Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #1

Smart Wheel Dead Again !

2007 American Tradition 42V

Went to take out the coach for a trip and smart wheel dead again. Fuses check out ok.

As usual, no wipers, washers, cruise etc. Each time I take it in to get it checked / fixed nothing is found. Clock setting is apparently ok.

This is getting ridiculous. Can't plan any trips w/o wipers, washers and horn at least.

Was supposed to take my Class B driving test..............gotta cancel that too, coach won't pass the spot inspection.

Desperate for ANY suggestions, etc.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2018, 08:02 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Is it intermittent? Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. a plug that's bouncing.

Have you called Fleetwood American coach division? They are really good to talk to, and they have ideas I had never thought of whenever I called them.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There is a smart wheel control module down near the base of the steering column somewhere. However, the most common problem with these is the contacts within the steering column that lets the steering wheel rotate but still maintain the connections.

This troubleshooter from VIP Smart Wheels may help:
https://www.vipwheels.com/sites/defa...OUBLESHOOT.pdf
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 06:41 AM   #4

The "wheel decoder" is located under my top entry step.

Its part number is 2562-NN2B-V04. Says its a 2007. I can't find any real information online about this or a replacement. It looks nothing like the VIP SM series controllers. Connector plugs are entirely different.

It does not have a 3amp fuse mounted into the case.

I'm assuming troubleshooting procedures are different and now if I can find a fuse for the decoder....................

Wheel is still dead.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:17 AM   #5

Issue resolved!

Totally removed the decoder from under the step. Thoroughly cleaned the contact pins and sockets with electric contact cleaner. Carefully disassembled the decoder box and cleaned the circuit board. Reassembled the box.

Installed & removed the plugs several times. Before installing the plugs the last time I remounted the decoder box back under the step. THEN I reinstalled the plugs making sure I heard them snap back into their proper positions

Turned on the ignition........................BINGO............. ....smart wheel is back on line and working OK. Air horn even sounds stronger then ever too.

While in that area I pulled and reinstalled all the fuses.

Another day and more learned thanks to input and suggestions from folks on this great site.

Thanks for your assistance and have a great day!!!
Old 06-01-2018, 03:20 PM   #6

Another Smart Wheel Problem

I saw that you folks were talking about smart wheel problems just 2 days ago. Well, we have a problem also! Because of intermittent problems with our smart wheel I looked into the electrical bay under the drivers seat and found that there was a burn area from a electrical lead coming from the Smart Wheel Modular Master Controller SM210 Rev C. I called the manufacture "Vehicle Improvement Products" and found a new SM210 RevC and it is on the way. My problem is where can I find the 3 wiring harnesses that plug in to the Modular? All 3 are 12" long and plug into 3 pigtails in the electrical bay. Because of the burn areas I would like to go new.
ANY ideas would be very helpful.

Happy Camping
Czar Of Poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:35 PM   #7

Anybody ever bypass the smart wheel and provide individual switches for the wipers, washers, horn, cruise control etc?

Spent hours working on this issue. Contacted Spartan and they were great and very fast with literature, etc. Nothing has worked...…….nada.

Have the schematics, etc. Decoder/controller checks out OK per Spartan Troubleshooting guide

Seeking Plan B or C
Old 07-26-2018, 11:02 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
2007 Newmar MADP. I have the same problem. The controller is erratic. It will work all one day or quit when i push the brake pedal in traffic and not come back on. I bought a new controller and it worked about a year. This time it stopped working in the middle of a big rain storm. No wiper quickly became a safty issue. Someone suggested unplugging the cable and reconnecting them. This worked some of the time. The controller is under the drivers seat which is a dry area. This time it stopped working after sitting a week of 100 degree weather and 2/3 of a day of driving. Cant get it to work at all. Been irratic for a year now.
Jimcounts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It sounds like there is a loose connection at the controller. Locate the Smart Wheel module, usually in the electrical bay on driver's side, outside compartment.
Disconnect all of the multi-pin connections, spray with electrical cleaner, and reconnect the pin connectors. Make sure that all of them seat properly with a noticeable click. Some of them are rather cheesy, but they all have to have good connections to work.

Sorry, missed that the controller is under the seat. The rest applies.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote