Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #1

Shower drain

I have a slow shower drain. What product can I use to help it?
senljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2021, 06:11 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Shower drain

Take the grate off and look in there..... you will most likely see a big clog of hair. Try to pull the hair out with screwdriver and needle nose pliers. Don’t use those zip tie things with teeth on them.....it will damage the valve which lets water flow down but blocks sewer smells from coming up.

I have heard boiling water will sometimes help if the clog is from soap and hair care products which have dried.

You are using liquid soap, I hope ? Don’t use bar soap.

When you get things good again, use a hair trap in the drain from now on. Hair Shroom or similar.....
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Take the grate off and look in there..... you will most likely see a big clog of hair. Try to pull the hair out with screwdriver and needle nose pliers. Don’t use those zip tie things with teeth on them.....it will damage the valve which lets water flow down but blocks sewer smells from coming up.

I have heard boiling water will sometimes help if the clog is from soap and hair care products which have dried.

You are using liquid soap, I hope ? Don’t use bar soap.

When you get things good again, use a hair trap in the drain from now on. Hair Shroom or similar.....
It doesn't look like the grate is removable..it is down in there about 1.5"
Also-are you recommending using liquid soap when showering instead of bar soap? Curious why.
Also IF it is hair that is causing the slow drain, is there a safe product i can also use to clean the drain?
senljk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 04:51 AM   #4

Don't use bar soap? Haven't heard that one before.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:06 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a hair trap over the drain but it still clogs up over time. Then I use a drain snake:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/bestsell...7_3226846011_1
lynch763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 06:14 AM   #6

Def remove any hair you see. I found even a little will slow things down.
Not sure what grate you have but I have one that is round and flush with the shower floor. That one is removable. Then there is a cross in the drain that some may think is a grate, it is not, and not removable AFAIK.
I used a scoop of oxiclean when mine became slow. Place a scoop and a a little water to get it into the trap. Let it sit for a few hours then HOT water for a few minutes. Works great now. And this was only after 4 years of living full time in the rv and showering once a day (I am solo).
Old 05-11-2021, 12:24 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
Don't use bar soap? Haven't heard that one before.

Bar soap leaves soap scum that builds up over time, especially with harder water.
Old 05-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by senljk View Post
It doesn't look like the grate is removable..it is down in there about 1.5"

Also-are you recommending using liquid soap when showering instead of bar soap? Curious why.

Also IF it is hair that is causing the slow drain, is there a safe product i can also use to clean the drain?

The round plate that is flush with the drain comes off. It is below this plate where hair, etc will collect.

Bar soap is solid at room temperature, and returns to a solid after the water evaporates.... creates a hard scum which accumulates in pipes, tank, everywhere.
Old 05-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynch763 View Post
I use a hair trap over the drain but it still clogs up over time. Then I use a drain snake:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/bestsell...7_3226846011_1

Don’t do this if your RV shower uses a waterless valve similar to this... (many RV’s use a valve like this !)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9596.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	328071
Old 05-13-2021, 12:35 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

IMO pasdad1 is being excessively cautious, but he may have some reason for it. I've used bar soap for decades at home & RV and have yet to clog up a drain pipe with it, and our water is hard. Hepvo valves are claimed to be compatible with household drain cleaners and even industrial acid-based cleaners with up to 10% concentration, so no worries about usng common drain openers. And while mechanical drain tools are to be avoided, sticking one of those hair grabbers down enough to catch the hair on the crossbars probably doesn't count - there is no need to jam it in or through the trap. See https://hepvo.com/installation-maintenance/
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by senljk View Post
I have a slow shower drain. What product can I use to help it?
How about a plunger?
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower