Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 PM   #1

Solar charger

I think at least one part of the solar charging system has failed. I believe the little light on the front air conditioner is part of the failure, there is no continuity thru it and maybe the solar charger itself but haven't had time to check it out yet. Does anyone have knowledge of what systems that charge passes thru on it's way to the battery? I am trying to figure out if there is something else that can fail after the little light. According to the schematic I have from FW it's wired thru the harness under the dash.

Thanks,
Stan
08 38P W24
Bounder
sehunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #2

On our 2003 Expedition the little red light is an LED and only lights when the solar panel is supplying power. There is a fuse panel in our coach under the center of the dash behind a pop out door, and if I remember correctly there is a 3 amp fuse there for the solar panel system. Don't know if yours is the same, but this may give you some ideas.

Jim.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:18 PM   #3

Jim,
Thanks, I'll look for a small fuse like that tomorrow I have 2 or 3 12 volt fuse boxes.

Stan
Old 04-08-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Check the connection from the solor panel to your light [battery] on the roof, it's a plug in connection that may need cleaning. This has been the issue on others. Bear in mind it will only help maintain the battery and will only work on bright sunny days, but check your connections. Good luck and safe travels.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:32 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Anyone have the schematic or wiring diaghram?

I have checked my fuse as well and the wiring connection I found on the roof and inside the airconditioner to the red led light. No luck. I did not get a reading using my multitool/voltmeter. Should I have gotten a reading during bright day light conditions? I asked the previous owner about this system and to his knowledge he never saw the red led light up.

I would like to have this system working. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Alan & Terry
AlanTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
I have checked my fuse as well and the wiring connection I found on the roof and inside the airconditioner to the red led light. No luck. I did not get a reading using my multitool/voltmeter. Should I have gotten a reading during bright day light conditions? I asked the previous owner about this system and to his knowledge he never saw the red led light up.

I would like to have this system working. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Alan & Terry
I called Fleetwood Customer Service and they emailed the schematics for our Bounder to me. (800) 322-8216
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #7

Stan,

There may be a diode in the circuit, don't know for sure. If I were worried about it, you should be able to go to the plug on the roof and check for voltage at the panel. I think on a bright day it shows around 16 volts. If no voltage there, the panel is bad.

Jim

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
I know our MHs are years apart but I was having the same issue. The red LED was mounted on the A/C vent housing inside the coach and was almost assuredly a factory install. I had someone test the wiring harness that was connect to the LED...nothing. We then checked the fuse box in the engine compartment and there was a 5A fuse marked on the board for the solar charger. It was blown. Replaced it (just this last week) and it's been working ever since.

Good luck.
ZMasterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 PM   #9

Hey guys,
Thanks for all the replys. I solved my problem, I replaced the factory solar with a 15 watt solar panel and charge regulator. Don't know what the issue was but now I can keep my 4 6v batteries charged while in storage without running the gen every week.

Stan
Old 04-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I called Fleetwood Customer Service and they emailed the schematics for our Bounder to me. (800) 322-8216
Thanks I will call them tommorrow.

Alan & Terry
Old 04-26-2012, 05:46 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMasterFish View Post
I know our MHs are years apart but I was having the same issue. The red LED was mounted on the A/C vent housing inside the coach and was almost assuredly a factory install. I had someone test the wiring harness that was connect to the LED...nothing. We then checked the fuse box in the engine compartment and there was a 5A fuse marked on the board for the solar charger. It was blown. Replaced it (just this last week) and it's been working ever since.

Good luck.
Mine has a 3A fuse and it was OK. This fuse in the engine compartment on the firewall with several other in a fuse box on the drivers side.
Are there any other places for the solar pannel fuses to hide?

Alan & Terry
Old 04-27-2012, 05:48 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Alan...I doubt it. The one other place we checked for a fuse was the compartment with the circuit breakers in it. There were some fuses behind the panel there but that's for stuff like a/c, microwave, etc...

You may need to get a schematic like others have done or take it in to a service garage and have someone look at it like I did. It took us about 10 minutes to figure it out. We never did make it up to the roof.

Good luck.
ZMasterFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
SarahW, I tried to contact fleetwood customer service and could not speak to anyone. Is there a way to email me the schematics yougot from Fleetwood. they might be the same solar pannel.

Thanks
Alan & Terrry
Old 04-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanTerry View Post
SarahW, I tried to contact fleetwood customer service and could not speak to anyone. Is there a way to email me the schematics yougot from Fleetwood. they might be the same solar pannel.
Thanks
Alan & Terrry
I'm not sure that the 2012 Bounder schematics will do you any good, but if you PM me your email address I'll forward them to you. Did you call Fleetwood today? They are closed on the weekend.

Tags
solar