Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2015, 12:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob55 View Post
Here's my setup, and here's how things went, knowing I'm on a 15A circuit breaker circuit in the garage......

There is no place to plug/unplug a power cord to change from generator to shore power on my Southwind, my prior MinnieWinnie had that wonderful option and it's one I won't miss!

I have a SurgeGuard 34730 between my garage drop cord and the RV power cord, it shows 4A draw with the fridge on and one ceiling fan on. I turned on one AC unit to low AC, 13A draw, close enough for me to not push things further. Backed it down to high fan, 7A. Turned on the second AC unit, 10A. In for a penny, in for a pound.....I started the generator w/o disconnecting the shore power or shutting down the AC units or fridge, the generator settled in quickly, and the SurgeGuard showed 0A. The transfer switch quickly and smoothly transferred power with just a slight dip in the sound of the AC units. Everything was (almost instantly) back online. Turned both AC units to high and all works well. I checked the SurgeGuard again, still at 0A. Shut down the AC units, gave the generator a chance to run off-load, and shut it down. SurgeGuard once again indicated 4A as I started with.

It seemed to me to be nothing worse than a typical power flicker?
There ya go, the transfer switch is working properly by changing the power from shore to generator. My experience on 15a is it can barely run one A/C and nothing else at the same time. Experimenting in your driveway is a cool idea. BTW, a 30a RV box is easy to install and wire up to your current breaker box, if you're so inclined.
Enjoy your new coach.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #16

Sounds like you have it all figured out--good job. Only thing I would add is that most x-fer boxes and surge protectors for that matter, use open contactors [metal contact points] to transfer power. Accordingly, its probably a good idea to turn off major appliances when you first plugging in. Most gensets have a built in delay as do most roof A/C units, so the x-fer and surge protectors get time to contact before max amp loads are added. Things like bat chargers and water heaters dont have the same delay feature. As for unplugging shore power when you have an auto x-fer switch--no real reason to do it--thats why its "automatic."
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:19 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
Here's the net results.....

It was very nice to be able to figure out how/if everything worked long term (84 hrs) in our driveway, rather than relying on the dealership walk through. So far, so good!

With both AC's running, they managed the 90 degree plus weather this weekend just fine, actually had to turn up the thermostat! While this isn't hot, per se', my better half is very heat intolerant and this was a big plus....

After having the front leveling jacks replaced I was concerned about things staying level....spot on the whole time.

We are ready for the road! Let the travels begin again.......
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:27 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
As for unplugging shore power when you have an auto x-fer switch--no real reason to do it--thats why its "automatic."
If you have a mechanical switch then you DO need to unhook as the contacts aren't designed for the load, or at least that's what the manuals I've read say.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:17 PM   #19

I had to replace the transfer switch in our previous class A due to burned contacts and such, it just stopped working and when I took it apart I found the fried stuff.
That was soon after I purchased it used, so who knows what the previous owner put it through.
Here is the routine I follow:
1) RV plugged into shore power, turn off ALL 120v items.
2) Unplug shore power, stow cord, start generator. Check volt meter for 120v then restart A/C, coffee, fridge, etc.
3) Always turn campground breakers off before plugging in and unplugging.

I also check the voltage, neutral and ground circuits at the campground pedestal before plugging in. An open ground or neutral, high voltage or low voltage will ruin your day.
These are just my habits/routines; others may do stuff in a different fashion. You'll develope your own routines/habits as you gain more experience with your RV.
Glad your driveway camping was a success.
Now, you need to hit the road!
Have fun and be safe.
WeBRVing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, power, shore power