Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #1

Solar Panel On Air Conditioner

I am in search of a source to replace the 5 watt solar panel that is on top of one of my Coleman air conditioners. I would like to find one that I can just connect to the current wiring and not have to install anything new. What have others used if your panel died? I know there are 5 watt panels out there, I'm looking for one that other owners have actually used. Thanks. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
A 5W panel is useless for anything other than storing your rig in a very sunny state... and that would be iffy.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:39 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
A 5W panel is useless for anything other than storing your rig in a very sunny state... and that would be iffy.
Thanks. Florida is known as the sunshine state. Do you have any recommendations on where to find one? Chuck
Old 08-11-2015, 02:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
I am in search of a source to replace the 5 watt solar panel that is on top of one of my Coleman air conditioners. I would like to find one that I can just connect to the current wiring and not have to install anything new. What have others used if your panel died? I know there are 5 watt panels out there, I'm looking for one that other owners have actually used. Thanks. Chuck
I'm thinking of doing the same. Be watching this thread.

BTW~ Did yours stop working?
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:45 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Chuck you can use any 5 watt panel that physically fits and produces output in the 11-14 volt range. Lots on Ebay/Amazon.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesdx1 View Post
I'm thinking of doing the same. Be watching this thread.

BTW~ Did yours stop working?
Yes it did stop working because it simply disintegrated. I'm hoping to install a replacement without reinventing the wheel. Once again, I was hoping someone has already dealt with this and has a suggestion. Chuck
Old 08-11-2015, 04:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
Chuck you can use any 5 watt panel that physically fits and produces output in the 11-14 volt range. Lots on Ebay/Amazon.
The problem with even a current 5 watt panel is that it produces a higher voltage than the original. I would prefer not to have to start from scratch, but that may be my choice. Chuck
Old 08-11-2015, 05:26 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have one on my Bounder. I am not sure if it even works.

I took it off the other day to clean the AC.

Is it work replacing?
Old 08-11-2015, 05:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfpgb View Post
I have one on my Bounder. I am not sure if it even works.

I took it off the other day to clean the AC.

Is it work replacing?
Of course that's each individuals decision. Here in Florida, with lots of sunshine when the monsoon rains move on, the RV is sometimes sitting and not being used with no power hook up. So it's nice for us to have even the small panel trickle charging the battery until we either use it or get it plugged in. Chuck
Old 08-11-2015, 05:58 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks. Florida is known as the sunshine state. Do you have any recommendations on where to find one? Chuck
Chuck, I haven't fooled with one of these in quite some time. I know I just searched online and found a 25W panel. Living in Mich that was still useless. If you're not comfortable online, check with camping world or a local RV dealer/shop. You can go up to a 30w panel without using a charge controller (meaning you don't have to make any alterations). Other than making some new holes.

Assuming you store your rig for several months at a time and you have no electrical sourse to maintain the batteries, then I would not depend on a 5w panel, even in Fl.

For 2-3 months storage, I would just remove them and keep on a trickle charger.... unless a periodic check indicated a 12.6+ voltage.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:43 AM   #11

I replaced mine. Bought from fleetwood. I installed in same location with some minor modifications to mount as it's physically a different size. It is pretty much useless even in CA sun. I'd recommend getting more wattage. Mine will not maintain fully charged batteries under no load. Not certain the max cap of the existing controller but I see someone claims a 25w is ok. I can send u a pic if u want to see mine.
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H 2002 Revolution View Post
I replaced mine. Bought from fleetwood. I installed in same location with some minor modifications to mount as it's physically a different size. It is pretty much useless even in CA sun. I'd recommend getting more wattage. Mine will not maintain fully charged batteries under no load. Not certain the max cap of the existing controller but I see someone claims a 25w is ok. I can send u a pic if u want to see mine.
Thanks. I may upgrade with a larger panel, but it will have to be of a size that will mound on top for the AC cover and still allow the fasteners to be removed. I don't have any plans to mount panels on the roof. Chuck
Old 08-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The problem with even a current 5 watt panel is that it produces a higher voltage than the original. I would prefer not to have to start from scratch, but that may be my choice. Chuck
Chuck, what voltage did the original produce? You're looking at a voltage range for charging a battery, with 5 watts, probably anything between 12-14v is probably acceptable, up to a no-load voltage of 16v. Again, tons of small panels setup for 12v batteries.

The only other thing that i'd look for is if you park it in shade, you may want a diode put in the circuit to prevent possible current leak...
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #14

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439417612.003764.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	103070

This is the fleetwood replacement panel mounted to original rack.
Mike H 2002 Revolution is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, panel, solar