Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Fleetwood Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2021, 07:16 PM   #1

Squeak is driving me crazy

I have a 2015 Excursion, 33' pusher with 21,000 miles. It has developed a road vibration generated loud, rapid squeak that seems to be coming from just below the passengers feet.
I've checked the generator and generator mount, cargo box mounts and also the AC condenser fan and all seem to be tight and not squeaking.
It takes about 15 minutes (15 miles) into a run before the squeaking starts. And get this: at speed (50 - 65 MPH) a gentle right curve (bus leans left) and the squeaking stops. Straight or left curve and the chatter remains. The bumpier the road the louder, however on what seems to be a relatively smooth road it's still making noise.
It's not a wheel bearing. Somehow I'm suspect of the front sway bar. Could the rubber mounts that hold it to the frame possibly have age hardened and after a few minutes of getting friction warmed, start squeaking?
Farmer Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2021, 07:47 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lub one thing at a time until you find it.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
Lub one thing at a time until you find it.
This is the easiest way, just takes a while.

Yes it could be a bushing, sway bar, shock, control arm ect.
Duster73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:16 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I would be looking at the shock mount ad their bushing. Check the sway bar where it bolts to the frame with a "U" clamp. Lastly, check all the welds on the front end, looking for evidence of a broken weld or crack. There would typically be a line of rust.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #5

If I expressed that to my wife, she'd tell me it would be a short drive.
MtCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 04:54 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had a high pitched squeal coming from the generator area during certain driving conditions , it turned out to be the grey flexible conduit which contain the 120V wires contacting some urethane foam which was filling the end of a frame tube.

A bit of fabric tape to cover the foam and the noise went away.
GypsyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 05:11 AM   #7

It was the step cover on ours. I removed it, greased the rails, and reinstalled it. All quiet on the passenger side front!
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:24 PM   #8

Check the coach frame (not the chassis) for a broken weld between an upright and the lower horizontal rail in the right front wheel well. I had a break there a long time ago, and the guys at Redlands RV found it by one guy jumping on the steps and another listening and looking.
wilanddij44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 02:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I would be looking at the shock mount ad their bushing. Check the sway bar where it bolts to the frame with a "U" clamp. Lastly, check all the welds on the front end, looking for evidence of a broken weld or crack. There would typically be a line of rust.
My Allegro did this. It was a failed weld of a coach body strut at the Workhorse frame, somewhat close to the passenger side engine mount.
Old 07-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #10

Remove the trim strip that spans the center of the dash side to side , back out one of the 20 or so self tapping screws and buy replacements 1/2” longer. The factory screws are too short to screw into the square tubing frame dash support. It’s best to pre-drill the holes into the frame prior to installing the new screws. You’ll find the factory screws never entered the frame. This will fix your loose dash issues and squeaks. This is a known fix.
ScopeGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 05:15 PM   #11

I have the same coach. 2013 33A
Does it sound like Styrofoam rubbing and squeaking?
If so, I found the solution. It was driving me crazy until I figured it out.
There is a aluminum channel with a trim strip that runs all the way across the dash. The screws that they used at the factory were not long enough on the passenger side and come loose. I replaced them with some longer better screws and solved the squeaking problem. they still for some reason need to be retightened every year or so.
Hope this helps.
F29DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:08 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sounds to me like the same thing I'm constantly dealing with. It may be the the screws that hold the passenger dash top have come loose and it's squeaking as it bounces on the frame. Ive tried glueing the screws in and using fasteners that are supposed to lock it in but everything eventually works it's way out. Wonder if there is a way to take the entire top off and put foam or rubber down first without taking the entire dash apart.
mscottcody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 07:09 PM   #13

mscottcody
The longer screws have worked well for me. didn't have to tare apart the dash.
F29DCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 07:58 PM   #14

Squeak update

Thank you for all the good advice. I started by installing new poly sway bar bushings and at the same time put new Koni shocks all the way around. Old shocks had 20,000 miles on them. The coach rides smoother and the squeak is 99% gone. Heard a chirp on a big bump which makes me think the problem is still there, it's just not so egregious with the ride smoothed out. I'll take a peek at those dash screws.
Farmer Dean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
squeak