Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2016, 06:06 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
While researching a different topic (our emergency exit window shattered while driving down the road) I received this information from the Fleetwood Tech Rep via email:

"Our techs have shared typically of the window does fall out and break, it is caused by the window being opened past 45degrees. This window is designed to be used only as a one time escape window. "

So, I expect, certain windows are designed NOT to be opened (as ours is) and, therefore, wouldn't need a screen.
lynch763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2016, 06:18 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

If the emergency exit swings open without the need to remove the screen, it can have one. If not, then it is not (RVIA standards) supposed to have a screen. On my coach, for example, the entire window frame is hinged, so a screen is fine. The screen swings out right along with the window. If the exit path requires you to slide the window itself open, then it cannot have a screen blocking it, either inside or out. Even if the screen is "easy" to pop out. Easy things often aren't so easy when in a panic situation.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:33 PM   #17

Sounds like BS to me!

Our 2007 Discovery with full wall slide has a window from floor to ceiling. Bottom half of the window slides upward. Has a screen on it.
How do I know its an emergency exit? The window lock is bright red.
Emergency exit or not if the coach catches fire im not going to let a flimsey screen keep me inside the coach, panic or not!
Why not just make your own screen like suggested above?

Gary Brinck
I dont know where your getting your info. My coach has a RIVA sticker next to the front door.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 08:27 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynch763 View Post
While researching a different topic (our emergency exit window shattered while driving down the road) I received this information from the Fleetwood Tech Rep via email:

"Our techs have shared typically of the window does fall out and break, it is caused by the window being opened past 45degrees. This window is designed to be used only as a one time escape window. "

So, I expect, certain windows are designed NOT to be opened (as ours is) and, therefore, wouldn't need a screen.
I open that emergency window all the time (not more than a few degrees though). Mine has not fallen out. I have the same year and model as yours ('16 35K)
Old 10-26-2016, 09:38 AM   #19

I do recall the 93 Pace Arrow diesel we owned for 12 years had an emergency exit window that did NOT have a screen. Red lever at the bottom. It hinged out. Never did seal very good.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:55 AM   #20

Our Thor Challenger has no screens on any emergency window and we were told by Thor that it is so they can be used in emergency. DW rigged a screen with velcro and magnets in BR.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 09:58 AM   #21

We are out here in Quartzsite and the flying insects are finding a way in at night!
Looks like ill be inspecting ALL the screens this AM!
Unusally warm fall out here have the bugs out late in the season!

Tags
scr, window