Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

Spare wheel and tire

I am a recent buyer of a used 2001 Southwind 32V and I have been trying to figure it all out. Today I realized that I have a device for raising and lowering a spare tire and wheel but there isn't one there. Should this m/h have come with a spare or was it an option? Sure would like to know so I can question the seller. Thanks for your help.

Ray
Socaltoolguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Ray, I saw your question and looked up the Nada specs on a 2001 Southwind 32V and it shows the spare and carrier as being options and not standard equipment. That still doesn't tell you if it actually came with the spare or not. My guess is that all the frames were made with the carrier by the chassis manufacturer and then Southwind either included the spare or not depending on how it was ordered. Good luck!
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #3

Thanks Steve, I sort of figured that it was an option although I can't imagine anyone not carrying a spare. I'm going to call the guy we bought from and see if he might have one just lying around. If not, well I just took 6 decent looking tires off and I'm sure I can find a wheel. Afterall, it's just going to ride under there until it's needed. It wouldn't have to carry us far, I'm sure. Oh well, whatayagonnado?

Ray
Old 08-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #4

Hey Easyrider, I think I sent you a PM. Did you get it? Either yesterday or the day before.

Ray
Old 08-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Find the brochure for the coach and see what it says.

My 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow came with a spare tire and wheel as standard equipment if Ford chassis, but not if Workhorse chassis.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:53 PM   #6

Thanks Vsheetz, I did pull up the brochure and even printed it for future use. There is nothing in it on whether a spare was available as an option or std. Doesn't even mention a spare. But thanks anyway,

Ray
Old 08-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't think I ever got your last message Ray. We've been traveling since Thursday and we just got into some WIFI late Friday evening. I don't think I ever heard if you had to go with a drop receiver and if so how much of drop did you need? Last I heard your toad was still in the shop but almost complete. Have you gotten it back and tried it yet? Steve
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #8

Well, I checked on the PM and it shows that it was sent so you should have it. Anyway, I picked up the whole kit and kaboodle yesterday. They did a fantastic job. It rides so nice now with the new tires. The towbar/brake combo is much bigger than I had imagined it to be. Also, it won't store on the back of the m/h like I had hoped. I took it off and stowed it in the right rear compartment. As for the dropped receiver, I had to go with a 10" drop. There was a 12" difference between the m/h and the Scion. It is going to work out great. They had never installed or even heard of the ReadyBrute so that was a new experience for them. I think it is all hooked up right. There is now a control panel with switch for the Remco and a LED for the ReadyBrake. Anyway, long story short, it is done and I'm happy so far. Except for the damage to my wallet.

Ray
Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoolguy View Post
I am a recent buyer of a used 2001 Southwind 32V and I have been trying to figure it all out. Today I realized that I have a device for raising and lowering a spare tire and wheel but there isn't one there. Should this m/h have come with a spare or was it an option? Sure would like to know so I can question the seller. Thanks for your help.
Ray
Socaltoolguy
Since you apparently had the opportunity to look at, and inspect, your 12 year old motor home before you bought it and took it home, (aka: excepted it), I doubt that the seller will GIVE you a spare......(in fact IMO, under those circumstances, I don't think he owes you a spare).
However, if he still has it he may be willing to SELL it.
Mel
'96 Safari,
with a spare tire, (no wheel), in a basement compartment.
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel stuplich View Post
Socaltoolguy
Since you apparently had the opportunity to look at, and inspect, your 12 year old motor home before you bought it and took it home, (aka: excepted it), I doubt that the seller will GIVE you a spare......(in fact IMO, under those circumstances, I don't think he owes you a spare).
However, if he still has it he may be willing to SELL it.
Mel
'96 Safari,
with a spare tire, (no wheel), in a basement compartment.
Hi Mel,and thanks for your input. You would have to understand the whole situation but I agree with what you say. Anyway, I will check with him and see if he happens to have a wheel and tire that will fit my rig. I will hint around that maybe he took it off and forgot to put it back. It's that kind of a relationship. We get along quite well. If I have to buy it so be it.

Ray
Old 08-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting. I have an 06 and it does have the spare; however, the spare has never been on the road and I have replaced the six on the road once and never thought about using the spare. Would you really want to use a 13 year old tire? The 01 32VS was probably made in 2000.
Old 08-12-2013, 04:12 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky 2 View Post
Interesting. I have an 06 and it does have the spare; however, the spare has never been on the road and I have replaced the six on the road once and never thought about using the spare. Would you really want to use a 13 year old tire? The 01 32VS was probably made in 2000.
I have been motorhoming since 1974. I have had five different motorhomes. All of them were used. I have used the spare on most of them.The spare on my 98 Pace is fifteen years old. I would not hesitate to use it. It is new and never been used. I keep it aired up and it stays in the basement, dry and clean. I use spares to get to a tire dealer and then it comes off and goes back in the basement.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:14 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To each his own. My replacement tires were a different brand and tread pattern and I just did not need to use the spare. Yes, I would have used the spare to get to a tire store if I had needed to. The spare on the 32vs is mounted under the receiver of the tow hitch and I am not sure I could even get it out...that is job for Coach Net or Good Sam.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:18 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky 2 View Post
To each his own. My replacement tires were a different brand and tread pattern and I just did not need to use the spare. Yes, I would have used the spare to get to a tire store if I had needed to. The spare on the 32vs is mounted under the receiver of the tow hitch and I am not sure I could even get it out...that is job for Coach Net or Good Sam.
I do not normally have Good Sam road service. I purchased it three times. Each time I went out west. You can be a long, long way from service out there. I have saved almost four thousand dollars by not having Good Sam every year. I have had four blowouts and one tread seperation in that time.
five tire changes with a savings of four thousand dollars is a good deal in my mind. As you said to each his own.