Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #1

Should I BUY a Fleetwood Motorhome?

Hi! We are shopping for our first Class A diesel Motorhome, we are going Fulltime. One RV we are interested in, is a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 39R, because of the space the Superslide allows from the driver to the bedroom, and has two more slides on the other side. Any feedback on this particular RV model, the quality, problems with the superslide, or anything else would be appreciated. I don't know much about Fleetwood, their quality, do they stand behind their products, is everyone happy they bought a Fleetwood? Thanks for the help!
aconaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2017, 11:02 AM   #2

I have 2005 39s I like mine the next one I buy 2008 or newer. Answer is yes
Dog gone fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aconaway View Post
Hi! We are shopping for our first Class A diesel Motorhome, we are going Fulltime. One RV we are interested in, is a 2008 Fleetwood Discovery 39R, because of the space the Superslide allows from the driver to the bedroom, and has two more slides on the other side. Any feedback on this particular RV model, the quality, problems with the superslide, or anything else would be appreciated. I don't know much about Fleetwood, their quality, do they stand behind their products, is everyone happy they bought a Fleetwood? Thanks for the help!
My Fleetwood is not a DP Bounder with slides but I willingly say this. I am happy with what I have. It does exactly what I intended to do with it. Not a lot of fancy frills I don't need but still well appointed and usable. We do enjoy it a lot. The overall fit and finish is very good and the floor plan works well for our needs although the floor plan was not high on our priority list when we started shopping for a class A.
As far as standing behind their products I don't think any manufacturer is going to stand behind a ten year RV for any reason. The warranty period has long expired especially as you are not the original owner.
I will say this also. After I bought my Fleetwood I had an issue and called Lazy Days RV in Florida. I got their phone number off a decal on my MH as they were the original selling dealer. My question was answered in a friendly and professional manner very thoroughly. I was pleased with their caring response to say the least.
I would definitely buy a Fleetwood again.
Lynn
Old 10-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #4

Love my 2008 Expedition, went to Alaska this summer 11,500 miles.

Just keep up the maintenance.
Old 10-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #5

Great company and they make great RV’s

I know many on this forum have not much good to say about Fleetwood and push other brands. I think they make a great coach, I looked at a 39r just a week ago, great layout!

I think most modern day coaches are similar in quality, repairs etc. Thus often times it’s more about how it was or wasn’t maintained vs the actual brand.

I presently live 2-3hrs from where they are made thus my next coach will be a Fleetwood. I like being able to take it to them for service if needed.... and not dealing with a dealership.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 05:51 PM   #6

You are right, most people suggest we purchase Tiffin, Newmar, Winnebago, and since we are looking older Country Coach, or Monaco too. I think thats why I'm hesitant, and wanted to reach out to other Fleetwood owners. We've also been told it doen't really matter what manufacturer since it's a older motorhome, but more importantly like you said is how it was maintained. This Dicovery is at a dealership, and they don't have the owner history, so we would have our own inspector come in.
aconaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:05 PM   #7

Big fan of Fleetwood. Was at California RV show yesterday.
Considering a Discovery.
Visited Newmar Tiffin Entrgra and got a lot of attitude most from current owners.
Not a fan of tile floors and can't see the need for 60k in solid wood cabinets.
For us it's 2 or 3 three to five day trips a month. Most California Arizona and Colorado.
Looking to hit Pacific northwest soon.
Local dealer here makes Fleetwood service easy.
We drive Lincloins because of awesome local service as well.
Had a Lexus never again.
I just wish there was a mid door Discovery as we love our loft bed for our adult children.
Wife won't due without one now.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog gone fun View Post
I have 2005 39s I like mine the next one I buy 2008 or newer. Answer is yes
We just traded in our 2005 39S and I loved the way it rode and handled. We only traded it in because we wanted a different floor plan. We did get a 2011 American Coach, Eagle and so far we like it.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:27 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Last two for us were Fleetwoods. Very happy. Very few DPs have the door anywhere but up front.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Another FW fan here. Coaches of that era were built well, IMO. The Discovery was the best bang for the buck in FW diesels, same for the Bounder for gas.

Lori-
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 07:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by krivanj View Post
Last two for us were Fleetwoods. Very happy. Very few DPs have the door anywhere but up front.
Yeah
This Palazzo. Pace Arrow LE. HR Navigator Xe.
We're looking.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:43 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe older Fleetwood's is best bet

From 2016 forward, quality control in the newer Fleetwood models is horrendous. My 2016 Bounder has been back to factory twice, and as a separate issue, Ford comped me $15,000 for ABS issues that began with 1,400 mi on the odometer. I have read good reviews on older Fleetwood's models prior to 2015 so a well-taken care of use one might be a good way to go.
Fleetwood once led the RV market in sales and quality, however, that is a distant memory now....sadly.
One High water mark for Fleetwood (the REV Group) they have, and are opening, service centers around the country...a good move since these centers have top-notch technicians, especially at Decatur, IN.
wayno347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
You are right, most people suggest we purchase Tiffin, Newmar, Winnebago, and since we are looking older Country Coach, or Monaco too.
Monaco is built by the same company as the Fleetwood models.

Monaco is a recreational vehicle (RV) brand, manufactured in Decatur, Indiana, by REV Group. Monaco holds an iconic portfolio of popular Class A Diesel motorhomes, including Diplomat and Dynasty. Monaco is led by Monaco President, Mike Snell, and Allied Recreation Group President, Jim Jacobs. Allied Recreation Group is a subsidiary of Allied Specialty Vehicles.[2]
Allied Recreation Group was established in 2013 following the acquisition of Monaco and Holiday Rambler. Allied Recreation Group is one of the leading manufacturers of Class A Gas, Class A Diesel, and Class C Gas products for Fleetwood RV, American Coach, Holiday Rambler, Monaco, and Trek.[3] The company maintains significant manufacturing operations, including a state-of-the-art ARG Factory Service Center in Decatur, Indiana, and Coburg, Oregon; and a national OEM Retail Parts Store. The name was changed to REV Group in 2015.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:35 AM   #14

The above is referring to Monaco post economic meltdown, not pre-meltdown, there were a lot of ownership change ups post 2009
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fleetwood, motorhome