Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2017, 02:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
Phochief
Is the round black Winegard sat antenna on the roof of your 2017 Bounder a "dome"..or an "open face dish"?

For 16 years, (since '02)...I've been using the now 21 year old Kingdome on the roof of my '96 Safari... (along with a DirecTV receiver I take from my house)... to receive DirecTV SD satellite programing in my coach.

I don't think you can get DirecTV satellite reception in HD with ANY "dome" antenna.

It's a fairly small black dome. You're right, to get Directv HD I'll need to switch out the dome for a dish antenna like the Winegard Traveler.

Thanks,
David
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2017, 03:07 PM   #16

PHO
I seems to me you've got a good case of RVitus. Primary symptom is accepting less than you want to get a coach. So far I see you want to add a washer drier and now modify the roof for a different satellite receiver. You know as soon as you mess with the roof your gonna lose any warranty against water leaks.
Rule in coach buying #1 DO NOT SIGN THE PAPERS UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY SATISIFIED.
That means do a complete pre delivery inspection of the coach. Test drive the coach and make sure the wheel is straight and there aren't any unusual pulling or noises and your comfortable driving it.
Do not take any dealers promises to fix something not to your satisfaction later, if it isn't right don't accept it. The way you can tell an RV dealer is lying to you is that their lips are moving.
If your buying a Fleetwood product make sure your reasonably close to one of the factory service centers you will need them.

May I strongly suggest you look at this thread there is a lot of useful information in it
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f107/2016...ce-276429.html
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 04:44 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
PHO
I seems to me you've got a good case of RVitus. Primary symptom is accepting less than you want to get a coach. So far I see you want to add a washer drier and now modify the roof for a different satellite receiver. You know as soon as you mess with the roof your gonna lose any warranty against water leaks.
Rule in coach buying #1 DO NOT SIGN THE PAPERS UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY SATISIFIED.
That means do a complete pre delivery inspection of the coach. Test drive the coach and make sure the wheel is straight and there aren't any unusual pulling or noises and your comfortable driving it.
Do not take any dealers promises to fix something not to your satisfaction later, if it isn't right don't accept it. The way you can tell an RV dealer is lying to you is that their lips are moving.
If your buying a Fleetwood product make sure your reasonably close to one of the factory service centers you will need them.

May I strongly suggest you look at this thread there is a lot of useful information in it
Yep, bad case of RVitus and the itching is driving me crazy! Holding off on the washer/dryer combo for awhile but really do want to upgrade the Sat antenna. Calling dealer service center tomorrow to get an installation quote. I'm thinking that "factory installed" may keep the roof warranty intact.

Now, I've got to go start another thread about extended warranty plans.....
Old 02-03-2017, 07:26 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Traveler antenna is excellent. We received fly replaced a dome with one. One of the best changes we have made.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #19

FWIW
You can get a Dish Wally for about 100.00. Then all you have to do is buy a month of Pay As You Go service to see if it fits your needs. That's a LOT cheaper than replacing the Satellite Dish. As I type this I'm watching a movie in HD with that exact system. I got the Wally during the Holiday season for 75.00.
Old 02-03-2017, 11:13 PM   #20

We have DirecTV at home as well.
We opted for the HD dish and love it.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #21

So I called the dealer to get a quote for the Winegard Traveler Sat antenna and installation. They wanted $2,000 just for the sat antenna, and another $1,000 for installation! Total: $3,000.

I can buy the Winegard SK-SWM3 Slimline Automatic Multi-Satellite TV Antenna from Amazon, free shipping, for $1,527 and install it myself. I think I'll install it myself. 👍
Old 02-09-2017, 06:01 PM   #22

