RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #1

Shear springs broken

I have a 1997 pace arrow on a p30 chassis with a tag axle. My rubber shear springs have separate on both sides of the tag axle. I plan to replace them but I wanted to know if we could still drive without replacing them for now. Will this cause any damage? They appear to been damaged and somebody welded little plates to connect the broken sections to the good section but the welds have broken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200513_141332.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	285453  
Big bare is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2020, 10:34 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bare View Post
I have a 1997 pace arrow on a p30 chassis with a tag axle. My rubber shear springs have separate on both sides of the tag axle. I plan to replace them but I wanted to know if we could still drive without replacing them for now. Will this cause any damage? They appear to been damaged and somebody welded little plates to connect the broken sections to the good section but the welds have broken.
What else locates the axle?

If there are no trailing arms, the axle could come loose.

I wouldn't want to put a lot of miles on before you replace them.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 02:13 PM   #3

You're in luck. That's a MORryde setup. They are still around. You're plan to replace will be easy.

MORryde International, RV Suspensions, TV Mounts, Sliding Trays

They are discussed often here at irv2.com.

As for driving it, that side of the tag surely isn't taking much load that way. The dual axle may be over loaded. I agree with Norman, I wouldn't be driving far.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #4

After looking into it more I will not be driving this until they are replaced. Will call morryde monday for prices and availability. Thanks for the replies
Old 05-21-2020, 11:17 AM   #5

After looking at both shear spring and thinking of what would cause both sides to fail and come apart as bad as they did, I believe that my leafsprings are worn out. They are flat with no arch what so ever. You can see in the picture that the shear springs are completely apart and the passenger side is actually on the frame and keeping the wheel from traveling any farther up into the fender. The driver side middle shear spring came apart and is far enough out from the frame the wheel has traveled well past the frame. I have thought about getting air bags for the drive axle in time for a better ride but I know that will not fix this problem from happening again. Has anyone replaced the leafsprings? What company have you gone with and is there an aftermarket brand that is better than OEM?
Old 05-21-2020, 12:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Do you have rubber bumpers on your drive axle?

How far are they from touching?

If you lift your frame up either with the jacks or by jacking on the frame, you can take the load off the springs and see if your rig levels out.

Is it down at the back now?

If it isn't low at the back, maybe your springs are OK.

Some springs are designed to be pretty well straight normally.

The rubber in the shear springs degrades over time.

I would replace them, then revisit the springs.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping.Norman, 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 05:05 PM   #7

I had rubber bump stops at one time. The passenger side did not touch but the shear spring was broken and against the frame. (maybe keeping it from touching the axle) The driver side bump stop had rotted away and was only a little ball and stud but was not touching the axle. We put sumo springs in place of the original and the leafsprings do rest on them. After putting in the sumo springs it leveled it out better but the tag axle was still uneven because of the passenger side resting on the frame. Today I decided to weld the broken shear spring section on the passenger side like the previous owners had done. I did it just to see how it would hold up before I put a new one on and rip the new one apart if there was a problem with the leafsprings. It raised the coach up to the height that it should be at but it started to tear the next section of the shear spring that didn't seem to have any damage previously. Pictures are of the passenger side height with the welded spring and the driver side without it welded. The driver side sat this low even before welding the passenger side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200521_162117.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	286347   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200521_162048.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	195.1 KB
ID:	286348