Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2011, 09:44 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Thumbs up O/D...??

to OKGC....That's a GREAT QUESTION...?? Been thinking the same thing too...I was NOT using the 'O/D OFF' button on the shifter. i was using CC as much as possible and found I could accelerate (on the gas) just before a hill-incline, leaving CC on, and avoid that SUDDEN DOWNSHIFT in CC....then let up on the gas at hill top and back to CC @ 58mph...
I was also thinking of going on a highway test drive and see "If & Where" the O/D does come on/in...HHhmmmmm!
Thanks, I will do that this weekend! Just that 2500-2600 RPM weems a little high to me, going @ 57-58 mph...Thanx!!
geno-heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #16
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno-heidi View Post
to OKGC....
I was also thinking of going on a highway test drive and see "If & Where" the O/D does come on/in...HHhmmmmm!
Thanks, I will do that this weekend! Just that 2500-2600 RPM weems a little high to me, going @ 57-58 mph...Thanx!!
That OD should come in under low load at anywhere from 20-22mph up.

25-2600 rpm sounds like no OD as I would expect with a 4.10 final ratio to be 18-1900@60-62mph, and with a 4.30, 22-2300rpm. The differential should have a tag on it or the data label for the chassis should have a letter
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
O/D & RPM's

Continued Thanks! I will note my RPM's and speeds tomorrow, for sure...
Where will I find the info for my "rear end diff." and gear ratio??
Thanx!
Old 09-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #18

Just for comparison, and my 2 pennys. My '99 Challenger with the V10 Ford, pulling a 4000 lb. car on a dolly, consistantly did 8.2 on every trip we took, from MI-AZ. I usually ran it from 60-65 mph. The comment about whether the transmission, at 55-58 mph ever made it into overdrive is a valid question, as I don't think it would.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #19
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno-heidi View Post
Continued Thanks! I will note my RPM's and speeds tomorrow, for sure...
Where will I find the info for my "rear end diff." and gear ratio??
Thanx!
There are two places provided by Ford. A tag on the differential center or axle tube section. The other is a data plate that on a car, pick up or cab/chassis are on a door jam. On just a bare chassis supplied to the RV manufacturer, it is probably under the hood/engine compartment and will have the chassis serial number(VIN), transmission code, differential code as well as date of manufacture. Also the VIN should tell you, but that will mean a trip to you local Ford dealer - which might be a further step towards frustration. Take a look here with the VIN and you might get lucky http://www.ford-trucks.com/vin-decoder/index.php
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:17 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Cool

Boy, there are a lot of variables involved with something like this. We just got back from FL visiting our son and came up I-75. I try to run 58 - 60 and very seldom use CC. I was towing a Prius on tow dolly. Our is a new unit with less than 3200 miles on it yet. We got 7.1 mpg for the trip. Now we were not loaded very heavy as we do not have everything put into the new MH. I also never run AC on Max Air which I am told helps the engine. I shift out of Tow Haul when I get up to about 40 mph and only use it on long steep down hills like around Chatanooga, TN. Ours is the 22,000 lb chassis with 22.5 in wheels. Our old 06 was a 20,500 chassis and 19.5 in wheels and it got better mileage by .6 mpg over the length of time we had it. As this gets more broke in will mileage improve, who knows. Even the time of day you travel the same route can effect you mpg heat, humidity, wind strength and direction, tire inflation, even the brand of fuel used. Lots to think about. It is best in my thinking, to just do the best you can and not worry about it. If I was worried I would not drive the MH, I would drive a car, motel it, and eat out which would cost more and not be near as enjoyable.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 02:45 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Talking Ultra gauge info

THANKS GOLD!! (Dean....)
You post reply very helpful on same route from GA. I just rec'd my new Ultra Gauge (see web site, same name...), less money than S.Gauge...and when I hooked it up to OBD Port, I learned a WHOLE BUNCH! I took a leisurely 28 mile I275 trip from my house (less than 2 miles away) and did I even get good news and interesting info!

On the road, @ 57-58 MPH and running @ 2300-2400 rpm, I am getting high 7's to 8.5-9.5 no problem on the flats and low risers....once the CC downshifts, whoa....MPG goes to 4.2-5.4.

The biggy was my regular 'car foot', "getting on" the xway and in local trafiic from lights and stops! Wow, 1.8-2.9 mostly before I ADJUSTED THE FOOT! I think that's where my mpg dropped on the trip and we had a serious headwind too. When I tested w U.Gauge running, my mpg/rpm were decent!

And you are right about the "journey & method"...even if I avg. only 6 mpg (which I now know I'm not!!), and wishing for 8, that's only 2 miles less per gallon! On a 300 mile run, using 50 gals, that's only a 100 mi loss, or @ 15 gals x $4 bucks....$60 is a bargain to travel in complete comfort, convenience, safety (WE'RE THE PILOTS! HA-HA), AND THE VIEWS!! Heck, I quit smokin' 14 years ago and that's butt money for only 2 weeks (6 days in NYC! lol)!

I was really more concerned we might have an undiagnosed problem, now with the Gauge, I see all is well. Just needed a major FOOT adjustment/alignment! LOL

Thnx.....geno
Old 10-02-2011, 02:55 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
0-60

My new slogan: " 0 to 60 in Ten Minutes "

I saw this on a RV at Georgia Samboree....
Old 10-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tow haul

I have read some of you switch in and out of tow haul (i'm assuming your just pushing the button), so that means it doesn't hurt the trans by pushing the button while traveling down the road? I agree I like using the feature when towing up or down hills, but would like to switch off, but thought it had to be stopped. 2008 Bounder V-10
ToddGaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, southwind, v10