but felt the Safe T Plus provide control in case of a blowout.
They installed one at show recently with the owner liking it better than Comfort Drive. I can not believe this. It does nothing to reducing steer effort etc,

Larry
lagawne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 05:59 PM   #5

Safe-T-Plus helped a lot.
Front and rear sway bars did too.
Also differential track bar.
Night and day on my Fleetwood Terra SE 33s. Drives like a dream now.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First of all, do not set your tire pressure to the placard behind the seat. Weigh your coach and then set the tire pressure according to the tire manufacturers inflation chart. If you are set to the placard weight and are not at maximum capacity, your steering will tend to feel "loose" or quick. The placard give you the inflation for the maximum weight your coach can travel at. Unless you are at the maximum weight, setting your tire pressure that high will also give you a terrible ride.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:17 PM   #7

mojo
not disagreeing with what you have said except for one thing. A lot of people never get their coach weighed. Using the placard pressure will give you a safe starting point and equal pressure in the tires. Fine tuning for ride is fine but getting a safe starting point to assess the handling of the coach is not the same. My thought is start at the safe placard pressure and only reduce from that when you know it is safe to do so.(after weighing)
Old 05-10-2017, 05:23 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
mojo
not disagreeing with what you have said except for one thing. A lot of people never get their coach weighed. Using the placard pressure will give you a safe starting point and equal pressure in the tires. Fine tuning for ride is fine but getting a safe starting point to assess the handling of the coach is not the same. My thought is start at the safe placard pressure and only reduce from that when you know it is safe to do so.(after weighing)
Hence, my first advice to weigh the coach. The OP's first complaint was "loose steering". Overinflated tires can give the driver a similar feel. When overinflated, it can give the driver the feeling that there is less resistance in the steering wheel.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:05 AM   #9

Mojo
Your first statement was not to set the tire pressure to the placard pressure. That statement in itself could cause a potentially unsafe condition to exist. The total allowable load on the placard for my coach is 2146 lbs especially as that figure does not include liquids, the hot water heater tank and full propane take more than a hundred pounds off that. That's not that much on a 22000 lb coach. Your 2014 has the same axle capacitities as my 2016 how much below the placard 90psi have you been able to set the tire pressure after weighing? ( I previously had a 2014 35K so I remember what the tire pressure on that coach was)
I also submit that setting the tires to the pressure on the placard is not overinflating them. I run my tires at the placard pressures the coach handles just fine and is totally safe to drive.
Old 05-11-2017, 11:30 PM   #10

It didn't take much to make my Bounder 33C want to float left or right depending on the wind, and trucks passing. Having a front end alignment helped a lot. But there was still too much slop for me so I installed the Safe-T-Plus and took the time to properly adjust it and center it. It really helps the coach track in a straight line and allows me to drive a little more relaxed. And it's supposed to help the driver have better control if there's a sudden tire blowout.
Old 05-12-2017, 03:10 AM   #11

We have a 2015 Fleetwood Expedition. After the first 1,000 miles I had to do something. We were constantly pushed around by wind and large semi trucks and fighting the "loose" steering feel.

This was ver disconcerting for a new RV owner and I couldn't image driving like this all the time.

I installed the Safe-T-Plus myself. What a huge difference it made. The RV tracks straight and true and we're no longer blown all over the road. I won't ever have an RV without some type of steering dampener.
Skeetobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 04:20 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Waste of money!
whmprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:21 PM   #13

We have about 15k miles with it on our 2015 Excursion 33D. In the beginning I felt it made a difference, but crosswinds are still a big problem on the interstate. I would add something else if anyone has any suggestions.
hdfxrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:23 AM   #14

It helped

I installed a Safe-T-Plus on my MH mid summer 2015. I took the MH for a drive on roads where I live and am familiar with. I have a combination of State highways ( two lane ) and secondary County roads which have crowns, curves and some hills nearby.
After the first test drive I was sure there was an improvement in the way my MH handled the varying terrain. To be sure I disconnected the Safe-T-Plus, zip tied it to the steering center link and drove the exact same route. I am convinced the Safe-T-Plus did indeed make an improvement in handling.
I reattached the Safe-T-Plus and it remains attached.
There was and is an improvement but there is room for more. Next will be the addition of a rear track bar to settle the rear end down.
One thing I clearly understand is my MH is never going to drive like a finely tuned sports car. Every time we go out with the MH we are going for longer or shorter stays and consequently we are loaded differently. Sometimes heavier sometimes lighter. Road and weather conditions will be different every time we leave home. I have come to accept this. I am certainly not going to adjust tire inflation pressure every time I want to go for a day or weekend trip either. I pick a happy medium and stay with it. One thing I never am though is overloaded. That I am sure of.
I feel a little more relaxed while driving knowing I have a little more tire blow out protection but I am very aware the Safe-T-Plus is not a cure all. Any assistance is welcome but I don't totally depend on it.
Yes, I would buy and install the Safe-T-Plus again if I had to do it all over.
Lynn