RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #1

Hi to all again...
Now that we have month under our belt with our new 08 Bounder 32K - my regular tv antenae just doesn't cut it. I have seen MH with domes and crank up dishes. Economically - I understand the dishes are less money than the dome systems. What advice can you offer as to what to look for, what to steer clear of and what is better - direct v. Dish network? We definitely can't swing the in motion system but the crank up looks more doable. From what I have seen in friends MHs - the dish is pretty awesome. Thanks,

Team Bullrider24
Bullrider24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2008, 10:52 AM   #2

Hi to all again...
Now that we have month under our belt with our new 08 Bounder 32K - my regular tv antenae just doesn't cut it. I have seen MH with domes and crank up dishes. Economically - I understand the dishes are less money than the dome systems. What advice can you offer as to what to look for, what to steer clear of and what is better - direct v. Dish network? We definitely can't swing the in motion system but the crank up looks more doable. From what I have seen in friends MHs - the dish is pretty awesome. Thanks,

Team Bullrider24
Bullrider24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Joe,

Many of your questions have already been answered in our Technology forum, HERE.

You will also find answers to questions you didn't know you had.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
The crank up with a digital elevation readout is extreemly easy to use and is more reliable than an "automatic" system. It can also find the satelite signal between buildings or through trees easier - if possible - than an automatic system.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Whether or not you want a dome or a crank-up (either manual or automatic), depends a great deal on whether or not you want HD programming.

I don't know about Dish Network, but there is no dome, currently, that is able to pick up all the satellites that provide HD programming for DirecTV. There are only two manufacturers of open-faced dishes which can be permanently mounted on top of your RV, have multiple LNBs, and are "skewable:" Winegard and Motosat.

We have a Winegard Movin' View dome (stationary) which we've been very happy with in the year plus that we've had it. Our problem with every single open faced dish we've had has been wind. The domes aren't affected by wind.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:50 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am not sure of the brand dome that is on our '08 Bounder but we were told it could be upgraded to HD but at the cost of about $1000. We have decided to wait and hoep like all other things it comes down.

The least expensive option is to use a standard dish on a tri-pod mount. My brother has been doing this for several years and feels it is better than a fixed postion on the roof as it can often times they can be blocked by buildings or dense trees.He has purchased a small meter that makes aiming easy and fast.

'08 Bounder 35 H
Monty W S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:59 PM   #7

Monty,
Just to clarify a bit, your dome can NEVER be upgraded to receive the DirecTV HDTV programming. You could use the dome for Dish Network but not DirecTV.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">crank up with a digital elevation readout is extreemly easy to use </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

One addition I would highly recommend if you go with the crank up dish, is to get the analog signal finder/meter from RadioShack (made by Winegard). This little device is a must have item since it will pickup up the signal as you get close to the satellite much faster than the digital signal meter in the sat box. With the combination of the elev meter and the signal meter you can find the satellite very fast. I don't have an auto-dome system - but RVers have told me that - with experience - the crank up dish finds the signal faster. I typically find the signal in 1 or 2 minutes, unless I parked under a tree!
Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Another item...it is my understanding that the Auto systems will not pick up the satelite in Alaska or far up north in Canada, but a crank up dish will pick up DirecTV so I'm told.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:28 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Are the above posts saying that our auto dishes will not work with Direct TV in a few months when all signals are converted to HD?
Old 12-16-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by supercub:
Are the above posts saying that our auto dishes will not work with Direct TV in a few months when all signals are converted to HD? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Over-the-air TV signals (signals received by an antenna) are being converted to digital, not to HD. All HD is digital, but not all digital is HD.

Satellite TV is already digital. The receiver box converts the digital signal to analog so you older TV can read them. Older dishes will still work with standard definition DirectTV after Feb., 2009, at least for the foreseeable future.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:23 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As far as an automatic dish not working in Alaska vs. a manual dish, my MotoSat stopped working about Quesnel on the way north. I got the signal again in Valdez. It was not manual vs auto, it was the size of the dish. An 18 inch dish just didn't want to capture the signals.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bullrider24:
Hi to all again...
Now that we have month under our belt with our new 08 Bounder 32K - my regular tv antenae just doesn't cut it. I have seen MH with domes and crank up dishes. Economically - I understand the dishes are less money than the dome systems. What advice can you offer as to what to look for, what to steer clear of and what is better - direct v. Dish network? We definitely can't swing the in motion system but the crank up looks more doable. From what I have seen in friends MHs - the dish is pretty awesome. Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bullrider, If you opt to go with the crankup, keep in mind that you can only pick up one satellite at a time because the skew will not be adjustable. At least I think this is right. Bill Adams can calify this for you(and me)
Old 12-16-2008, 07:43 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
I was under the impression that it was not so much the size of the dish...I thought it was the very low angle to the horizon that was the issue, and the dish inside the dome will not go over to that far of an angle.

And yes, it look like the crank model will not handle the skew. I noticed Winegard has a new unit for local digial signal: Model: RM-DM61 and for the multi-sat the auto SK-3003 (DirecTV) - no dome so angle should be no issue.

It seems to me that they could offer a crank dish that could get the sats at 101º, 110º and 119º simultaneously, but they just don't offer one. My home system picks up multiple sats - the dish is just a little wider. Just stick it on a crank pedistal.