Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
BVH

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slide Out Motor Replacement

I own an ‘05 Southwind 32. She’s been great, but recently had the large slide out stop extending about 1/3 out. Slide out would still retract successfully.

It’s at repair shop. They diagnosed that it was the motor, not rails or chain. This was determined by disconnecting the motor, and manually operating the slide out. It worked smoothly as a result.

Thus, motor replacement at $1,100, and another $1,100 for “2hrs diagnosis” and the remainder for remove/replace old/new motor.

I believe the shop charges approx $134/hr labor.

I’ve not performed this repair - but on face value, I’d like to ask if y’all think 8+ labor hours to complete this diagnosis & repair is accurate/fair?

Thanks in advance & safe travels!
BVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2021, 05:26 PM   #2

I replaced my slide out motor myself about three months ago.
I ordered the motor on line and it took me less than an hour.
I guess the shop have to make a profit.
The motor was less than $400.00
PABO05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:58 PM   #3

If you already paid for it then it doesn’t really matter at this point. If it’s working again get out there and enjoy it.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 11:15 PM   #4
BVH

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
If you already paid for it then it doesn’t really matter at this point. If it’s working again get out there and enjoy it.
It has not been paid for.

I’m attempting to gather input from knowledgeable folks who have had direct experience either completing this repair themselves - or have been charged by a shop to complete it. “Before paying” for a potentially excessive labor charge.

Do you fall into either of the above categories?
Old 07-30-2021, 08:55 AM   #5

Seems a bit steep on the diagnosis, but so do most shop bills after the fact...

I just replaced the driver's slide in a 05 Revolution, prices for the motor were anywhere from $399 to $899 for the motor itself (various manufacturers vs exact OE part vs various sources).
I spent more time cleaning up the grenade-ed old motor gear box than putting the new one on - ~2 hrs from getting the tools out to putting them away.

Having said that, my slide motor was easily accessible, the problem was very obvious, didn't take much effort to diagnose, and replacing it came down to 6 bolts and splicing in 2 wires.
FunCyzd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 11:42 AM   #6
BVH

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for the applicable input. My suspicions are being confirmed.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:08 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I have replaced two slide out motors each took about 2 hours. 8 hrs to diagnose and repair seems a bit high to me.
Grandpa Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 11:47 PM   #8
BVH

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks!

Thanks to all taking time to comment & provide input. Armed with your 411 and others, the shop revised/reduced their time billed. Always go with your gut if it just doesn’t seem right.

Safe travels to all!!

Tags
ace, motor, replace, replacement, slide, slide out