Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2019, 06:53 PM   #1

Shocks for 2013 Storm 32’BH

Well I’m finally getting around to replacing my shocks. The factory Bilsteins have gotten worse and worse. Can I get a few recommendations for a much softer ride? This thing is rattling my bones!
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
nomad10th is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

In most cases shocks have little to do with rattling your bones. They are there to keep the wheels from bouncing off the road surface and losing control, not so much for comfort. A really rough ride is typically caused by excessive tire pressure. Shocks can contribute somewhat if ultra-stiff for the suspension, but factory shocks are rarely ever too stiff - mostly the opposite.

What chassis does your Storm ride on? Ford F53? WHat size?
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #3

Yes, F53.
2013 Fleetwood Storm 32BH, cheap handling fix, 5-Star tuned, custom cut Tempurpedic mattress, LED'd out, and custom mounted dog kennel. 14' JKU Willys Wheeler toad, SMI Stay-n-Play brakes, Demco Commander tow bar, Roadmaster brackets
Old 04-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #4

If you want to get serious and are going to have the RV a while, you might want to consider Sumo springs.
I just installed all 4 on my Southwind and made a world of difference in handling, ride, sway, bumps, everything.
Jimg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:34 AM   #5

I have the same model, same year with the same problems. Mine seems to be right side only. Left (drivers side) is fine. I've made an appointment with FW in Decatur because I have a some other issues that I want them to look at. Vibration has been so bad at times it has shaken the screws out of the dash on that side. Replaced tires 3 months ago and still had sporadic problems coming back to NJ from FL in February. Did cross country last fall, 7945 mi, and only had a couple of instances of the vibrations. Needless to say I'm watching the responses you get with interest. Have you had the shredding captain's chairs?
Any other problems to share? Part of our western sojourn included stops in Seattle, Portland, Linn,Or. and down the Or coast to San Francisco. Really love travelling out west but it takes so long to get there from here.
Old 04-23-2019, 10:23 PM   #6

Putting on Koni FSR shocks next month. I’ve heard really good things about them. I’ll be sure to post the results
Old 04-23-2019, 10:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverh View Post
I have the same model, same year with the same problems. Mine seems to be right side only. Left (drivers side) is fine. I've made an appointment with FW in Decatur because I have a some other issues that I want them to look at. Vibration has been so bad at times it has shaken the screws out of the dash on that side. Replaced tires 3 months ago and still had sporadic problems coming back to NJ from FL in February. Did cross country last fall, 7945 mi, and only had a couple of instances of the vibrations. Needless to say I'm watching the responses you get with interest. Have you had the shredding captain's chairs?

Any other problems to share? Part of our western sojourn included stops in Seattle, Portland, Linn,Or. and down the Or coast to San Francisco. Really love travelling out west but it takes so long to get there from here.

No major issues with the Storm over the years that I couldn’t handle. I highly recommend the “cheap handling fix” and tuner from 5 Star Tuning. Made a tremendous difference in ride quality/sway and shift points. I’m pretty certain my OEM Bilstein shocks are shot so it’s time to swap them out.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:12 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed standard ole Monroe's ($56) on my 2001 Mirada. BIG difference - HOWEVER, the OEM shocks (not bilstiens) were completely shot.

I was completely shocked when I removed them and found I could move the shocks up and down with no resistance.

I installed KYBs ($45) on my 1999 Southwind, I think they are to firm.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks