Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2022, 06:05 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Southwind 36R Right Rear Jack slowly retracts - just sitting!

2003 Southwind 36R - If I leave my rig jacks (Power Gear hydraulic, 500456 controller) down for a couple weeks the right rear jack slowly retracts all the way. The jack is the single external spring model. The system works normally (up/down/lift) under power. I do not see any leaks or other issues. Any help is appreciated.
GunnerAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2022, 08:13 PM   #2

The jacks are single action hydraulic cylinders. IOW they extend by hydraulic pressure but retract by returning the fluid through the pump. You probably have a bad valve on your pump that allows the fluid to leak back into the reservoir.
Old 07-20-2022, 08:13 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olyteddy View Post
The jacks are single action hydraulic cylinders. IOW they extend by hydraulic pressure but retract by returning the fluid through the pump. You probably have a bad valve on your pump that allows the fluid to leak back into the reservoir.
Thanks, I was thinking the same. Any chance a weak solenoid could be the issue?
Old 07-20-2022, 09:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerAZ View Post
Thanks, I was thinking the same. Any chance a weak solenoid could be the issue?
Could be but the solenoid pulls the valve open. Something obstructing the return of the solenoid maybe. Mine is "conveniently" located behind the passenger front wheel well. They do have a pretty good manual though:
https://support.lci1.com/documents/l...00535-82-l0051
Old 07-24-2022, 07:31 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olyteddy View Post
Could be but the solenoid pulls the valve open. Something obstructing the return of the solenoid maybe. Mine is "conveniently" located behind the passenger front wheel well. They do have a pretty good manual though:
https://support.lci1.com/documents/l...00535-82-l0051
Thanks for the explanation on how the solenoid actually works, I have had trouble finding that info. Thanks for the manual - fortunately I have found the Lippert support page, and it has a lot of great info.

Lippert had the solenoid, 10 days to get after order. The Power Gear Solenoid part number 500099 is now Lippert Part; "lippert solenoid coil valve rep #359432" ( $370 BUCKS), $600 at La Mesa here in Tucson. I hope to get and install it next week - more to follow!
Old 07-25-2022, 05:20 PM   #6

I may be late with this post, but in the center of the solenoid is an opening that you can manually open the valve to release the valve and let the oil back into the tank. This is for emergency purposes in case a solenoid fails and you need to get the jack up to travel.
That valve may be slightly loose and leaking oil. They are either an allen screw or flat screwdriver screw. Memory thinks you turn it clockwise to open valve and counter clockwise to close valve. I would try that before buying a new one.
Old 07-25-2022, 10:29 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
I may be late with this post, but in the center of the solenoid is an opening that you can manually open the valve to release the valve and let the oil back into the tank. This is for emergency purposes in case a solenoid fails and you need to get the jack up to travel.
That valve may be slightly loose and leaking oil. They are either an allen screw or flat screwdriver screw. Memory thinks you turn it clockwise to open valve and counter clockwise to close valve. I would try that before buying a new one.
Thanks, but I do not believe the 2003 valves have the release you mention (See the photo) unless they are under the cap on the end?

(top is to the left in the picture - I couldn't figure out how to rotate the image 90 right)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220719_190541.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	371981  

Tags
rear, southwind, wind