Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #1

Slide out issue

2003 Fleetwood southwind 36e. Just bought it in April 2019. We've taken it camping several times this summer and fall. I've been having a strange reoccurring issue. Once we get to the campsite and try to put the living room slide out, it does not respond. I can hear the relay clicking in the multiplex and still nothing. Of course I'm following the instructions by starting the engine, placing the emergency brake on and hitting the switch.... Nothing. The strange thing is it works when it wants to, like before we leave for a trip or when its parked at the storage lot. I initially thought it was the motor, but of it works here and there, I can't positively say that is the issue. Does anyone know if there is like some sort of "inertia switch"? Even if I use the hydraulic leveling system, it still doesn't work. I'm seriously banging my head on the wall with this problem. The last trip we took we had to leave the slide in (because it didn't work) and try and enjoy being a little closer together. Can anyone help me have consistent use of the living room slide?
Fleetwooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 07:29 AM   #2

When you apply your parking brake the indicator light on the instrument panel must light up for the slide to extend. On my 37C, on occasion the light does not come on when the parking brake is first depressed,requiring the brake pedal to be released and reapplied.

DIY Rear Panhard Rod
exrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:39 AM   #3

Had a similar problem on my 2004 Tiffin Allegro. Press the switch and hear the relay but no movement. Traced the problem to the control board that has the relay and found a loose connector that routes the output of the relay to the motor.
Try -
1. - "wiggling" the connector.
2. - Pull connector and check for corrosion on the contacts.
3. - Try spraying contact cleaner to clean the contacts.
4. - Try adding conductive grease (tiny amount) to the contacts.
Old 11-12-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Any safety switches?
The TV cabinet in our bedroom has a magnetic switch, must be closed B4 I can retract the full wall slide.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #5

I do believe that it luminates when the brake is pressed. I did however find the wire that connects to the e-brake lose once. I ended up crimping it down more securely and the leveling system worked but still no slide.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:16 PM   #6

I'll give that a shot.. of course it's just about winter time here in Colorado, so I'll get on it and let you know.
Old 11-12-2019, 04:19 PM   #7

As far as I know there are no safety switches. According to the schematic that the owners manual shows, it's just 12v power, parking brake, and ground that is located at the switch. The panel is the only thing between the switch and motor.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:45 AM   #8

My control boards were my issue for the same problem as yours.Rather than buy 3 new panels ,I checked them out with a magnifying glass.
There was poor soldering on all the boards that didn't make good connections. I re soldered and all is as it should now.
mike toon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike toon View Post
My control boards were my issue for the same problem as yours.Rather than buy 3 new panels ,I checked them out with a magnifying glass.
There was poor soldering on all the boards that didn't make good connections. I re soldered and all is as it should now.
Mike,
I will pull it out and take a look. It seems that it could cause a intermittent problem.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #10

Had a similar problem and it was the circuit board, had to solder the white plug connector the legs had come lose from the soldered board and weren’t make good connections.
Sand41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #11

Not sure what type of motor drives your slide and if it has brushes, but one possibility could be a bad spot on the motor armature or needs motor brushes. If you can bang on motor while someone tries to move slide is a good check.
Jthigh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide, slide out