Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 08:01 AM   #1

Smell Inside

Hi Guys. We have a Bounder 35K that we love. About a week ago, we started smelling a sewer smell inside. We dump every 4-5 days, use the flush when we're done, add 3-4 gallons of water to the tank plus the tablet to help break down the solids. There is no smell outside, no leaks underneath, the compartment where the sewer line is has no smell, the bathrooms don't smell and the sinks don't smell but there is definitely an odor in the bedroom and when you open the front door! Help!! This has me totally confused!

Also we've been sitting in the same spot for about 2 months and haven't had this problem before. Is there something I'm not doing or haven't done? I really appreciate your help!
ellis1golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #2

Have you checked to see if your roof vents are clear?
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:22 AM   #3

There should be an air admittance valve under one the sinks if not both kitchen and bathroom. It screws into place. It likely just needs to be replaced. Most hardware stores carry them. I keep a few extra on hand. When that valve goes bad, your rig will begin to smell like grey or blank tank since the pipes cant vent through the roof when this happens.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:35 PM   #4

Smell Inside

It’s not a sulfur smell, boiling batteries. Some people have troubles with there grey tank stinking, some try a cup of dawn and cup of fabric softener the add water.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
Have you checked to see if your roof vents are clear?
Ill check that when it stops raining. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:49 PM   #6

I'll check that when it stops raining. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by raineman View Post
There should be an air admittance valve under one the sinks if not both kitchen and bathroom. It screws into place. It likely just needs to be replaced. Most hardware stores carry them. I keep a few extra on hand. When that valve goes bad, your rig will begin to smell like grey or blank tank since the pipes cant vent through the roof when this happens.

Is it possible to show a picture of what I'm supposed to look for? The only thing I see is black pipes??? Thanks so much for your help!

Is it the pipe that ends without being attached at the top?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
It’s not a sulfur smell, boiling batteries. Some people have troubles with there grey tank stinking, some try a cup of dawn and cup of fabric softener the add water.

It's not a sulfur smell...it's like a black tank smell. I'll try the dawn and fabric softener. Thanks for your help!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #9

Here is what it looks like
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Plumbe...15788633&psc=1

I will look for more pics to post
Old 07-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #10

Here is what it looks like installed
https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+a...pMawv7G1vsJbM:
Old 07-17-2018, 05:14 PM   #11
ctk

Winnebago Owners Club
We had that smell and tried everything - actually turned out to be the batteries so they do not always smell of sulfur
ctk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:50 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk View Post
We had that smell and tried everything - actually turned out to be the batteries so they do not always smell of sulfur
Yep. Need to make sure the batteries aren't boiling.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:22 PM   #13

This may sound unusual, but we had the same problem and the smell was in the bedroom. It turned out that we had a circuit breaker box that had a breaker that went bad. It ran one of the air conditioners and was warm to the touch when the air was on. I replaced the breaker and the smell was gone.
Hoosier14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:30 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
For the black tank try HappyCamper, good stuff. For the grey try dawn and calgon, just poor it down the sink.
Another thought you said you have been setting for a couple months. Do you keep your black tank closed? You should. Only open to dump when needed probally at least half full. Also If at full hookup site you may be getting odor from the Resort lines. Try making a trap out of your drain hose I have had the odor from the campground sewer lines venting odor into our camper thus stink. Hope it helps

Tags
smell