Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2020, 11:50 AM   #1

Smoke smell from the fires

We spent about a month in Oregon in September during the fires. Kept the windows closed and AC on to keep the smoke out. But the coach smells like it’s been through a forest fire. Does anyone have any idea how to eliminate this odor?
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2020, 09:56 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Not much help but I had a friend who owned an auto detail shop. He had an ozone device that he would plug into cars that were smoked in. It really worked but I don't know the technology and how it would work in a larger vehicle like a rv. Might be worth looking into
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:00 AM   #3

Ozone generator is the best option, or fry some bacon in the coach.
Old 10-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Get yourself a Bulldog and feed him some broccoli
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
Get yourself a Bulldog and feed him some broccoli
and unplug the LP/explosive gas detector.

Seriously, buy a bottle of Odo-Ban and use it in the proper solution in a spray bottle on all fabrics. The original Odo-Ban was used some years ago by crime-scene clean-up crews to destroy odors of human remains.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:51 AM   #6

You can go to a rental place (equipment type) and rent an Ozone Generator. Use that as recommended in it's booklet (a few hours run time depending on sq ft).

That should remove it. Note that too much ozone for too long will damage rubbers.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #7

Your RV has been through a forest fire! I think the ozone generator is probably the only sure way and that is going to take a lot of it and time. You will probably need to leave the RV to the generator for several days since you soaked the entire RV in smoke.
SKP Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 02:54 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My son bought a used full size F350. Previous owner was a smoker. We bought a couple cans of Ozium from an auto parts store and smell was gone in a week or so.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 06:44 AM   #9

We had an rental unit that the tenant had cats in and wasn't a very clean person, to put it mildly. I tried all the usual chemicals and cleaners, even ripped up all the flooring. Still stunk. I looked around for ozone generators. A janitorial supply house had the best deal on rentals. 2 days of running teh generators and you'd never known there was a problem.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:40 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My RV was parked in the vicinity of a storage shed that caught fire and it smelled like a campfire in there immediately after. Since it's plugged in and I know the fantastic fan auto rain detect shutoff works I just left some windows cracked and the vent fan running. After a couple weeks the smell had decreased a lot and a few months later was undetectable. I'm sure ozone would speed that process up but just passing along what was pretty objectionable to start with has resolved itself over time. Contrast that to the mouse repellent sacks the PO had stashed everywhere, I can still smell a hint of those even years later.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #11

Thanks for all of your suggestions. We’re probably going to try all of them., with the exception of feeding the dog broccoli. It’s bad in there, so one step at a time and I’m encouraged by your success stories, now I have some hope. Thanks again
Old 12-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #12

So, it’s been 2 months since we returned home. I have washed the surfaces inside 2-3 times and have left the vents open 24-7, windows open most of the day. Washed all of the soft items, some twice. Last week, after not opening the coach for a couple weeks, I went back in and the smell was gone. So Saturday I started putting the soft stuff back in. It was a little warm so I turned on the AC. The smell came back.

Is there something in the unit on the roof that could be contaminated? What about the vent that runs the length of the coach inside? Anyway to clean those out?

Again, appreciate any help
Old 12-03-2020, 08:03 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
You may need to clean or replace the Air Conditioner filter(s). The ones that you access from inside the Coach.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:05 AM   #14

R&R the A/Cs foam filters on the inside of house. Remove the covers, you'll find two foam filters there. Wash or replace. The outside and the inside are isolated from each other so nothing needs be done up on the roof.

If you have a basement heatpump for AC, there's always a filter inside the house. Replace that. Mine is installed inside of the bed frame and sucks air from the bedroom.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, odor, smell