Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2023, 08:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Securing House Batteries

I recently suffered a battery fire on my ‘05 Providence, when one of the battery hold-down clamps came into contact with a positive battery cable. This ultimately shorted out all of my house batteries, frying my inverter/charger in the process. A very costly experience.

I’d like to scrap the factory hold-down rods & clamps and install something that won’t pose a fire threat. Has anyone with the same battery configuration modified their setup?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4392.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	442.4 KB
ID:	390826

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2023, 12:56 AM   #2

I use home depot ratchet straps.
About $2 each and I keep the ratchet on the side or bottom of the batteries.

Once tight, I cut off the excess strap.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2023, 03:39 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The other thing you could do is install chafing protection on your battery cables. The plastic automotive wire loom stuff would work well. Our MH came with that on all the battery cables.
oldenavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 05:02 AM   #4

Ouch...me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Man View Post
I recently suffered a battery fire on my ‘05 Providence, when one of the battery hold-down clamps came into contact with a positive battery cable. This ultimately shorted out all of my house batteries, frying my inverter/charger in the process. A very costly experience.

I’d like to scrap the factory hold-down rods & clamps and install something that won’t pose a fire threat. Has anyone with the same battery configuration modified their setup?

Attachment 390826
Fried my inverter when a friend helping me install 4 new house batteries connected the thermocouple to a positive post. $1500 mistake! Still friends. LOL Used ratchet straps for tie downs. Excellent choice and cheap. Won't corrode.
Navy Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 08:58 AM   #5

In your photo it looks like the clamp on the righthand battery is correct, the left and center clamps are improperly placed. The tab that rests on the top of the battery could use some electrical tape or heat shrink for added protection.
Old 04-26-2023, 09:27 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My batteries sit in a small wooden box. Between the weight of the batteries and the pressure the cables put on them, they can't move.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries