Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 04:49 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
Thanks. I may upgrade with a larger panel, but it will have to be of a size that will mound on top for the AC cover and still allow the fasteners to be removed. I don't have any plans to mount panels on the roof. Chuck
That should be no problem, but certainly not a game stopper. When I installed my 25w panel, I just installed on the roof next to the A/C unit. The kit had everything I needed except the roof sealant. A tube of Dicor self leveling sealant is all I needed. It will be leak proof long after I'm dead :-)
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 05:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Chuck, what voltage did the original produce? You're looking at a voltage range for charging a battery, with 5 watts, probably anything between 12-14v is probably acceptable, up to a no-load voltage of 16v. Again, tons of small panels setup for 12v batteries.

The only other thing that i'd look for is if you park it in shade, you may want a diode put in the circuit to prevent possible current leak...
Thanks. I've been installing solar panels on boats for decades. In this case I was simply looking to replace what was there. Looks like it isn't going to happen so it's time to redesign. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H 2002 Revolution View Post
Attachment 103070

This is the fleetwood replacement panel mounted to original rack.
Wow Mike that is a lot smaller than the original 1999 version.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:47 PM   #18

Does the red LED on the AC vent work for anyone? I have the original panel on top of my AC unit and its producing voltage but I can't tell if it actually charges the batteries or not.
Johnp292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:00 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpgb View Post
Wow Mike that is a lot smaller than the original 1999 version.

Yes it is. Too small!
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp292 View Post
Does the red LED on the AC vent work for anyone? I have the original panel on top of my AC unit and its producing voltage but I can't tell if it actually charges the batteries or not.

My solar charging light works but is part of my monitor panel
Old 08-13-2015, 05:40 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnp292 View Post
Mine still works on my Bounder. However, the only time it will light is when: 1. The engine is not running. 2: the charger is not charging them. 3. The battery voltage is something less than 12.5v. In other words, the rig is stored with no power source.

Is some rigs with the "salesman switch" engaged, this does not shut off the safety features. IE, there is still a power draw to monitor, smoke, propane and C02. In which case a 25w panel may still not be enough. For all intent and purposes, the factory solar panel is a useless sales point only.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #22

Harbor Freight has some options which may suit your needs. I actually did mine with one of their 15 watt panels. Got a small upgrade and didn't break the bank.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt...nel-96418.html
Old 10-28-2015, 12:59 PM   #23

I am curious if anyone knows how this mini panel is wired? House or chassis battery? To the BCC?
Old 10-28-2015, 01:24 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I disconnected all of my battery's and still couldn't get power to show up on volt meter at house or chassis battery. Unless the solenoids that control battery switches disengage when no power is present is why I couldn't get any readings but the red light was on on ac vent?
genesimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 10:40 PM   #25

Send a message via AIM to Conchasjim Send a message via Yahoo to Conchasjim
The solar panel connects to the bcc and charges the house batteries. I replaced mine with a 15 watt panel from Harbor Frieght.
Conchasjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerguy View Post
I am curious if anyone knows how this mini panel is wired? House or chassis battery? To the BCC?
I'm not sure the '16 Bounder uses the RV-CP BCC, or if they use the Intellitec BCC, but both BCCs were wired the same in the past.

The small solar panel is wired to the BCC on connector PC-4 pin-3, through a 3amp fuse (F18) on the circuit board to the house batteries.

The charging ability of this small panel is, most likely, so minute that it can't even keep up with the normal "phantom" drains on the house systems of today.

Since it is wired directly to the battery output, (within the BCC and without a solar controller), it would be extremely difficult to measure it's output and to asses just how much help it affords in maintaining the house battery charge.

It might be possible to measure the output voltage of the panel by removing F18 and measuring the difference between the input to the fuse holder (from the panel) and the house battery voltage present at the other end of the fuse holder.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:28 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchasjim View Post
The solar panel connects to the bcc and charges the house batteries. I replaced mine with a 15 watt panel from Harbor Frieght.

Is the 15 watt enough to maintain the battery charge when in storage? My 5 watt does not provide enough to make up for the loss even with nothing on.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:03 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Bought mine on ebay and tied it in to existing wiring. Size was almost the same with minor mounting modifications. You should have a small red LED mounted on the AC grill inside your coach to show you that the Solar panel is working.

Tags
air conditioner, panel, solar