Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 06:45 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Shore power not charging chassis battery

In my 2002 Fleetwood Jamboree 29V motorhome, the shore power (or generator) is not charging the chassis battery - and likely it never did since buying it last summer. The engine alternator does charge the house battery in addition to charging the chassis battery. All verified with a digital voltmeter.

According to my owner's manual, "Both sets of batteries will be kept charged by the chassis engine alternator and charging system while you are driving. The DC power converter will charge the chassis and house batteries when plugged into 120-volt AC service.

I want to solve this issue so my shore power will charge the chassis battery so that I won't need to consider hooking up a trickle charger for the chassis battery.

A few questions:

1. Where is the "DC power converter"?

2. What fuse and/or relay (and where would it be located) might have failed that would cause the shore power to not be charging the chassis battery?

I included three pictures of the compartment next to my house battery, which I suspect might be where the DC power converter is located. None of my documentation tells me what the components and fuses are for.

I have heard that in some motorhomes, the auxiliary start switch relay that you can use to manually connect both batteries is what closes to allow the coach battery to charge the chassis battery when the house battery voltage is high. Is this the case for this Fleetwood motorhome? Or is it some other relay?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	327180   Click image for larger version

Name:	front-angle.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	350.3 KB
ID:	327181  

Name:	rear-angle.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	327182  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #2

I can't say for certain what years this pdf from Fleetwood covers , but it might help with your question .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Fleetwood aux battery wiring.pdf (1.89 MB, 22 views)
Old 05-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Our 2006 Monaco never charged from being plugged in. We finally bought a Trickle Charger that hooked up permanently between the chassis & house batteries. Can't remember the exact spelling, but it was called trickle charger. Works great.
karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:21 PM   #4

I believe the issue is with your solenoid in BCC area. It will house the main circuit board for your rv. I have a 2006 Bounder and had the same issue. You can google and come up with lots of info about replacing the solenoid. I bought the new part and thought Id try the old starter solenoid trick of tapping lightly on it with the back of a screw driver and it started working again. I stored my new solenoid for another time.
Solenoid is behind circuit board, top left in pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FAAEB71F-9E9B-4804-AF64-2933EF714F64.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	327184  
jtjj1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:52 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If only I knew for sure where the "Battery Control Center" is located. And the pictured circuit board - haven't seen anything like that in this RV (but perhaps it's hiding from me!).
Old 05-04-2021, 07:11 AM   #6

Check voltage on each circled connection.

If one matches house battery and the other matches chassis battery, That's the solenoid that connects for boost and charging.

Test it with engine on and off, boost switch on and off, shore power on and off.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2021-05-04-09-04-13.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	327200
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 07:30 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
On some RVs, there is a "Converter" that charges the house batteries when hooked up to 120VAC. It is a circuit board that is normally located in the circuit breaker panel box. This board can fail resulting in the symptoms you describe.
Old 05-05-2021, 12:49 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

If one matches house battery and the other matches chassis battery, That's the solenoid that connects for boost and charging.

Test it with engine on and off, boost switch on and off, shore power on and off.Attachment 327200
Voltage between each of those two circled points and what? The nearby negative post on the house battery?
Old 05-05-2021, 07:04 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

Test it with engine on and off, boost switch on and off, shore power on and off.Attachment 327200

The circled bolt/connection at the bottom of the picture (closest to the passenger side door) is at house battery voltage (13.58V charging from shore power). The other one is at chassis battery voltage (13.18V charging from an external trickle charger).
Old 05-05-2021, 07:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

In a 2002 Jamboree the "power converter" is almost surely integrated with the AC load center & DC fuse panel. It's probably a Magetek or Parallax Power brand unit with a model number like 7345. Please let us know what you have.

There will be a relay that gets closed to connect the house battery to the chassis battery so that both can be charged at once. That relay is getting closed when the engine alternator is running, but not when the converter is powered. A device called a Battery Control Center handles that, closing the relay when certain conditions are met. I'm not sure what sort of BCC your old Jamboree uses, but Fleetwood often employed one of several models from RV Custom Products (RVP). It may have failed, or may simply have a breaker or fuse tripped.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:36 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
In a 2002 Jamboree the "power converter" is almost surely integrated with the AC load center & DC fuse panel. It's probably a Magetek or Parallax Power brand unit with a model number like 7345. Please let us know what you have.

There will be a relay that gets closed to connect the house battery to the chassis battery so that both can be charged at once. That relay is getting closed when the engine alternator is running, but not when the converter is powered. A device called a Battery Control Center handles that, closing the relay when certain conditions are met. I'm not sure what sort of BCC your old Jamboree uses, but Fleetwood often employed one of several models from RV Custom Products (RVP). It may have failed, or may simply have a breaker or fuse tripped.
When using the manual auxiliary start switch at the steering wheel, I can hear a relay actuating in that area near the house battery, almost surely in the area I took the above pictures. But I'm not sure where in all that mess of wires and fuses it might be located.

There is a small rectangular device with a white label that says "RV CUSTOM PRODUCTS" and in the left lower corner it says "CONTACTS 0 NEG" and in the lower right "CONTACTS 0 POS".

Perhaps that might by the mystery device?
Old 05-08-2021, 08:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by budh9534 View Post
The circled bolt/connection at the bottom of the picture (closest to the passenger side door) is at house battery voltage (13.58V charging from shore power). The other one is at chassis battery voltage (13.18V charging from an external trickle charger).
That's your isolation solenoid, buried below those cables. Looks like a project to get to it.
When you hold the boost switch, the voltages should be equal.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2021-05-08-22-03-52.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	327720
Old 05-23-2021, 11:10 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:

For the circled bolts noted by twinboat, the bottom one is at house battery voltage and the one above it is at chassis battery voltage (both voltages in comparison to the house battery ground which is only a few feet away.

I don't know for certain what repair or replacement is needed to get shore power to charge the chassis battery, and it looks like a mess even getting to the part needing replacement, even if i could be sure of identifiying it.

So I'm thinking I could hook some kind of trickle charge device right near those bolts (and the house battery beside those two bolts). I should have three connection points:

1. Bolt with house battery voltage (or the house battery positive post - either should work)

2. Bolt with chassis battery voltage

3. The negative terminal of the house battery

Does this make sense? And what are a few of the best devices out there that I can hook up to those three points to allow the chassis battery to get charged by the house battery/shore power/generator?

If it was a device that would disconnect from the chassis battery if house battery voltage became very low, that would be preferred - but it is not necessary, since I expect house battery voltage to rarely be low, since the chassis battery/alternator is properly charging the house battery when the engine is running.
Old 05-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #14

The 2 bolts are the top of your isolation solenoid.

Looks like changing it could be a project.

If your against that, here is a device that you can connect to those two bolts that will do what you want.

You will need 2 short 10 gauge wires with eyes, and a thinner one for a ground connection.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2021-05-19-16-28-23.jpeg
Views:	18
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	329271

Tags
battery, charging, chassis, power, shore power