Your gonna replace the existing satellite antenna without even trying it? RVitus.
Tell your dealer that you want a coach with HD Direct TV capability and a washer/dryer or you'll buy a coach from someone else that will meet your requirements. Your the one in the drivers seat if your dealer won't sell you a coach that meets your requirements there are other ones out there that will. There is at least a 1 in 5 chance that the coach will do so badly on your pre delivery inspection that you won't take delivery regardless.
Examples:
You drop down the front overhead bed and it's soaked with water from a roof leak. You turn on the water pump and the water starts flooding the RV interior. The TV in the outside entertainment center is waterlogged when you open the compartment. You look under the coach and the entire underside is full of corrosion after being driven to the dealer from the factory on freshly salted winter roadways.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:11 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
I agree , hook up the existing antenna and use your direct receiver if you can .. really , std def isn't that bad .. and your not full timing just weekending and vacation right ? If you can't stand it after a few trips .... then spend the upgrade money. You'll find plenty of things to spend money on after you spend some time with the new rig. You can then decide what's important!
Old 02-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by z3406 View Post
Your gonna replace the existing satellite antenna without even trying it? RVitus.
Tell your dealer that you want a coach with HD Direct TV capability and a washer/dryer or you'll buy a coach from someone else that will meet your requirements. Your the one in the drivers seat if your dealer won't sell you a coach that meets your requirements there are other ones out there that will. There is at least a 1 in 5 chance that the coach will do so badly on your pre delivery inspection that you won't take delivery regardless.
Examples:
You drop down the front overhead bed and it's soaked with water from a roof leak. You turn on the water pump and the water starts flooding the RV interior. The TV in the outside entertainment center is waterlogged when you open the compartment. You look under the coach and the entire underside is full of corrosion after being driven to the dealer from the factory on freshly salted winter roadways.
I've checked around for 500 miles and no other dealer even comes close to their price. I will certainly try the Sat dish that comes with the coach first, and if it's not what I want, I'll add the upgraded Directv HD dish.

Otherwise, what you're saying sure sounds like the Bounder is a real POS. Maybe I should just cancel the order and find a nice retirement home to live in.

Thanks,
David
Old 02-09-2017, 11:28 PM   #25

I am not saying that Bounders are a POS. I am saying that the RV industry has some serious quality control issues and regardless of the brand your looking at a new coach is gonna have issues, some serious some not so much. My best advise is not to sign any paperwork until you have inspected the coach and test driven it. Then insist that anything not to your standards be corrected before you sign anything. If the dealer will not let you test drive the coach take your business elsewhere.
If you take your written deal to any dealer chances are they will beat or match that offer.
My experience with my 2016 Bounder is in this thread . Read it and draw your own conclusions.

I am also attaching the PDI checklist I use when inspecting a coach
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PDI Checklist.pdf (75.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 02-10-2017, 04:11 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phochief View Post
So I called the dealer to get a quote for the Winegard Traveler Sat antenna and installation. They wanted $2,000 just for the sat antenna, and another $1,000 for installation! Total: $3,000.

I can buy the Winegard SK-SWM3 Slimline Automatic Multi-Satellite TV Antenna from Amazon, free shipping, for $1,527 and install it myself. I think I'll install it myself. 👍
Is the only reason you are upgrading is because you want directv in hd?
1527+ and a day to install the new unit?
If it were me I'd take the 1527+ and have a couple YEARS of dish network service in HD. Dish allows you to start and stop service at will.
But that's my opinion. Love my dish network in HD.
BTW, I agree with Al. Hope your expectations on an rv aren't u realistic. A new rv will need tending too almost guaranteed. And it has nothing to do with it being a Bounder.
Best of luck to you.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:09 AM   #27

you mentioned having to pay direct tv for another receiver for the rv. why? we have the traveler antenna on the 5th wheel and direct tv at home. we just unplug the receiver from the house and plug it in to the connections in the 5th wheel. no need to even tell direct tv about it. get local channels either via over the air or via park cable and networks via direct tv. you are either at home or in the rv. you don't need receivers both places unless you are trying to use tv at both places at the same time.
bigchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:18 AM   #28

We did our 5 hour walk through on Friday and drove away with a beautiful 2017 Bounder 33C. No leaks, No problems, everything works well. Couldn't be happier.

Regarding the washer dryer combo, we're going to wait awhile before adding that. I'll do the install myself.

I disconnected a Directv HD DVR receiver from my office and hooked it up inside the Bounder. The Winegrad Sat dish did fine and the SD is acceptable, but eventually I'll upgrade it to the Traveler for Directv HD reception.

We're not going to be full timers, but we'll be traveling about 6 months out of the year. Right now I'm busy reading all the manuals. I'm sure I'll be picking the collective brains on here for any problems I run into.

Thanks all,
David

Tags
bounder, satellite