Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #1

Self contained 120V outlet with USB

Next to the bed I have a 120V outlet, I would like to swap it for an outlet with USB connections, but it's in a shallow paneling wall, so it uses a 'self contained' outlet. (sample pic attached) Anyone know where I can find this style of outlet, but with USB ports, so I don't have to have a wall wort hanging out of it all the time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	self-contained.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	297062  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2020, 04:16 AM   #2

I found a shallow one that works in my coach at Home Depot.
chiefM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:42 PM   #3

I have found that while these are a great idea conceptually, in reality they don't work well. They take a long time to charge things.
Fairfieldwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #4

You are better off getting one that overlays the original and adds the USB. It sticks out a little further, but plug and play.
Old 09-04-2020, 09:06 PM   #5

Buy USB outlet adapter(s) and just plug into that OEM outlet.

No rewiring etc

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=usb+wall+...l_134068fpki_e
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLoves2Sk View Post
Next to the bed I have a 120V outlet, I would like to swap it for an outlet with USB connections, but it's in a shallow paneling wall, so it uses a 'self contained' outlet. (sample pic attached) Anyone know where I can find this style of outlet, but with USB ports, so I don't have to have a wall wort hanging out of it all the time?
What you'll find is these are RV outlets. They cannot be simply replaced with a residential outlet. The screws holding them in place are different.
You would need to replace the outlet and install a residential box. But the problem is residential outlets are not made to handle the vibration and shaking an RV goes through and why they have different style outlets. So replacing it creates a danger to the RV IMO.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfieldwiz View Post
I have found that while these are a great idea conceptually, in reality they don't work well. They take a long time to charge things.

The receptacles that I installed at the house (Leviton 3.6 amp) charged my Galaxy S10 30% in 30 minutes.
A lot of the receptacles have a charge current of 1.4 amps or less.
Old 09-05-2020, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
What you'll find is these are RV outlets. They cannot be simply replaced with a residential outlet. The screws holding them in place are different.
You would need to replace the outlet and install a residential box. But the problem is residential outlets are not made to handle the vibration and shaking an RV goes through and why they have different style outlets. So replacing it creates a danger to the RV IMO.

Arrow Hart sells a Hospital Grade USB/ Duplex receptacle combination (p/n: TR8255). These receptacles are designed for long life in challenging conditions (multiple connection/disconnections daily). The contacts are much stronger than residential wiring devices.