Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Scangauge D for 2003 Discovery

Considering on buying a Scangauge D to monitor engine performance. I have a 330 hp Cat. Can anyone who has a similar model and age coach that installed this gauge, let me know if the install was easy... Where the plug is on the Discovery... If it's driver friendly... And if you find it a worthwhile investment. It sounds like it can do a lot... But the screen seems so small...

If you have a different real time monitor that didn't cost BIG bucks, that you found easy to install and/or maybe has a bigger screen, please let me know. I would like to consider all options.

The main reason I am looking at Scangauge is because of all the prior threads on this site. Since the last thread I found was over a year ago, and there were software issues, I would like to hear more recent feedback. Thanks!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #2

I don't have a Discovery, but my coach is a 2000 DP. You need to look under the dash for a round electrical connector about 1 1/4" in diameter, usually black, with either 6 or 9 pins. You just plug one end of the ScanGuageD wiring into that connector and the other end into the gauge. The rest is really easy just follow the instructions. It really couldn't be easier as long as you have the round connector under the dash. Good luck!
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:53 AM   #3

I have an 05 Bounder DP with the same chassis. The plug is under the dash by the bottom of the steering column. I wasted my money on the scanguage. You can only view 4 gauges at once. The unit will not scan through the other gauges. You must push a button beside one of the gauges to view another. Distracted driving comes to mind. It is usefull for reading trouble codes and is really not expensive. If you have the room a VMSPC is the way to go. They now have a unit that will send data to a tablet or cell phone via Bluetooth. However it is new and only has printed data. No actual gauges. I am betting that in the near future they will bring out a full featured version. AFAIK no other units for diesels are available
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:08 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have a 2006 Discovery and the connector is under the dash. You might have to dig around in the wlires to find it. Just program it for the 4 screens you use the most. I like the instant mpg and rpm so you can drive in your sweet spot to get the best mpg.
Old 01-29-2014, 08:27 AM   #5

The software issues have been fixed. I bought mine a year ago and had an issue with the boost readout (I think it was just using the wrong units). I contacted their support line and they sent me a new unit with the latest software. They didn't require me to send the old unit back first.
No problems with the new unit.
I like the simplicity. Four gauges is enough. I don't need to be monitoring 20-30 different readouts at a time.
I normally have MPG (instant and average), Voltage (am paranoid since my alternator failed) and boost (because my dash boost gauge doesn't work).
It's easy to cycle through the others unless wearing gloves like last weekend.
I mounted mine on the right dash above the rear view camera. Drilled a hold in the dash to pass the rear connector through (it has a rear and a side connector) and attached with Velcro. Easy to see and read at a glance.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
I don't need to be monitoring 20-30 different readouts at a time..
Exactly, 4 is enough. Any more than that IS distracted driving I think.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:27 PM   #7

I installed a ScanGauge D in our 2003 Expedition ~18 months ago. Also got a new unit for a then software problem from the manufacturer. No problems. couldn't be happier with it, and wouldn't be without it..

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:09 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Have had one for almost 2 years and the company is easy to work with if you have a problem.
I set it up to show transmission temp, water temp, air intake temp,and mpg as I already have a EGT and intake boost gauges.
It is well worth the money for the price.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:26 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wb7auk View Post
Have had one for almost 2 years and the company is easy to work with if you have a problem.
I set it up to show transmission temp, water temp, air intake temp,and mpg as I already have a EGT and intake boost gauges.
It is well worth the money for the price.
I went to Camping World today and bought one. They are on sale for $147 and got a 10% off in the mail coupon. After tax paid $142. I plan on setting it up to show the same as wb7auk. Can't install it just now as the cover is on and it's about 15 degrees inside. I figure for $142 I can't go wrong... Thanks everyone!
Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 AM   #10

Steve,

Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy using your ScanGauge D. Note, i don't think you can tell if the unit you purchased from Camping World has the latest software. When I purchased mine, i called Linear Logic, the company that makes the ScanGauge units. They told me how to check the software version, then said it was outdated. They immediately sent me the updated version unit, and I returned the unit I purchased i had purchased to them. Might be something to check out.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfbatonrg View Post
Steve,

Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy using your ScanGauge D. Note, i don't think you can tell if the unit you purchased from Camping World has the latest software. When I purchased mine, i called Linear Logic, the company that makes the ScanGauge units. They told me how to check the software version, then said it was outdated. They immediately sent me the updated version unit, and I returned the unit I purchased i had purchased to them. Might be something to check out.
That stinks! I will contact them for sure... Thanks for the heads up!
Old 01-31-2014, 05:47 PM   #12

The benefit of buying direct is you're more likely to get the latest firmware. There's no telling how long CW have had that unit on a shelf.

Good news is Linear Logic are great to deal with. They will send a replacement out with a pre-paid return label to send the other unit back.

In my case DW burned the return box before I could send it back. Thankfully, she removed the Scangauge before burning the box.
Old 01-31-2014, 07:34 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chawkins99 View Post
The benefit of buying direct is you're more likely to get the latest firmware. There's no telling how long CW have had that unit on a shelf.

Good news is Linear Logic are great to deal with. They will send a replacement out with a pre-paid return label to send the other unit back.

In my case DW burned the return box before I could send it back. Thankfully, she removed the Scangauge before burning the box.
Before I left home I called and found out that CW had 2 left on the shelf. When I got to the store I found they were marked down as "clearance items". Reduced from $185 to $167. I had to let them know they were on sale for $147 in their flyer...

Fortunately, I haven't opened the package yet, as my coach is under wraps right now and very cold inside. This will be a March day project, but will be calling Linear Logic on Monday!

Did the DW install it for you too? LoL!
Old 02-01-2014, 08:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Before I left home I called and found out that CW had 2 left on the shelf. When I got to the store I found they were marked down as "clearance items". Reduced from $185 to $167. I had to let them know they were on sale for $147 in their flyer...

Fortunately, I haven't opened the package yet, as my coach is under wraps right now and very cold inside. This will be a March day project, but will be calling Linear Logic on Monday!

Did the DW install it for you too? LoL!
Awesome! Linear Logic sell them on their web site for $169.

Where do CW get $185?